Do you think this will happen?

Poll  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a possible scenario?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How long do you think it will take to occur?

• Within the next 5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-15 years
    • 16-20 years
    • 21-25 years
    • Over 25 years
    • Never

Sampled sounds are included in this years proposal.

What exactly is the purpose of this thread?

Crap. I meant prerecorded sounds, for example, pre-recorded narration that's played on a tape.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...don't forget, as well...there's more to life than drum corps.

If these things pass, and you hate them...then there's a lot of other stuff out there to enjoy in life. It's hard to cut back at first, but it can be done...I don't spend near as much as I used to, since the interest isn't really there as much.

DCI doesn't care if these rule change proposals #### you off; nor will they care if you rage against the machine on here or to them if they do pass. Conversely, I don't really care about DCI, either, now.

That's the way it is.

Plan accordingly for the upcoming season. :)

Edited by bawker

Funny you should say that... the first DCI Championship on th west coast... 10 minutes from my home, and I am actually thinking about not going. I never thought I would say that...

Been there, done that!

Lived within 50 miles of DCI Championships in Orlando.

Did not go.

How much do you want to bet that if these crap changes do take place, people out there will start to form a new organization around original drum corps? Branch off and start new...die hard drum corps fans won't let it die, I know I wouldn't. DCI may crumble that is a real possibility...but I think out of its ashes will come drum corps all over again. What is is, what was was, what will be was, and will be again.

-John Walker

How much do you want to bet that if these crap changes do take place, people out there will start to form a new organization around original drum corps? Branch off and start new...die hard drum corps fans won't let it die, I know I wouldn't. DCI may crumble that is a real possibility...but I think out of its ashes will come drum corps all over again. What is is, what was was, what will be was, and will be again.

-John Walker

I dunno.

I tend to think that as we pass more and more rules to bring in electronics etc, and widen the financial margins to get in the game... it might lead to an eventual drop off of II/III from DCI, with DCA ending up supporting the smaller corps at local shows.

Less performance opportunities for the smaller corps for sure, but it might help grow DCA even more...given how their "circuits" now are very regional in nature. The other smaller Div. I corps members would probably be absorbed by the eventual growth of the "big guys" from 150-200 on the field.

. Audience members, no longer entertained by the product they pay to see, gradually stop attending DCI events.

I think what would be more likely is just a shift in the standard audience member. The alumni of the older more traditional corps usually aren't going to like all the new changes, and that is to be expected. However, I know several people (myself being one) that have just gotten into this thing called Drum Corps in the last few years and we don't have those older memories or experiences affecting our view of the activity. I'm expecting that the newer crowd is going to see the amps and whatever else and appreciate them as long as it is still quality, and the same work and effort goes into it. I find that what makes me jump up and scream isn't the fact that they is no amplification; it is the fact that the energy behind what is being done is huge, and I think that energy can and will survive throughout whatever rule changes come. It might take some getting used to, most people hate change, but I'm just going to appreciate the energy and talent being put forth, no matter the form. That isn't to say that I will appreciate bad music that has been worked very hard on. I just don't think that bad music necessarily results from larger corps with more props and a wider selection of instrumental voices available. People will keep attending, and enjoy the product.

Yea, I've heard the arguments about decreasing crowds, etc. Just allow me to be a bit of the devil's advocate. ^0^

I think what would be more likely is just a shift in the standard audience member. The alumni of the older more traditional corps usually aren't going to like all the new changes, and that is to be expected. However, I know several people (myself being one) that have just gotten into this thing called Drum Corps in the last few years and we don't have those older memories or experiences affecting our view of the activity. I'm expecting that the newer crowd is going to see the amps and whatever else and appreciate them as long as it is still quality, and the same work and effort goes into it. I find that what makes me jump up and scream isn't the fact that they is no amplification; it is the fact that the energy behind what is being done is huge, and I think that energy can and will survive throughout whatever rule changes come. It might take some getting used to, most people hate change, but I'm just going to appreciate the energy and talent being put forth, no matter the form. That isn't to say that I will appreciate bad music that has been worked very hard on. I just don't think that bad music necessarily results from larger corps with more props and a wider selection of instrumental voices available. People will keep attending, and enjoy the product.

Yea, I've heard the arguments about decreasing crowds, etc. Just allow me to be a bit of the devil's advocate. ^0^

Nothing wrong with being devil's advocate... your points are valid and probably dead on. Sad to see that DCI is not worried about a middle ground.