34 + ME

I guess no ones bothered looking at this from the startup corps standpoint.

You're a corps just starting up, you own 0 horns, 0 drums, and no props or guard equipment. You live 1,000 plus miles from DCA so it's gonna costs $1,000 per member just to go to DCA, almost all, if not all of which is coming out of the members pocket. So now go and recruit for your corps. Your potential corps member needs to buy or own their own equipment, have $1,000 to give to the corps to cover expenses every year that they participate. Plus commit 50% of their entire weekends for a year to your cause. Only 34 more to go to qualify to compete.

As far as show moneys, not that I know the actual numbers just being a member, but from what I understand, it doesn't even cover the costs to get to the show to start with. So if show sponsors are ###### about the corps PAYING MONEY out of THEIR POCKETS to get to YOUR SHOW, then #### on them. If you want performers for free, then call the Army Band. Only you're not allowed to charge admission if you do that. Or the local musicians union, where I'm sure you're not likely to get such a great deal on the costs.

Some times you can't get 34 people to cough up $1000 total, let alone $34,000. There's no real answer here, no two corps start the same way and take the same path, the final destination is the only constant DCA finals. There was no one around here who was willing to help us start, plenty of people though to put you down for trying. We've had more downs than ups but even with the current events, we've just got to carry on.Other than giving up its the only way to go.Mostly the best thing is that in this community and this internet outlet there is strong support from those groups who have started before us.They know the trials and errors they went through and are always there to cheer you on. In the stands, in the hotel lobby and here,we are encouraged by the support of others.Rules come and go, we'll live with it.

Edited by jeff danchik

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be at least 10 alumni corps present for the Alumni Spectacular. If you need a body or 2 they'll probably help.

I skipped over a few pages ... so I hope this isn't a repeat.

In the spirit of being proactive. ....... I would suggest the alumni corps be contacted officially by someone who wishes to coordinate this effort and line up some help should it be needed.

Well said Jim. You are fortunate to have so much to enjoy. I value my time, and consequently my money, as much as anyone else does. Therefore, I would rather spend it watching corps I can't see every where. I can see sub 35 member drum corps anywhere.

Oh, please. How many under-35 all-age corps does DCA have - one? How many have there ever been - three? You make it sound as if the activity has been overrun by small corps.

Oh, please. How many under-35 all-age corps does DCA have - one? How many have there ever been - three? You make it sound as if the activity has been overrun by small corps.

No, there haven't been many... yet. This year, I was expecting to see about 5 or so more. Guess not, now.

As someone mentioned in the other thread on this stuff, if you're really concerned about this contact corps directors or DCA directly.

Ya done that? I'm bettin not.

Your BETTIN' WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have!!!! The 34+ME is in an Email I sent out BEFORE it was on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I am sending to more corps! :rolleyes:

Also for a small startup corps there's other issues with regards to bus seating. i.e. You have no equimnet truck, soooo. 2 seats are taken up with uniforms. 3 seats are taken up with coolers and contras. There's at least one single mom who has no choice but to bring her 2 kids with her, or just NOT go. There's at least one under 18 kid who has at least one parent going with them. And the bass drums don't easily fit under a two bay bus. Much less a drum major podium. I'm just saying that 35 might be a nice number(in theory), but when you look at all of the other factors, it's a freaking huge number.

Maybe not many last year since several smaller corps didn't make it out to DCA last year. HW, SS, GF. However with the number of recent startups the potential is there for probably at least half a dozen corps with 35 (assuming everyone can make the DCA trip) or less. Remember, we're NOT counting the drum majors, and honorguard.

By looking at the 2006 Prelims video, and counting members, and hopefully not on field judges or rain drops. Not that one could easily tell with the camera angles. Or that the previous years or coming years corps are the same size.

SoCal Dream > 35

Gulf Coast Sound < 35 <==<<<

Lakeshoremen < 35 <==<<<

White Sabers > 35

Alliance > 35

Chops > 35

Govenaires <= 35 <==<<< (but really hard to tell and close)

Sooooo.... If this were in effect last year, 3 out of 7 affected corps. Almost 50% of Class A. Probably more if Heat Wave and Shenandoah Sound would have made it to DCA last year. Noting that at least two of those potentially affected corps hold Class A champoinship titles. If the number was 40, at least two more of the above wouldn't qualify, if not all of the above.

I skipped over a few pages ... so I hope this isn't a repeat.

In the spirit of being proactive. ....... I would suggest the alumni corps be contacted officially by someone who wishes to coordinate this effort and line up some help should it be needed.

speaking as a member of an alumni corps who's bus didn't come in until Saturday afternoon, you may not even be able to find what you are looking for there. you may be best off contacting people in advance so you know for certain you have the bodies you are looking for.

Who decides which corps appear at shows? Does DCA dictate or can the show sponsor request certain corps. Wondering because of the "sponsors not happey with very small corps" comments. Got an idea after reading Toms comments but not sure how recently he is talking about. Seemed in the 70s it was the same corps at the same places year after year. Not sure about today as few shows in my area to check.

Sponsors can, and do, request certain corps for their shows. We try to accomodate as much as we can. But, when two shows on the same day both request the Caballeros, obviously, somebody will be disappointed :)