What would be bigger....

And Ohio sucks.

Here, here.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. Most wouldn't care. But the original question was what WE would prefer if we had a choice.

I understand that. But in order to properly frame this discussion, one has to weigh which of these two options is a bigger deal, which is what I was trying to do. The question is, do you want to be a big deal for one moment to a really large group of people, or do you want to be a big deal for a large (but surely MUCH smaller) group of people? To OSU fans I guarantee you it is a more god-like thing to be the dot on the I than to be a Blue Devil, Cavalier, or what have you. It's a matter of perspective. The reason I brought it up at all is that the general opinion here is that to be the dot is no big deal, which just isn't true. For example:

If you're a tuba player in the Ohio State Band, you already know if you're going to be dotting the "I," and once it's dotted, it's done with. As much an honor as it might be, it's over as soon as you do it. You don't get a ring for it, you don't have alumni get-togethers to talk about dotting the "I," you probably don't have "dot the 'I' groupies."

Winning the DCI World Championship is forever in your consciousness and memory.

"See that guy dotting the 'I?' That used to be ME!!!"

My argument is that, actually, dotting the I is the same thing as winning DCI if you are an OSU band kid. If you're in PR or BD or SCV the biggest deal in the world would be to win DCI. If you grow up in Ohio rooting for OSU, make the marching band, play sousaphone, march four years and get to dot that I, to you it's the biggest deal in the world. It may be (dare I say it on this board?) a BIGGER deal to you than winnning DCI is for some that do. In many households, you may have eaten, slept, and breathed OSU football from the time you could crawl. So I would imagine that that moment, however fleeting, would be "forever in your consciousness and memory".

And as for the limited reach of drum corps to the mass public...We do what we do for those that DO care. And for those who do care, there is nothing better in the world.

Yes, we do, and I am proud to have been a part of it. You can probably guess my answer to the original question--of course, if that was my goal of marching DCI, I probably would have done what many in my corps did at the time, which was to march for experience and then dash to the "ring corps" while I had a couple years left!

P.S.: Not to single you out, Mike, but you're the only one that bit on my post!

Thought about this question while watching TBDBITL and Script Ohio today....

What would be a bigger milestone for you, dotting the "i" in Script Ohio, or winning a DCI Championship?

Tough call, but I would have to go with dotting the "i".

Go Bucks

dude, if dotting the i for some frickin marching band would be bigger for you than winning DCI finals then maybe you should consider posting in a different forum. im sorry, but your response just blew me away and i cant believe you would even pose that question in a drum corps forum. <**>

oh i just watched the video of it. thanks for the link whoever that was who posted it, im still laughing.

Edited by BoxVSoprano

dude, if dotting the i for some frickin marching band would be bigger for you than winning DCI finals then maybe you should consider posting in a different forum. im sorry, but your response just blew me away and i cant believe you would even pose that question in a drum corps forum. <**>

oh i just watched the video of it. thanks for the link whoever that was who posted it, im still laughing.

LOL B)

P.S.: Not to single you out, Mike, but you're the only one that bit on my post!

You'd better frame that moment in your consciousness. :)

I understand that. But in order to properly frame this discussion, one has to weigh which of these two options is a bigger deal, which is what I was trying to do. The question is, do you want to be a big deal for one moment to a really large group of people, or do you want to be a big deal for a large (but surely MUCH smaller) group of people? To OSU fans I guarantee you it is a more god-like thing to be the dot on the I than to be a Blue Devil, Cavalier, or what have you. It's a matter of perspective.

Thank you.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the OSUMB is greater than any DCI corps, or that marching in drum corps is not a worthwhile experience in comparison to doing a pregame show at a college football game. But we're talking about different worlds here, with different purposes. It is what it is. Not directly comparable, but different enough to pose a simple question. I wouldn't expect many people on a drum corps message board to even remotely consider dotting the I to be worth their time. Then again, if you're open enough to look at that experience and respect it for what it is and what it means in its context of 70 years of tradition, I wouldn't expect many people here to understand to begin with. At the end of the day, I'd rather watch a drum corps over a college band any day of the week. As for marching in a corps versus a college band?? No question, corps every time. But I respect the tradition of what they do for what it is. Not better. Not worse. Just different. And hooray for that! We jump down the throats of every band in the world for ripping off drum corps, stealing drill moves, uniforms, whole shows, etc. You gotta admit one thing: there is only one Ohio State Marching Band. Nobody looks like em. Nobody sounds like em. Nobody does what they do the way they do it. In their world, they are one of a kind. Not better. Not worse. Just different. I respect that.

You gotta admit one thing: there is only one Ohio State Marching Band. Nobody looks like em. Nobody sounds like em. Nobody does what they do the way they do it. In their world, they are one of a kind. Not better. Not worse. Just different. I respect that.

Knew a computer consultant, an OSU MB vet...had a car in OSU colors...and had a bunch of OSU MB cd's in his car...listened to them all the time.

I'm still trying to figure out what TBDBITLMNOP (or whatever it is) stands for. :doh:

It stands for "the best #### band in the land," a title of (at best) dubious veracity.

Oh thank god. now I can sleep again.