What would be bigger....

for goodness sakes, can we stop bowing to OSU's Marching Band and open our eyes to the dozens of other college bands that are (IMO) much better than "TBDBITL"?!? Yes it is somewhat challenging to make the OSU band, but does not possess the quality members that a top level DCI corps has.......knowing some of the people that have made their line there, i can say that it definitly isnt that hard.....seriously people, get off the bandwagon (pun kinda intended) and make your own informed decisions....OSU makes me sick!!!

thank you Urban Meyer (Univ. of Cincinnati '84) for demolishing OSU, and finally allowing the OSU fans to shut the heck up!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take 11.5 minutes marching on the field at Finals (any top 12 corps, not just the winner) over being in any college marching band for a full season.

But that's just me.

Edited by crashhelmi36

My first response would be "Who cares?"

But the right response would be DCI

for goodness sakes, can we stop bowing to OSU's Marching Band and open our eyes to the dozens of other college bands that are (IMO) much better than "TBDBITL"?!? Yes it is somewhat challenging to make the OSU band, but does not possess the quality members that a top level DCI corps has.......knowing some of the people that have made their line there, i can say that it definitly isnt that hard.....seriously people, get off the bandwagon (pun kinda intended) and make your own informed decisions....OSU makes me sick!!!

thank you Urban Meyer (Univ. of Cincinnati '84) for demolishing OSU, and finally allowing the OSU fans to shut the heck up!

?

I was under the impression this thread was about deciding whether dotting the "i" or winning a World Championship was better.

Wow....this is a tough question......both are complete honors either way you look at it

I don't think it's the same at all, but then I'm no Ohio fan. I simply don't see doing any college pre-game as comparable to winning DCI.

Ohio - You are the coolest sousa in the land, and maybe a tenth of the drunken crowd even cares. You only share a connection with Ohio alums and Ohio fans.

DCI - You are bad ### under any definition if you even make finals. Sure, you are exposed to less people, but the one's that see you are there for YOU, and really understand and appreciate what it is you're doing. Also, a DCI show is forever, not just one afternoon that everyone but you will forget about. Further more, by being in a corps you have become a part of something that you are a member of for life.

Yes...but ask any one in that drunked crowd what "dotting the I" is and I bet you all 100,000 of them will know....ask them what DCI is maybe 100 would know.

By the way....it takes an Ohioan to beat an Ohioan!

Do drum corps have 10,000 people show up to watch them rehearse every Sunday two hours before gametime??

Look, I'm not gonna say the OSUMB is better than any DCI champion, but in the realm of what they are, they're one of the most respected, honored, and famous performing groups in the world. Much respect to what they've been, and the pride they show in what they are.

Actually, umm....yeah. How many rehearsals did you guys have with corps that didn't have people in the stands??? Not running OSU down, even though I'm a die-hard Canes fan, so cut me some slack.

And as fun as the whole college marching band scene is, others are right...100,000 people don't show up to watch the band. 30,000 do show up to watch finals. And something like 40,000 (is my number anywhere near correct??) pay to watch it until 11pm or later in the movie theatres.

Now, most Bucks (your term) fans wouldn't give a hoot about the Cavaliers. But if I had the chance to march Phantom Regiment one year and finally win the championship that had eluded so many others, would I want that and to share that with 127 (in my day) others over some 'dot?' That makes a really great salute for some old geezer who gave a million dollars to name the OSU football locker urinals after him, or some 20-year old great-grandkid of the old geezer who was too decrepid to go out on the field himself--college football has that stuff all over the place. Ever seen the Taco Bell, Texas Tech "Ring the hell out of that bell" thing?? Hilarious.

A dot? Don't worry, even we Texans have stupid stuff like that that only we get and everybody else gigs us for. Like bells, and standing in perfectly good stadiums, etc. I should only wish that North Texas had an 'i' in it. We just have a stupid cannon that they fire off (right in my ear once--yikes!) when the team scores.

So enjoy your 'i's, Ohio, cause it may be a while before you get a ring for your state! Ow, that kind of has double meaning now, doesn't it?? (Hee-hee, that must be the Cane coming out!)

BTW, pretty sloppy marching from a number of fat boys in TBDBITL. I have a hard time seeing some of those guys hanging with some of the drill I've seen in DCI the last couple years. But a very good band, and a very good tradition from a tradition-laden program and school. Would I take the opportunity to dot the 'i?' Sure, cuz I never got that ring! Aged out in '95, too--how's that for timing!?

Then explain to me why all the trees in Michigan lean south?

I'll take this one, fellas. It's called the sunshine.

And not to change the subject, but it's Oklahoma that sucks. And Mexico blows. Keeps our tootsies dry here in Texas.

Hey, and if you Dot the I, that plaster your name, picture and a quick bio on the huge scoreboard.

So does the quick bio for the 20-year old read: "Joe Blow's great-grandkid, Joseph IV, proud member of the 2006-2007 Bluecoats?"

I was gonna post a sarcastic comment about that long history spiel about the dotting of the i, but i decided that would be rude and uncalled for. I applaud you for knowing so much about those traditions. I am assuming you attend Ohio State, and that shows a lot of dedication to their traditions. I personally just dont understand the fascination with a college marching band's drill move. On the other hand, I could spout information off about my Fraternity all day long and many of you would think the same about me. yep...

OK, but really--how many of you would honestly have trouble marching that move?? I mean, any spot on the field, right now with no rehearsal?? It's just a great big (everybody together now) Follow The Leader! Even the 20-year old tuba guy gets led directly to his spot.

Sorry to post like 4 times in a row--I'll go away now. No Canes comments, OK?