The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

Not even close. One organization...one set of shows...different divisions. Not remotely the same thing.

You mean, like division II/III and division I?

Think about it, Mike. Would the summer marching band movement (and DCI) be better off as two divisions arguing over shared resources, or as two self-governed organizations (akin to DCI and DCA), working together in formally-defined partnerships?

A DCI marching band division is not the better way. But from your POV, it's the easier way for you to get what you want.

MikeD, your argument about the changes that have occurred still don't extrapolate to the addition of woodwinds. They added contras, but we already had brass instruments. That's like when Opera Buffa came along and used men (other than castrati) more frequently. They weren't adding something that wasn't human voice, just another range to the sound. Then you mentioned adding mallets and timpani. But this wasn't introducing percussion where there was none. This is adding more percussion (just like contras were more brass). Ooo, weird unis . . . but they're still uniforms. Changes in how corps enter/exit . . . well, they're still on the field, not a track or the parking lot. You can't hear pit? Add amps . . . but that's not adding a new type of instrument. Shows with themes? Well, they're still shows, and they still have music. The music just happens to have a common relation.

These things have evolved and will continue to evolve, but they are still their own categories. Woodwinds aren't brass, percussion, uniforms, fields, shows, or anything else that currently exists in the activity to evolve.

That would be pretty bad ### actually

Bad ### if it were possible.

Hey Einstein, I'll take a horn line of 70 G BUGLES over 140 piccolo, clarinet, and flute players, ANY DAY !!! :worthy:

:laugh:

That would be pretty bad ### actually

Bad###? Heck yes. In drum corps? Heck no. I don't go see an orchestra if I want to hear battery percussion; I don't go to DCI shows to see marching band. And guess what! I don't go to band shows to see drum corps.

So you are acknowledging the "slippery slope" argument.

slope = (y2-y1) / (x2-x1)

Oh, not that slope.

So sorry. Move along, nothing to see here! :P

Oh, not that slope.

:laugh: :lolhit: :worthy:

I think I need more sleep . . . that was actually funny to me.

Oh, not that slope.

this would be a straight slope. A slippery slope would increase in steepness more and more quickly as it leads into the abyss. :P :worthy::laugh:

IMO you can't accurately compare fall scholastic band shows with the drum corps touring schedule in the summer like that.

If we are to believe that turning drum and bugle corps into summer marching band is going to be successful, we should be able to see something in marching band that makes us believe it to be so, shouldn't we? I just don't see it. Marching band just has not brought about the same fan loyalty and traditions that drum and bugle corps have. What would be a better comparison?