Amazing Opener Endings

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track down 86 Bluecoats

turn your volume up and brace yourself.

Excellent choice. I loved that opener. It was really cool getting to hear you guys play that over an over during rehersal in Madison too. :)

Although I don't know what to say about our horn line specifically, I love the way Jimmy Wedge ended most songs, like they were never going to end, you thought they were going to end and there would be maybe 24 more counts to go. Not sure if anyone knows exactly what I mean, but I enjoyed it. Especially the end of Crown Imperial - although maybe that's how most songs were written.....

He was also very good at throwing in an ending say at the end of the 77 Rocky OTL, the judges tape said something like, only Jimmy Wedge could add an ending like that to any song and have such a smooth transition into it.....

If anyone else posts something here, could you do my fading memory a favor and in addition to listing the corps and the year, list the song?

My favorites (yes, I browsed the DCI Season Pass to refresh my memory):

'85 Garfield Cadets - Jeremiah Symphony (inverting infinity symbol)

'87 SCV - Russian Christmas Music (classic SVC)

'89 Phantom Regiment - New World (classic Regiment power)

'90 Star of Indiana - Belshazzar’s Feast (crazy Zingali shoestring drill)

'91 Star of Indiana - Pines of Rome (fast and loud and good)

'93 Phantom Regiment - Estancia (the first crabstep & 360 snap-turn from Regiment, along with yet another LOUD hornline)

'96 - Phantom Regiment - Shostakovich: Introduction to Fourth Ballet Suite (the pacing of the opener leads to a great climax)

'97 - Cadets of Bergen County - Celebration by Phillip Sparke (the ending drill was fast & furious)

'97 SCV - I'm cheating here a little, calling On the Waterfront as an extension of their opener (this & the next few years was where SCV really started showing off some velocity & power)

'97 Crossmen - Birdland (this show was just a great crowd pleaser & Xmen had a great corps this year - Birdland as an opener worked better than I could have imagined)

'98 SCV - Grogh (angry & loud & fast)

'99 SCV - The Canyon (soft, loud & fast, mysterious)

'99 Madison - Jesus Christ Superstar (classic Madison - had the crowd in the palm of their hands)

'00 Boston Crusaders - Bolero (the crowd loved it & the Crusaders jumped into DCI's upper echelon)

'03 Phantom Regiment - Canon in D (was this the loudest hornline ever?)

'04 SCV - Scheherazade (a great opening to a great show)

'06 Phantom Regiment - Scythian Suite (another great opening to a great show)

'06 SCV - Moto Perpetuo - Chains of Reaction (a great unique design)

sorry for the length of my list

Edited by billj

Again, '03 Regiment

They still use something similar to that as a warmup I believe... Phantom people would know more about that.

If anyone else posts something here, could you do my fading memory a favor and in addition to listing the corps and the year, list the song?

My favorites (yes, I browsed the DCI Season Pass to refresh my memory):

'85 Garfield Cadets - Jeremiah Symphony (inverting infinity symbol)

'87 SCV - Russian Christmas Music (classic SVC)

'89 Phantom Regiment - New World (classic Regiment power)

'90 Star of Indiana - Belshazzar’s Feast (crazy Zingali shoestring drill)

'91 Star of Indiana - Pines of Rome (fast and loud and good)

'93 Phantom Regiment - Estancia (the first crabstep & 360 snap-turn from Regiment, along with yet another LOUD hornline)

'96 - Phantom Regiment - Shostakovich: Introduction to Fourth Ballet Suite (the pacing of the opener leads to a great climax)

'97 - Cadets of Bergen County - Celebration by Phillip Sparke (the ending drill was fast & furious)

'97 SCV - I'm cheating here a little, calling On the Waterfront as an extension of their opener (this & the next few years was where SCV really started showing off some velocity & power)

'97 Crossmen - Birdland (this show was just a great crowd pleaser & Xmen had a great corps this year - Birdland as an opener worked better than I could have imagined)

'98 SCV - Grogh (angry & loud & fast)

'99 SCV - The Canyon (soft, loud & fast, mysterious)

'99 Madison - Jesus Christ Superstar (classic Madison - had the crowd in the palm of their hands)

'00 Boston Crusaders - Bolero (the crowd loved it & the Crusaders jumped into DCI's upper echelon)

'03 Phantom Regiment - Canon in D (was this the loudest hornline ever?)

'04 SCV - Scheherazade (a great opening to a great show)

'06 Phantom Regiment - Scythian Suite (another great opening to a great show)

'06 SCV - Moto Perpetuo - Chains of Reaction (a great unique design)

sorry for the length of my list

GOOD PICKS!!!

I couldn't agree more, minus the BD 03. If you watch SCV 99, the guard totally completes the moment. The rifles do an awesome toss and then the flags do a toss AFTEr the release of the chord. Its just a chilling moment.

SCV 99

BD 03, 04 (really long openers)

Phantom 96

Star 90

And probably my very favorite end of a closer would have to be the Cavies in 92. That final few sets of drill is still one of the most aesthetically memorable moments for me ever in drum corps.