What rules have ever been repealed?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know where I was in 88?

being 2!

(feel old yet? :rolleyes:)

Why you little.. you .. you.... LURKER!!

hush up or I'll change your diaper!

Edited by ScribeToo

voice. as i said at one point in the late 70's and early 80's, it was a 1 point penalty to use voice. then it was abolished.

The penalty was taken away, but it wasn't a rules change that was put in and then abolished as the thread refers. Voice was just not legal from the beginning. It wasn't the BOD making one rule and then changing it down the road. This was something we inherited from the VFW and American Legion rules.

This has become a semantics debate.

I do know that prior to 1977, use of voice on the field was prohibited with the exception of drum majors & color guard captains. DCI allowed singing/chanting in 1977 and 1978; then disallowed it once again 1979-1983; then re-allowed it starting in 1984.

For those who don't remember, Garfield's "Amen" was the best-known use of voice in that era. They sang it near the end of the closer they used in 1977, 1978 and 1979. Of course, it was against the rules in 1979, drawing a 1.0 penalty each time they did it. Come late-season, they took the singing out to avoid the penalty. IIRC, they also sang "Amen" in early-season 1983 performances (in keeping with Bernstein's "Mass"), again taking a penalty each time, and again dropping it mid-season.

Staying on the subject of use of voice in drum corps in the 70's and before: I heard that it was illegal to use voice to sing or chant or anything, but you could yell "drill" or something like that, if a judge was in your way, to avoid a collision. Saying anything else would be a penalty or tick or something. Is there any truth to this?

Staying on the subject of use of voice in drum corps in the 70's and before: I heard that it was illegal to use voice to sing or chant or anything, but you could yell "drill" or something like that, if a judge was in your way, to avoid a collision. Saying anything else would be a penalty or tick or something. Is there any truth to this?

I have never heard of that...see sig for marching years. We took pride in taking out judges! :P

Why you little.. you .. you.... LURKER!!

hush up or I'll change your diaper!

And then change mine?!

Please, oh please!!! :wub::wub:

This debate came up when I was in the Sharpshooters. Our director said that there was "no talking, sneezing, coughing or farting on the field." Our horn instructor (also brass arranger for North Star) said, "penalize you? If he sees a big contra heading for him, he's gonna thank you for saving his life!"

I marched in the late 1980s, and corps were only starting to realize that the legalization of voice allowed them to warn judges of impending collisions, instead of risking injury (not just to the judge ^0^ , but to one's self).