34 + ME

I can see it now....people walking the bus parking lot holding little handwritten signs on torn up cardboard boxes......

"Will march for food"

"I can be your #35"

"Are you 34? U need me"

"Plug Needed"

"One plug 4 sale"

And no, I do not think the original poster is over-reacting. This rule was implemented and I have a feeling DCA wont budge on it. Planning ahead is worth it.

If we run out of plugs, what's the street walker situation like around town ^0^

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This needs to be on the DCA website. If I #### off anyone with this, too bad.

Drum Corps Associates

GROW or DIE!

(Because small corps are just plain bad for business . . . )

:laugh:

Edited by Periphery

This needs to be on the DCA website. If I #### off anyone with this, too bad.

Drum Corps Associates

GROW or DIE!

(Because small corps are just plain bad for business . . . )

:laugh:

Oh VERY nice! :laugh:

Hey, just think...if a itty bitty corps folds up because this rule keeps people from wanting to join their local corps -- i.e. "Thanks for recruiting me, but if we can't compete at DA shows, forget it" -- then for one people can actually REALISTICALLY blame teh ruling body for killing a corps as a direct result of that body's action....

Very different from people saying DCI kills corps in spite of all the other factors out of their control that have done it.

Just keep in mind, you can only perform on the field with 1 corps at prelims (no limit on Honor Guard)

i did not know that

2 years can kill a corps barely surviving on the bubble.

Or even one year if former members scatter to other corps or get used to having a lot of free time formerly taken up by corps practice.

1973 Westshoremen were inactive and total kaput. Corps came back late into the 1974 season and was only able to perform at two shows (one was Prelims) due to late start. Some people thought the corps should have stayed off the field in 1974 also and start preparing for 1975. Instead corps BoD pushed to do "something/anything" in 1974 because they had no idea if anyone would care enough to join after a two year layoff. As it was 50%+ of the corps was rookies as a lot of the former members were retired or in Reading or Baltimore.

There's something that nobody has yet mentioned - as a possible way around this new rule.

As I recall, the DCA rules say something to the effect that the honor guard is not counted toward the total number of members on the field; nor is it judged - so long as it doesn't perform as a part of the program. At that point, presumably, its numbers would be counted into the corps' number and it would be judged.

What is there that would preclude our little tiny corps going out with eight or ten people in the honor guard, participating somehow in the corps' opener, and then assuming the honor guard's customary position in the corner.

Hmmmm..... Where there's a rule, there's a way.

I can see it now.... a corps going out with seven horns, six drums, six in the color guard, six in the pit, and ten in the honor guard.

Andy

There's something that nobody has yet mentioned - as a possible way around this new rule.

As I recall, the DCA rules say something to the effect that the honor guard is not counted toward the total number of members on the field; nor is it judged - so long as it doesn't perform as a part of the program. At that point, presumably, its numbers would be counted into the corps' number and it would be judged.

What is there that would preclude our little tiny corps going out with eight or ten people in the honor guard, participating somehow in the corps' opener, and then assuming the honor guard's customary position in the corner.

Hmmmm..... Where there's a rule, there's a way.

I can see it now.... a corps going out with seven horns, six drums, six in the color guard, six in the pit, and ten in the honor guard.

Andy

OK, as a former member of a Honor Guard (parts of 2 seasons experience) I volunteer. Will even provide my own uniform if you don't mind green.

Seriously, thought of another reason why taking a year off can kill corps. Guessing some corps have long term loans out on equipment. How the heck can a corps make enough money to keep the loans from defaulting?