Kiwanis Kavaliers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the decision not to compete at all is not a DCI call, it's an individual corps' call, but I hear what you're saying and yes that is a good idea.

Right.

That is why I thought it would be up to the group that is having a problem to Request to DCI for the "One Season" drop by, some reasonable date. I meant it as an Option that might at least let a group still get out and show that they want to improve.

I understand that some might not want to take that route.

Just one more alternative maybe.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Just to clarify, Dutch Boy was the Div. I corps the Cadets of Dutch Boy were the Div. III corps, in 1993 after tour Dutch Boy went inactive, the cadets of Dutch Boy remained a Division III corps. In 1997, the corps went through a major rebuild with John Robins at the helm, the decision was made to adopt the Dutch Boy name for the corps that was still active and the winterguard used the name Cadets of Dutch Boy, not sure why all this happened this way, but I would bet it had a lot to do with the Bingo licences and the names they were in, as they can not be transferred and trying to get one was at that time very difficult. Anyways the first summer of the rebuilt corps they were Div. 4, same rules as Div. II/III only with an 8 minute (I believe) time limit.

Edited by CanadianDirector

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe this is an area that DCI should look at.

Perhaps DCI could come up with some sort of Adminstrative thing like the following.

If a group does not believe they will not be able to compete in Div I ( in say Dec or first week in Jan). They could apply for a One year drop back to Div II. Then in Dec or first week in Jan of the following year. A decision for return to Div I. Or, then become a regular Div II group. Maybe a meeting of the group and a DCI Exective Committee would have to make such a decision.

Would that not be better than sitting out of EVERYTHING for a year or so. Keep the groups operation going and in a more public way. Possibly attracting more members and sponsors.

But the messy way things are done now is horrible to ALL.

Sounds nice, but that's a lot of money a corps would give up. Because of that, I don't think the suggestion would work.

Maybe this is an area that DCI should look at.

Perhaps DCI could come up with some sort of Adminstrative thing like the following.

If a group does not believe they will not be able to compete in Div I ( in say Dec or first week in Jan). They could apply for a One year drop back to Div II. Then in Dec or first week in Jan of the following year. A decision for return to Div I. Or, then become a regular Div II group. Maybe a meeting of the group and a DCI Exective Committee would have to make such a decision.

Would that not be better than sitting out of EVERYTHING for a year or so. Keep the groups operation going and in a more public way. Possibly attracting more members and sponsors.

But the messy way things are done now is horrible to ALL.

There's no incentive for any corps to want to drop to Division II. The lost money would be a serious blow to any Division I corps trying to grow or recover, depending on the circumstances. Better for them to tough it out as a low Div. I corps making the bigger open class paychecks per show than to drop to Div. II (if that's even allowed under current DCI rules, which I'm not convinced it is) and lose all that money and exposure.

There's no incentive for any corps to want to drop to Division II. The lost money would be a serious blow to any Division I corps trying to grow or recover, depending on the circumstances. Better for them to tough it out as a low Div. I corps making the bigger open class paychecks per show than to drop to Div. II (if that's even allowed under current DCI rules, which I'm not convinced it is) and lose all that money and exposure.

Sometimes it's the not going to Division II and having a less stressful tour the first year back that will kill a corps.

I think this is a moot point since now that they are sitting out their second year won't they have to come back in Div II next year if they return?

I think this is a moot point since now that they are sitting out their second year won't they have to come back in Div II next year if they return?

They're hurting the corps reputation by not coming back and going to Division II.

Kids may be less eager to join a corps that hasn't been around for two years !