Kiwanis Kavaliers

Low Hundreds......

$75000.00 per summer tour vs $2500.00 per summer tour. Plus pay for housing. For a corps to come out of Florida, let alone South Florida for that kind of money, means they better have one heck-uv-a bank account.

In Florida, you don't get paid to do parades. So you have to go up North to get paid for parades.Also, there is no Bingo to speak of. If you had it, you can only run 2 nights, with a relatively small pot compared to other bingos in the country.

For a Corps to operate in Div 2 or 1 with 3 busses, 2 semis, staff, food, fuel, etc., count on a 300-500 thousand dollar budget per year. THATS why KK wants to be out as a Div 1 corps!

Any Corps out of Florida has to be Div. 1 to survive financially. Especially since there are no shows within 8 hrs at least. Once you go out on the road, you have to stay there.

That was one of the good things about DCM. Lots of shows within a couple hours, and the 2/3 and Sr. corps were paid better per show for the most part.

Written from experience, eh? It ain't rocket surgery. Not to mention the fact that other corps object to coming to Florida to compete or perform...cost, weather and whatnot...so, it's difficult to host shows....another big budget line item on the income side for many corps.

Nice to know you are still out there!

:blink: <-- in honor of the KK 2002 Show

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.kiwaniskavaliers.org/News/Kaval...PR01252007.html

Edit: Nevermind, I post too slow. lol

Edited by SoonerFan04

And they will be forced to re-enter as D2/3... very interesting points, all.

They won't be forced. If they can show that they have the financial stability to participate in a full summer tour, keep the members experience positive and healthy, and stay within the boundaries of their mission statement with productive and realistic goals, then they can be approved for division I status without having to compete in either division II or III.

I would suggest that if a corps' budget and their ability to tour hinges on contest fees they are not adequately prepared to return to competition.

Have you seen how tight a corps' budget can be, especially during the summer? There aren't many corps that don't depend on contest fees, especially while traveling. You guys are really jumping to conclusions to condemn them for not "using" Division II when it's not their decision what division they go to anyway.

They won't be forced. If they can show that they have the financial stability to participate in a full summer tour, keep the members experience positive and healthy, and stay within the boundaries of their mission statement with productive and realistic goals, then they can be approved for division I status without having to compete in either division II or III.

I am pretty sure that if a corps is inactive for more than one year, they HAVE to return to competition through Division II/III, Dutch Boy had to when they took three years to get their house together back in the mid 90's !! :blink:

But I could be wrong !! :blink::blink::blink:

Again, that rule is now null and void because the process for entering Div. I has changed. When that rule was enforced with Magic, it was when corps from II/III could move to compete in Div. I quarterfinals; that's no longer the case, and now corps must be approved by a committee in order to compete in Div. I.

that's no longer the case, and now corps must be approved by a committed in order to compete in Div. I.

So does that mean a crazy person has to approve someone going into Div I?? :P

Sorry couldn't resist.