341 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course adding WW would broaden the focus.

That's the whole point!!!! You quoted it below...they will cease to be enhancements of brass and percussion..they will be entities unto themselves...many of us do not want any broadening of focus by adding things like WW or electronics

Untrue if DCI decides the definition includes WW, etc for it's corps.

So their definition supersedes ours because they're some "organization"? I don't think so

It's just a name.

So is Mike Davis...so is nuclear proliferation...so is peanut butter...

I'm willing to bet there'd be a point where so much crap was thrown into peanut butter that you'd finally say "this doesn't look like peanut butter...this doesn't taste like peanut butter...it's not peanut butter anymore, it's (fill in the blank)"

Why should he care about anything but doing the things he thinks best to expand drum corps and see that it thrives?

He doesn't care about anyone else's vision other than his own...he's a complete egomaniac..

You know, there was a time I actually felt like defending him back in the mid- and late '90s...then I hear his staff commentary tracks every year since 2000...my respect for him went down the tubes and will never come back...ever

Edited by JMS0527

His comments "Drum Corps is "Marching Band" can be interperated in no other way.
That wasn't a comment, it was the title of a presentation. You'd better read it before you invoke it.

That's the whole point!!!! You quoted it below...they will cease to be enhancements of brass and percussion..they will be entities unto themselves...many of us do not want any broadening of focus by adding things like WW or electronics

Actually, it doesn't matter what you (or the "many" of you) want. Doesn't matter what I want either. Otherwise..there would be WW already.

So their definition supersedes ours because they're some "organization"? I don't think so

Yes, it does IMO. DCI decides the operational environment and rules for DCI drum corps.

He doesn't care about anyone else's vision other than his own...he's a complete egomaniac..

He makes proposals...he can't impose them against the wishes of the rest of the voting members. Note that he hasn't removed The Cadets from DCI even when votes have not gone hi sway, so I disagree with you on the above.

You know, there was a time I actually felt like defending him back in the mid- and late '90s...then I hear his staff commentary tracks every year since 2000...my respect for him went down the tubes and will never come back...ever

That is your right.

That wasn't a comment, it was the title of a presentation. You'd better read it before you invoke it.

I was there and I don't believe that was the title of the presentation, though I don't remember what the title was nor if it even had a title. His whole point was that we need to be aware of how we present ourselves to the world at large in order for others to realize that we're special and unique. "Drum corps is marching band" was a "slide" in the PowerPoint presentation, preceeded by his statement of something on the order of "right now, if you were to ask most peope what is drum corps..." The context was totally missing when "Hopkins says drum corps is marching band" got emblazoned on the front page of the paper due to a reporter not supplying the prefixed context to the slide.

Did George present a PowerPoint "slide" that stated "Drum corps is marching band"? Yes. Does the elimination of the context of what came right before it change the meaning? Yes.

I was there and I don't believe that was the title of the presentation, though I don't remember what the title was nor if it even had a title. His whole point was that we need to be aware of how we present ourselves to the world at large in order for others to realize that we're special and unique. "Drum corps is marching band" was a "slide" in the PowerPoint presentation, preceeded by his statement of something on the order of "right now, if you were to ask most peope what is drum corps..." The context was totally missing when "Hopkins says drum corps is marching band" got emblazoned on the front page of the paper due to a reporter not supplying the prefixed context to the slide.

Did George present a PowerPoint "slide" that stated "Drum corps is marching band"? Yes. Does the elimination of the context of what came right before it change the meaning? Yes.

This is the point I was trying to make. I really did think it was the title, but I could be wrong (that's my quota for the year :laugh: ). Anyway, you are right, this was Hoppy's way of pointing out that people who don't know see drum corps as marching band. It was a statement of irony as he wanted to differentiate the two activities.

Do I have that right? I'm pretty sure that I do and, since I've already used up my wrong quota for 2007, I'd better be right! :laugh:

This is the point I was trying to make. I really did think it was the title, but I could be wrong (that's my quota for the year :laugh: ). Anyway, you are right, this was Hoppy's way of pointing out that people who don't know see drum corps as marching band. It was a statement of irony as he wanted to differentiate the two activities.

Do I have that right? I'm pretty sure that I do and, since I've already used up my wrong quota for 2007, I'd better be right! :laugh:

I'm sitting here laughing...Yes, you've got that right and if you need an increase in your quota for being wrong, you can have one of my exemptions as I'm granted them by the bulk.

I'm sitting here laughing...Yes, you've got that right and if you need an increase in your quota for being wrong, you can have one of my exemptions as I'm granted them by the bulk.
Thanks. I just might need it. :sshh: