Rules Proposals

2007.8 - Percussion Adjudication  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

I'm with MikeN...all it will do is make staffs decide to wait longer to clean.

Because staff members need a judge to tell them when to clean their line...riiiiiiiiight. The majority of discussions at critique during the early season are not about being clean or not. If they would be, all the staff has to say is "we finished the show last week, what do you expect?" and that's exactly right. This would make judge's comments during the first few shows quite meaningful. This proposal would also work quite well with propsed “environmental impact" addition to the sheets.

...the show should be a finished product at the first show...

WHAT!? Which decade are you posting from when this actually happens? Nowadays part of what the season entails is proving to the judges that your members can grow along with the show. If you come out in June with the exact same show you end with, that is bad. Real bad. If you meant a show should have AN ending with playing throughout, then I don't see why anyone would choose to do otherwise with this new rule in place.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, and I don't know how real this concern is...are there enough well trained DCI percussion judges for this to happen at every show?

yes. many do GE and Ensemble music too

People do not realize how much the current judging system costs. The proposal mentions that DCI would save some money because of a few (9 to 18) less events having an "extra" judge.

My best estimate is that it costs DCI approximately $600 per judge per show. That includes expenses like travel and hotel plus other administrative expenses such as training and assigning judges. If there are 140 to 150 events per year with either 8 or 9 judges per show (under the current system), that is over $750,000 per year spent on judging. And those costs tend to rise over time.

The number of judges used by DCI over the years has varied significantly. I believe there have been years when the system used as few as 6.

The competitive results actually do not vary that much under different judging systems - the Blue Devils are not going to suddenly miss Finals. Because all judges rank and rate as they are trained under the system in use for a given year, the overall rankings should be very similar using 6, 9, 12 or 20 judges.

So, if my assumption is correct that the rankings will be the same (or at least substantially the same), what does DCI get for the extra investment of that much money? I don't know. But, from a business point of view, there appears to me to be cost saving opportunities here. Perhaps the proposal doesn't go far enough.

i do understand what judging costs.

basically if you go back to an old format, you had field vis, ens vis, field perc, ens perc, field brass, ens brass, guard, and the 2 ge judges.

that's one extra judge.

here's another thing.....

if you get a drum guy on ensemble music, is he really doing the brass any favors?

conversly, if you get a brass guy on ensemble, is he doing the perc any favors?

no not really. human tendency is to go after that which you know.

I don't like the proposal. I am not really opposed to having just one drum judge, but they should either be on the field or the stands for the entire season, IMO. The problems with being able to accurately judge the battery AND pit would be the same in the second half of the season with a lone judge running around on the field, even if he is somewhat familiar with the drill. So it doesn't really address that supposed concern. They would need him in the stands/pressbox all season to do both with one judge. So, since Jeff isn't really sure what he is trying to accomplish I am not inclined to support it.

some do Mike and some don't.

i personally dont want to judge GE. i do it if assigned it, but it's far from my preference

If you meant a show should have AN ending with playing throughout, then I don't see why anyone would choose to do otherwise with this new rule in place.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I just dont like seeing corps get the nod that don't have a finished product. What infuriates me more is when the same corps gets a boost when the product is finished.

Elmo Blatch

Would they want to judge ONLY percussion? I know that I liked to judge a mix of captions when I was doing a lot of judging.

I've judged, and while I feel comfortable knowing that I'm probably going to get scores pretty close, I'd only be comfortable making a percussion tape. I think the feedback is the toughest part of the job, and there are probably more than a few people qualified to judge percussion that wouldn't want to touch GE. It's not because they can't recognize it, but verbalizing it and backing it up in critique is a different story.

So is DCI trying to be cheap with paying judges or are corps trying to hide sloppy drum lines?

you really need the early season feed back to get to the end season product

I see no reall reason for this

I don't think it's either situation. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a perspective at first. It's not going to effect early season judging all that much, and it will provide better ensemble feedback. Remember, there's no longer a percussion ensemble judge, but a music ensemble judge. You might imagine that the percussion feedback on a tape like that would be a bit limited.

Besides, if you can tell they are dirty from the stands, don't you think judges can, too?