1977 Cabs/Bridgemen

hawthorne was all solo's. there show was not difficult. of couse it never was. yes they could execute but c'mon it was all solo's.
Obviously your forgetting about the quarter notes...hell they even threw in a few eighth notes for effect!! Sun could have marched the remainder of their show after the opener to a rim tap and won on content (not to mention the execution of that content) alone!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously your forgetting about the quarter notes...hell they even threw in a few eighth notes for effect!! Sun could have marched the remainder of their show after the opener to a rim tap and won on content (not to mention the execution of that content) alone!

this is what i'm talking about. sun was all class. hawthorne NEVER had a difficult show. the corps was & is a sham

Weren't both corps music arranged by the Kerchner/DeLucia team???

George Tuthill was the Percussion Arranger for the Cabs back then.

this is what i'm talking about. sun was all class. hawthorne NEVER had a difficult show. the corps was & is a sham

Gee dude, how much "Haterade" did you drink?

donincardona said:

"hawthorne was all solo's. there show was not difficult. of couse it never was. yes they could execute but c'mon it was all solo's."

And also . . .

"this is what i'm talking about. sun was all class. hawthorne NEVER had a difficult show. the corps was & is a sham "

I am still reeling and hot under the collar over that one, but I will be polite.

My friend, I am afraid your bias is clearly showing and all objectivity has left you. How could any intelligent, experienced and fair-minded individual make a statement like this about the Hawthorne Caballeros?

To many an outside observer, it may appear Hawthorne's shows have been easy. Anyone who has played that music or marched those drills knows otherwise. Soloists featured do not necessarily make a show easy. While viewer attention might be attracted to the solos, judges always continued to evaluate the performance of the other 100+ members. Solos were never a 'time-out' for any judge. Any experienced drum corps person knows that.

To say that this corps 'was & is a sham' is a blatantly biased remark, bordering on ignorance. You don't like what we play? Fine. You don't care for our drill? That's okay. Our style is not your taste? We can live with that. You're clearly entitled to find another another corps you like better and root for them.

However, to make a remark that the corps 'was & is a sham' is simply an example of the old, ugly 'sour grapes' coming to the fore once again. Worse, it dishonors the hard work and integrity of Mr. James J. Costello and the hundreds of men and women who have marched in the corps he helped to start and build into a National and World Champion. Today's Caballeros still carry on the proud tradition.

I believe there are still championships yet to be won by Hawthorne. If anything, THEY have been a 'class act' their entire existence. I am proud to have been a part of both the Caballeros Competing Corps and the Alumni Corps.

As far as Hawthorne's show in 1977 being not nearly as challenging as the Sunrisers...well, that my friends is a fact...listen to the album...however, Hawthorne as a "sham"..come on now!!! My personal feelings notwithstanding, you do not win all those championships by being a "sham"...you got to be able to give credit where credit is due..

Edited by VOReason

As far as Hawthorne's show in 1977 being not nearly as challenging as the Sunrisers...well, that my friends is a fact...listen to the album...

Once again you are stating your opinion as fact. Listening to the album won't prove anything. I have seen the video from that year a few times and the "fact" is that these were two highly prepared drum corps who both had well developed shows. Each of them performed very well that night and it was the Sunrisers time to win.

As far as Hawthorne's show in 1977 being not nearly as challenging as the Sunrisers...well, that my friends is a fact...listen to the album...however, Hawthorne as a "sham"..come on now!!! My personal feelings notwithstanding, you do not win all those championships by being a "sham"...you got to be able to give credit where credit is due..

Hawthorne didn't have the most difficult of all shows ... What they did have was a lot of talent and programming that could really turn on the crowd.

Hawthorne didn't have the most difficult of all shows ... What they did have was a lot of talent and programming that could really turn on the crowd.

Well said. They always turned on the crowd. The Cabs were certainly a powerhouse in the 70's which made winning that year sweet for us.

i guess my take on it was that sun had a very difficult & progressive show. they executed very well. hawthorne was all solo's. there show was not difficult. of couse it never was. yes they could execute but c'mon it was all solo's. if rochester or neyork or the hurc's did that they probably would have been in 10th. no disrespect intened but hawthorne won alot in those day's because they were hawthorne. not how good they were. in 1972 at the nationals rochester beat them by 2 tenth's of a point. in 6 day's they went up 8 point's to win in schenectady and then dca the following week. i'm sorry but that just didn't happen. tyhere was always politics with that corps. sorry but that's my opinion

As a previous poster said, "Opinions are like a**holes.......everyone has one"....

If you never marched or taught the Caballeros, then you have NO idea what you are talking about. Politics have NOTHING to do with what you say. And believe me....I have mached in BOTH of the corps around this major topic....the Sunrisers AND the Caballeros. And as a Caballero, I KNOW we had to beat all of our competition by at least 10 points, just to have a .1 margin of victory. Believe me....this comes from experience!

Hawthorne WON all those years because they WERE good.....Politics had nothing to do with it!!

Go read about the history of DCA, and the Caballeros in DCA and you might get a clue on how hard it was for the Caballeros 'back in the day'.