34 + ME

Lee may not have read the proposal - the rules proposals were well over 100 pages in length, and he was not at the Rules Congress. He never planned to go to that meeting. Greg and I were there, and we participated in the discussion.

The so-called 'Renegades Rule' was separate - introduced at the October meeting (which we did not attend as it was the same day as our corps banquet) and voted on there. We had to revisit it at the Rules Congress because that is the way by-law changes are handled.

So Chris.....what's the deal with the region sanctioning modification that rendered the Renerule more or less moot???

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading all this (headache time) and seeing the suggestions about classes and the claim that there is a "gap" that needs to be filled...

I would like to state that DCA only has two classes... Class A and Open... they are clearly defined...

Mini corps is an enlargement of brass ensembles as a classification for I&E... Yes DCA runs a championship for what have become known as "mini corps" should they decide to compete at the I&E contest - but DCA as competitive drum corps does not have a mini corps class... The rules in question are to govern the field corps championship...

MCA - with DCA's non interfering support - is trying to form a mini corps circuit...

Therefore, there is no gap in classifications... A decision has been made that there are two classes of field drum corps and specific numbers requirements have been set to grow the activity and entertain the audiences...

DCA operates I&E, at least per the rulebook, unless I have missed something

and there is a hard limit to the upper number of competiting members in a mini-corps

and there is a hard limit to the lower number of competiting members in a Class A

Semantics (is that the right spelling?) or not, there is a gap.

But alas, this still isn't the point of this thread

After reading all this (headache time) and seeing the suggestions about classes and the claim that there is a "gap" that needs to be filled...

I would like to state that DCA only has two classes... Class A and Open... they are clearly defined...

Mini corps is an enlargement of brass ensembles as a classification for I&E... Yes DCA runs a championship for what have become known as "mini corps" should they decide to compete at the I&E contest - but DCA as competitive drum corps does not have a mini corps class... The rules in question are to govern the field corps championship...

MCA - with DCA's non interfering support - is trying to form a mini corps circuit...

Therefore, there is no gap in classifications... A decision has been made that there are two classes of field drum corps and specific numbers requirements have been set to grow the activity and entertain the audiences...

Respectfully disagree....you either have to drop members to make teh max minicorps number, or saddle yourself with plugs to make minimum Class a if you can't recruit active players in teh first place....thus, there IS a gap.

Well, maybe there will be interest in revisiting the idea of larger Minicorps limits. It seemed quite clear that there was a 'that's the way it always has been' attitude before when larger limits were discussed. But if DCA and the events are not interested in the small units maybe the Minicorps world can embrace them and give them a performance avenue. After all a 34 member corps might send folks to get a hot dog before the Bucs come on, but the same corps in a Minicorps event would be one of the BIG BOYS! I don't know, but it sounds like an opportunity to me. One man's trash, another's treasure.

Maybe keep the 21 and under groups as Mini Corps and make a 21-34 Stage Corps class. Sounds like something I would pay to see if I wasn't a performer. What do you say MCA? Mind the Gap.

Edited by mchromik

Regarding Mini corps or Class A let's not forget two differences:

No Field show vs Field show

(Until 2007) One show a year vs (hopefully) multiple shows a year

It's apples and oranges as it's a lot harder to recruit with one standstill show DCA Weekend as your only time to perform. IOW, if someone wants to do a field show not sure how much they would consider joining a Mini. If someone wants to perform more than once even an Alumni corps would be an option.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Well, maybe there will be interest in revisiting the idea of larger Minicorps limits. It seemed quite clear that there was a 'that's the way it always has been' attitude before when larger limits were discussed. But if DCA and the events are not interested in the small units maybe the Minicorps world can embrace them and give them a performance avenue. After all a 34 member corps might send folks to get a hot dog before the Bucs come on, but the same corps in a Minicorps event would be one of the BIG BOYS! I don't know, but it sounds like an opportunity to me. One man's trash, another's treasure.

Maybe keep the 21 and under groups as Mini Corps and make a 21-34 Stage Corps class. Sounds like something I would pay to see if I wasn't a performer. What do you say MCA? Mind the Gap.

MCA has its first contest in April, with more in the works,....................membership is growing, we are using the DCA Mini Corps sheets, and are developing a more defined set of judging criteria based on the same,.................all in an effort to further develop the mini corps activity,......................and as I said earlier in this thread, DCA COULD embrace these groups, use the smaller 50' x 70' area marked out on the DCA field competition field, allow these groups to be judged by the smaller panel of judges, let them open the shows, etc,.............if you watched the Mini Corps at DCA last year, there was not one group that disappointed the fans that were there, and IMO, DCA could/should embrace them and get these corps more involved in the compeditive all age drum corps activity,...................one thing that I think will need to be addressed very soon tho is to raise the limit on the number of competing corps, because with this new rule, I would guess there will be more entrants in the mini corps venue at I&E than the 10 corps limit that now exists,......................

Regarding Mini corps or Class A let's not forget two differences:

No Field show vs Field show

One show a year vs (hopefully) multiple shows a year

It's apples and oranges as it's a lot harder to recruit with one standstill show DCA Weekend as your only time to perform. IOW, if someone wants to do a field show not sure how much they would consider joining a Mini. If someone wants to perform more than once even an Alumni corps would be an option.

if all goes well Jim, there WILL be more shows,...................and more member corps in MCA!

....and that decision applies only to the Northeast.

I guess my opinion differs from yours, Tom. I don't see the 35-member minimum "growing the activity". I find the DCA-South model (which still allows corps with under 35 members) to be more growth-focused. Of course, you could argue that making show sponsors happier "grows" more shows - but it doesn't grow more corps.

And which is in shorter supply? Seems to me that the NE has enough shows. Most of those shows only have five competing corps, though. Quite a few only get three or four competitors, and require several alumni corps performances just to create a viable event. Sounds like a couple more corps would be helpful.