Hopkins will push for trombones next

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how we do them at Colorado State. They're built into the pregame. That was early in the season, for the last few, we did them blindfolded.

What was so bad about them? I'm all for experimentation in bell-front brass instrumentation. I love what the Blue Devils tried with the Meehaphones in the late eighties...corps should try that stuff now. Maybe a whole section of piccolo trumpets, or bass trumpets, or fluegelhorns, or altophones, or valve trombones... Screw woodwinds, vocals, and electronics...you can experiment with something the activity is actually about.

let's don't and say we did.

What was so bad about them? I'm all for experimentation in bell-front brass instrumentation. I love what the Blue Devils tried with the Meehaphones in the late eighties...corps should try that stuff now. Maybe a whole section of piccolo trumpets, or bass trumpets, or fluegelhorns, or altophones, or valve trombones... Screw woodwinds, vocals, and electronics...you can experiment with something the activity is actually about.

I totally agree. The drum corps activity does not need to create new rules for the addition of new instruments to make the activity more exciting. Why not use what we already have available to us already? There are many different avenues that can be taken in the percussion field as well as different arrangement of brass instruments. Lets see how creative they can be.

I agree, too. I forget that there is so much room to explore with in the guidelines. Good point Hrothgar!

Explore within the guidelines - an awesome idea! I have always wondered about experimenting with different bell-front brass, including alto and bass trumpets, higher key trumpets, flugels (used differently), and the cornet family.

speaking of ######## instruments, I remember back in the mid 80s (85?) Regiment had DEG make these horns to fill in between the French horns and Baritones. Can't remember what they called them, but looked like a small baritone and used a 12c mouthpiece. the tuning on them was atrocious and they only got used for 1 year.

358336803_7135b63ae6_o.png

Imagine a fortissimo, perfectly in tune ensemble sound from an hornline comprised of these. :lol:

ehh... Easier said then done. We only use 4-5 types of brass instruments for a reason, it is hard enough to get what we have now to sound good. How many people here have EVER heard more then ONE piccolo trumpet at a time? maybe blast did it, but that is all I can think of right now. Same with the other non corps instruments, they are never really played more then one in an ensemble because it is almost impossible to play them. I am sure they have been times when you have 5-10 pics, but you are not getting a bunch of 18-20 year old music ed majors to play them.

Edited by CornoBehnke