Kiwanis Kavaliers

In the D1 thread, we've discussed that with all the trials and tribulations Kiwanis Kavaliers are having, they're still clawing and scraping and fumbling their way back this year to stay Division 1. In what they've posted, it almost seems irrational that they're still trying to be a touring drum corps this year, but if they aren't, they're required to come back Division 2 next year.

So to all the 2/3 experts here, what makes Division 2 soooooo bad that KK doesn't want to reorg in Division 2 for a season or two? The thoughts I've come up with are:

*Perceived recruiting differences

*Less pay per show to the corps

*Difficulty re-achieving D1 status

But if it really is so difficult - whether it should be or not - does it not defeat the purpose of incubating corps? The way that KK is acting, you'd think that no corps dare be D2, yet we know that D2 has been successful in promoting some corps. Thoughts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to all the 2/3 experts here, what makes Division 2 soooooo bad that KK doesn't want to reorg in Division 2 for a season or two? The thoughts I've come up with are:

Looks like you answered your own question. Also, division II units often have less access to shows.

But if it really is so difficult - whether it should be or not - does it not defeat the purpose of incubating corps?

Yes.

The way that KK is acting, you'd think that no corps dare be D2, yet we know that D2 has been successful in promoting some corps. Thoughts?

Yes - I'd rephrase that to "we know that some D2 corps have succeeded".

I personally believe that ANY corps that goes inactive for one season or more should be required to re-enter competition in Division II. They can still have 135 members and can do a full tour if they so choose, but I think it's more conducive to the rebuilding process than jumping in head to head with The Cavaliers, The Cadets, Blue Devils, etc. If the corps is really Division I quality, they can declare their intentions to go Division I along the way (ala The Magic in 2002).

In the D1 thread, we've discussed that with all the trials and tribulations Kiwanis Kavaliers are having, they're still clawing and scraping and fumbling their way back this year to stay Division 1. In what they've posted, it almost seems irrational that they're still trying to be a touring drum corps this year, but if they aren't, they're required to come back Division 2 next year.

But if it really is so difficult - whether it should be or not - does it not defeat the purpose of incubating corps? The way that KK is acting, you'd think that no corps dare be D2, yet we know that D2 has been successful in promoting some corps. Thoughts?

The diference in pay per show is staggering from D1 down to DII/III, plus I believe that Div II/III have to pay for their own housing while DCI pays for Div I housing (I am not 100% sure of that, so dont quote me, but there is a pretty drastic difference).

Just a side note, I wonder why KK is having so much trouble regaining their D1 status and Troopers did not, is the precidence not set that troopers should have to be DII this year? Anyone know how this went down?

I personally believe that ANY corps that goes inactive for one season or more should be required to re-enter competition in Division II. They can still have 135 members and can do a full tour if they so choose, but I think it's more conducive to the rebuilding process than jumping in head to head with The Cavaliers, The Cadets, Blue Devils, etc. If the corps is really Division I quality, they can declare their intentions to go Division I along the way (ala The Magic in 2002).

I don't think KK is pining to stay D1 so they can continue to take on The Cavaliers, Blue Devils and Cadets. Obviously, that is silly in their current form. Unfortunately, I feel there is a stigma attached to corps who must or are forced to move "down" a class. As much as we all wish it wouldn't, it does affect recruiting, fund raising, staff retention and such, and makes it more difficult to regain D1 status. But it is clear that the course of action that KK has followed in recent history has not worked for the organization (their current situation is evidence enough, don't you think?).

Only the corps itself and the DCI oversight board really have the knowledge to determine what is the most appropriate course of action for a corps who is reorganizing. Not everycorps will be able or should come back to D1 right away, some can and will be successful back in D1.

Best of luck to the KK organization and their staff, volunters and members as they figure out what the best course of action is for them.

M

Edited by OMello1

I believe that Div II/III have to pay for their own housing while DCI pays for Div I housing (I am not 100% sure of that, so dont quote me, but there is a pretty drastic difference).

You are correct.

It's because of what drives many of the issues in DCI today: money. As mentioned, the pay differences between Div. I and II/III are not insignificant by any means; simply "dropping down" would do serious damage to a corps budget.

If the corps is really Division I quality, they can declare their intentions to go Division I along the way (ala The Magic in 2002).

what you are speaking of is a rule that is no longer in effect. It used to be that the top 3 div II corps could move up into div I quarterfinals and go back to div II for the next season...it was changed at some point to say that if a div II corps wanted to compete in the div I quarterfinals (or semi's or finals if they placed high enough as in Magic '02), they had to declare themselves a full fledged div I corps for the next season. Between 2002 and 2003, the rule was completely abolished and the competitive review committee was set up so now any corps that wants to compete in div I has to submit applications and be reviewed by the committee before being granted div I status. Academy filed the application each year to see what areas of their organization could be improved upon and they were finally granted div I status for this season.

As far as the rule that a corps has to return to div II after taking a year off, I don't know that there is such a rule, plus when the review committee was set up, the rule might have been changed. (strictly speculation, i have no knowledge on this part, the above i know is true)

It's because of what drives many of the issues in DCI today: money. As mentioned, the pay differences between Div. I and II/III are not insignificant by any means; simply "dropping down" would do serious damage to a corps budget.

I would suggest that if a corps' budget and their ability to tour hinges on contest fees they are not adequately prepared to return to competition.

I would suggest that if a corps' budget and their ability to tour hinges on contest fees they are not adequately prepared to return to competition.

Now THAT'S something that we BOTH agree on Adam !!! :worthy:

I wish the KK well in the coming season but if they are not stable financially and I'm not saying they're not, they should drop down to Division II and rebuild like everyone else.

Edited by ODBC