Now THAT'S something that we BOTH agree on Adam !!! :ph34r:

:worthy:

See, it happens from time to time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and I'm not saying they're not...

Well, since the administration there has allowed a member posting about "there are rumors that we're folding" sit UNANSWERED on their own message board for almost a month, I'm willing to put myself out on a limb and say it. They're not. They may not owe a thing to DCP about internal workings, but if they won't even answer a member...

I would suggest that if a corps' budget and their ability to tour hinges on contest fees they are not adequately prepared to return to competition.

For a division I corps doing the prototype DCI tour of 30 shows, those fees add up to $75,000 for one season. I wish corps were so well off that they could neglect that line item....

For a division I corps doing the prototype DCI tour of 30 shows, those fees add up to $75,000 for one season. I wish corps were so well off that they could neglect that line item....

Very interesting.

So while I do the math to figure out what that is per show - uh - $2,500 - what are the appearence fees for Divs 2 and 3?

Very interesting.

So while I do the math to figure out what that is per show - uh - $2,500 - what are the appearence fees for Divs 2 and 3?

Low Hundreds......

$75000.00 per summer tour vs $2500.00 per summer tour. Plus pay for housing. For a corps to come out of Florida, let alone South Florida for that kind of money, means they better have one heck-uv-a bank account.

In Florida, you don't get paid to do parades. So you have to go up North to get paid for parades.Also, there is no Bingo to speak of. If you had it, you can only run 2 nights, with a relatively small pot compared to other bingos in the country.

For a Corps to operate in Div 2 or 1 with 3 busses, 2 semis, staff, food, fuel, etc., count on a 300-500 thousand dollar budget per year. THATS why KK wants to be out as a Div 1 corps!

Any Corps out of Florida has to be Div. 1 to survive financially. Especially since there are no shows within 8 hrs at least. Once you go out on the road, you have to stay there.

That was one of the good things about DCM. Lots of shows within a couple hours, and the 2/3 and Sr. corps were paid better per show for the most part.

All of which is why I would like to see some changes in the structuring of the current division set-up to include a better distribution of proceeds ... among other things. I am not going to climb on the soap box again today, though.

What I really want to say is this is, also, one of the things which leads me to so admire those people who direct, support, teach and march in Division II and III and bring those great shows to the field every summer. Thank You.

I would suggest that if a corps' budget and their ability to tour hinges on contest fees they are not adequately prepared to return to competition.

One point for Adam. ^OO^

I would go farther though and say that a corps' budget that hinges on anything other than money either donated to or raised by their sponsoring non-profit group are not adequately prepared... but that's just me.

Edited by bari_benzo

Low Hundreds......

$75000.00 per summer tour vs $2500.00 per summer tour. Plus pay for housing. For a corps to come out of Florida, let alone South Florida for that kind of money, means they better have one heck-uv-a bank account.

In Florida, you don't get paid to do parades. So you have to go up North to get paid for parades.Also, there is no Bingo to speak of. If you had it, you can only run 2 nights, with a relatively small pot compared to other bingos in the country.

For a Corps to operate in Div 2 or 1 with 3 busses, 2 semis, staff, food, fuel, etc., count on a 300-500 thousand dollar budget per year. THATS why KK wants to be out as a Div 1 corps!

Any Corps out of Florida has to be Div. 1 to survive financially. Especially since there are no shows within 8 hrs at least. Once you go out on the road, you have to stay there.

That was one of the good things about DCM. Lots of shows within a couple hours, and the 2/3 and Sr. corps were paid better per show for the most part.

If this is the case, it makes one wonder what it was about South Florida that was so attractive as to move the corps operations to an area where fund raising would be seemingly impossible. The talent? Sure, there is loads of it in Florida...but there are other ways to mine talent from different parts of the country without having to move the entire corps to that area. Ask...um...well just about everybody now...everyone is holding remote camps in talent-rich areas.

M

I think you'd be suprised how many that includes.