1977 Cabs/Bridgemen

The final score has everything to do with it since that is what history will record as the measuring stick.
Then I guess the bottom line is Sunrisers won. As far as opinion, dust off the album and listen to the recording. Sun's content is miles ahead and the drum line is just in a different time zone!! Not to mention one of Sun's trademarks back in the day..flawless M&M technique! Just took awhile for the judging community to get with the program. The result of which was 1978 and Sun's magnificent run throughout the 80's. But, you know what Confusious says about opinions.."everyone has one and they all stink"...even my own!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, yes..... young people. They are authorities on a number of subjects. :P

J/K of course, Andrew..... and obviously I'm going to disagree with you here on the 1977 DCA outcome!

I'll definitely agree with you that 1977 was one heck of a summer for drum corps.... both DCI and DCA.

Frank was not with Cabs in 1977...... his rookie year with Sunrisers was 1982, so '77 was before his time. I think the Cabs' main soprano soloists that year were George DelMonte and Gene Marrotta..... two great players.

The Bridgemen in 1977... first time I saw 'em that season was at an early-season show somewhere in northern NJ.... and they didn't have a good day at all. Rough performance. I thought, "this could be a long summer for them."

Next time I saw 'em that summer was at the Dream contest in Jersey City.... and they blew me away. An incredible improvement from that early-season performance. They had an awesome show that year!

Fran

Fran Fran Fran :) I am on a cruise ship in the port of Cozumel right now paying 40 cents a minute for internet access to say this............:) Maybe I am talking out of turn.......probably am....but just like nobody outside of NYC wants to see the Yankees win every year.....nobody wants to see a corps win year after year after year....its boring. So when you win in 72, 73, 74.....and probably should have won in 75....then you win in 76....you aren't going to win in 77.......and as you and so many others have pointed out on this site before......it isn't like it was necessarily totally objective back in the 70s with people making up 5 to 6 points or more in the course of a season......something unheard of now..........now......having said that.........no doubt in my mind Sun deserved to win the rest of the titles they won.......but I don't know about 77.....I have to tilt towards the Cabs that year buddy :) Later.....I have to go donate some more money at the blackjack table :)

Regards,

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

and as you and so many others have pointed out on this site before......it isn't like it was necessarily totally objective back in the 70s with people making up 5 to 6 points or more in the course of a season......something unheard of now..........

Regards,

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

Just a question, what does objectivity have to do with making up 5 to 6 points during the course of a season. If you were around in "88" you saw the Bushwackers make up 14 points in what was nothing short of a miraculous season. If you saw us early you would have thought no-way but alot of hard\smart work and a great show made it happen. That being said a corp that starts out a we did that year (17 horns) today is usually doomed because they are either unable to fill their ranks, don't have the program\staff, aren't able to maybe rehearse as efficiently or have people who are willing to make the sacrifices neccesary to pull it off.

Another factor since you mention the 70's you had more shows in a season. My first year in DCA and throught the 70's we had as many as 22 shows that being twice the amount you have today which gave you more looks from the judging community and more time to get it together. Ask the Yankee Rebels about 1971, they started out horribly dropped out for awhile (something you can't do today) and almost pulled a rabbit out of the hat at the end.

no doubt in my mind Sun deserved to win the rest of the titles they won.......but I don't know about 77.....I have to tilt towards the Cabs that year buddy :)

Hey.... what happened in 1977 STAYS in 1977, okay??? :P

Fran

Hey.... what happened in 1977 STAYS in 1977, okay??? :P

Fran

Just like what hangs in your closet should stay in your closet... :worthy:

• 5 weeks later...

all these final outcomes seemed right to me as I witnessed, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81

Sunrisers and Matadors had to fight an uphill battle against not having the been championship winners before

Bucs were as noteworthy in 77 & 78 as they were in 79 & 80

I liked Rochester in 77 too

its tough when your corps is excellent and doesnt win

thats why scores arent all that matters

Edited by BeinGreen

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, the 70's were my favorite era of drum corps (yes I'm serious). Drum corps was just blossoming into a great organization and entertainment venue, always amazes me that from semi-humble beginnings what drum corps has become today. Not only that but the crowds, even in the 70's were HUGE!

Now my question regards the 1977 DCA and DCI seasons.

As we all know in 1977 the Bridgemen were DQ'ed for having an overage member. In that same year however, the Hawthorne Caballeros Played a similar show with Pagliacci and Land of Make Believe (both numbers that the Bridgemen played in that year). Around the 4:24 mark in that show the famous Hawthorne soloists (whose names escape me at the moment (wasn't Ponzo one of them?) play the Echano solo with the colorguard kneeling around them in a circle doing random movement with their arms including clapping in circles. This is VERY similar to the Land of Make Believe solo performed by the Amazing Jim Brady that same year in the Bridgemen show. I always wondered if Cabs and Bridgemen shared some info and moves in the same season (Similar staff?). Being only 45 minutes away it would seem very possible.

Two VERY awesome drum corps, the 70's were great for drum corps fans like me that like ENTERTAINING shows with lots of sop solos!

BTW, my opinion Cabs shoulda won in '77... :-)

Andrew,

I know this was an old post, but I just read it. I was fortunate enough to have played with the Cabs from '72 - '77 winning four DCA titles in my six seasons. '77 was by far my favorite too. The primary soloists that year were George DelMonte who did the heavy work in "Echano", Gene Morotta who also soloed in "Echano" and again in "Pagliacci" and me Steve Raclowski. I played the solo at the end of the show from '73 through '77. Bobby "Slim" Collins was also a soloist, playing the note only dogs could hear at the end of "Pagliacci".

We shared some instructors with the Bridgemen that year. Larry Kerchner arranged the horn line for both corps as did Dennis Deluccia with the Drum lines. I don't think there was any sharing of info in the coincidental circle around the soloists as both corps had different drill staffs.

Thanks for appreciating what we did during that era. It was a fun time to be a part of Hwthorne. It must have been fun to be in the audience too. You're right the crowds were huge abd the shows were EXCITING!!! Oh yeah!

• 3 weeks later...
We shared some instructors with the Bridgemen that year. Larry Kerchner arranged the horn line for both corps as did Dennis Deluccia with the Drum lines. I don't think there was any sharing of info in the coincidental circle around the soloists as both corps had different drill staffs.

Thanks for appreciating what we did during that era. It was a fun time to be a part of Hwthorne. It must have been fun to be in the audience too. You're right the crowds were huge abd the shows were EXCITING!!! Oh yeah!

Very exciting times!

For the record, Dennis Delucia was with Sun from the end of 75 through the 83 season. He started with Hawthorne in 84.

i guess my take on it was that sun had a very difficult & progressive show. they executed very well. hawthorne was all solo's. there show was not difficult. of couse it never was. yes they could execute but c'mon it was all solo's. if rochester or neyork or the hurc's did that they probably would have been in 10th. no disrespect intened but hawthorne won alot in those day's because they were hawthorne. not how good they were. in 1972 at the nationals rochester beat them by 2 tenth's of a point. in 6 day's they went up 8 point's to win in schenectady and then dca the following week. i'm sorry but that just didn't happen. tyhere was always politics with that corps. sorry but that's my opinion