The first amps proposal that PASSED, 2004

There you go again. He came on here and told you what he meant, and you continue to ignore his clarification.

you mean his CYA statement.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to an assist from Tony on RAMD, here is the amps proposal that passed in 2003 and took effect in 2004.

All formatting is Hoppy's, not mine, and I have held true to his formatting, so you can see just how he is. (Also, the quote feature tends to distort...not 100% his formatting)

http://web.archive.org/web/20030314162159/...es/XAmp_doc.pdf

Comments?

i love the fiscal impact comments, given how much he whined on his blog about how much he had to spend last year for it to #### up constantly

Man, I wanna put Hoppy's 2003 proposal and this years next to each other and ask, "Separated at birth?!?"

Better yet, print out a copy of each, hold one on top of the other and hold them up to a light. :P

I like how in 2006, two full years after amps were allowed his proposal STILL includes griping about not being able to hear steel drums (Bluecoats 2005), other percussion instruments (BD 2004, Cavies 2006), latin percussion (Madison 2005) and waves crashing (even though SCV did it in 1996 without amps).

Better yet, print out a copy of each, hold one on top of the other and hold them up to a light. :P

I like how in 2006, two full years after amps were allowed his proposal STILL includes griping about not being able to hear steel drums (Bluecoats 2005), other percussion instruments (BD 2004, Cavies 2006), latin percussion (Madison 2005) and waves crashing (even though SCV did it in 1996 without amps).

Blue's stell drums came out rather well i thought....and with less hissing than anything cadets had

This proposal, proposed by George Hopkins of the Cadets, does not allow for battery percussion or the brass lines to be amplified, nor is it a gateway to electronic instruments, according to Hopkins.

did anybody else catch this?

Am I the only one that thinks an official, business-esque proposal shouldn't have phrases like, "How great would that be!?" I mean, that's almost like writing :) in there.

A further addressing of something Hopkins wrote in the '04 proposal:

We need to be realistic: drum corps is NEVER going to be a significant contribution to the world. It will BARELY be a significant contribution to the music world.

We are talking about a theoretical potential audience of 3M people, or less than 1% of the American population. Realistically, for ALL drum corps operations in North America, we are probably looking at a maximum of 1M people from which to draw our audience (taking into account current marchers/alumni, families, fans, and realistically interested band kids). Will the drum corps experience make individuals' lives better? Certainly.

But let's be realistic about the cultural impact of drum corps.

So the contributions to the lives of the kids that participate in drum corps isn't significant.

The kids who march drum corps can make significant contributions to the world based upon the lessons they learn while marching. The more appeal drum corps has the more people will march and the greater the contribution to the world those marching can make.

So the contributions to the lives of the kids that participate in drum corps isn't significant.

I would like to think I answered that question at the end of the second paragraph.

The kids who march drum corps can make significant contributions to the world based upon the lessons they learn while marching. The more appeal drum corps has the more people will march and the greater the contribution to the world those marching can make.

Here's how I view it.

Music in general: Wide, virtually total, significance

Music generally played by corps (classical, jazz, esoteric original music): Niche audience at best

Marching band: Niche audience at best

Drum corps: Niche of the above two niches

Of course, people DIRECTLY involved in drum corps are going to use their experiences to lead better lives, and even fans might be emotionally moved by something they see or hear. But drum corps (or ANY marching art) as a (non-literal) earth-shaking experience? Not likely.

I would like to think I answered that question at the end of the second paragraph.

Here's how I view it.

Music in general: Wide, virtually total, significance

Music generally played by corps (classical, jazz, esoteric original music): Niche audience at best

Marching band: Niche audience at best

Drum corps: Niche of the above two niches

Of course, people DIRECTLY involved in drum corps are going to use their experiences to lead better lives, and even fans might be emotionally moved by something they see or hear. But drum corps (or ANY marching art) as a (non-literal) earth-shaking experience? Not likely.

But I think that you are taking the comments made in the proposal out of context. I think what is meant is that drum corps DOES significantly change the world... one person at a time. Drum corps people tend to be the ones who know how to work hard and make things happen. They have to or they won't make it through a summer! Assuming the proposed changes did bring in more people to the activity (which I'm not trying to say they do, but for the sake of argument) that is more people who get the drum corps experience and go out into the world and make things happen.

I don't think the activity itself will have a direct effect on the world either, but the indirect effects are enormous.

But I think that you are taking the comments made in the proposal out of context. I think what is meant is that drum corps DOES significantly change the world... one person at a time.

That's a fair interpretation.