Biggest/Smallest Snarelines

While watching PR 95 the other day (6 snares with the blue drums)

Actually Phantom marched 9 snares in '95 all season long. Oh, and the drums were purple...Barney freakin' purple. I know they matched the guard uniforms but man those things were ugly (the drums, not the guard).

I think that in 1990 Star of Indiana marched only 5 snares

Yep, they had 8 during pre-tour but they had 3 dudes quit (2 on the same day) before they left for first tour.

Edited by Hulka

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In, I think 85 or 86 Patriots marched 12 or more in parades. They took pit people and put them in the battery. I have seen corps with one and two snares.

Kilties in 78 started the year with these kind of, shall I say 'hybrid' (that's the polite term) things that were sort of a snare with about 6-8 tom-like things mounted around them. Just used a line of those - no snares or tenors. IIRC, they dumped them for a more traditional setup after about 3 weeks.

were they octabans?

were they octabans?

Glassmen used Octabans in '92 and '93 during Northwind, regular tenors during the rest of the show.

I can't remeber if it was 87 or 88, but the Ventures did most of the show without a field battery and then marched one during the closer.

Ventures had a small assemblage of percussion players that year so they put what they had in the pit. Great idea if you have a small line. I tried coaxing a band director to do that but he insisted on having his 6 battery march a show. They could have been more valuable without marching.

Yep, they had 8 during pre-tour but they had 3 dudes quit (2 on the same day) before they left for first tour.

As I remember it, it was one quit and two 'quited' ie. cut. The remaining played their butts off.

that's right, Mikey... Bass #8 wore the 1938 Scout's uniform in the presentation of uniforms.

But you were awesome... ^OO^ (sorry you're just out of view in my avatar... :P )

Here's a cooler one:

216669611_1a6a594bd8_b.jpg

Yup #8 bass was mister "old school Frank- from Pittsburg".

He heard he'd get cut out of all the drumline photos (and avatars) so he turned himself into C.H. Beebe and got in the "lawn chair/shade tree" section.

Actually he found out he had a slipped disk in his back so I was bestowed the honor of carrying "the beast".

As I remember it, it was one quit and two 'quited' ie. cut. The remaining played their butts off.

I marched with one of the two guys that quit on the same day and he said the two hadn't talked about it prior to the fateful day. They were both like "you're packing your stuff and quitting, too?!" It's possible the one that "quit" later was actually cut.

You're very right about the remaining playing their butts off. Granted they were playing on mylar but that five-man snare lines project more volume than most top 12 lines.

Edited by Hulka

The Kilts picture is from Whitewater, midway through the season. For whatever reason, I seem to recall tha the snare octobon thing was the scaled back version of the first concept (that the snares had more stuff on them earlier in the season), but that could just be memory getting faulty.

For a 12th place corps, the Kilts that year presented several percussion concepts for the first time. They were the first corps in Finals to have a set of concert tymps on the front sideline (rather than marching tymps), with some grounded latin percussion joining them to make a mini pit. The next season, Devils added bongos to their snares, similar to what Kilts were doing here, but only 2, one of them at either side of the snare.

Whatever happened to Jim Camerota, btw?

Edited by mobrien