Update from DCI Meetings

The meetings were a very positive and educational experience, from our chair at least. B) We are way excited about some of the marketing efforts DCI's going for!

There were two bands participating in the Honda Battle of the Bands sharing the hotel with the DCI conference, so the lobbies and hallways were a constant mix of people from both branches of the activity.

One of the DCI guys we've worked with on our shows was saying he had a fun conversation with several guys from one of the bands-- they definitely get that even though the styling is vastly different, we all dig "the business".

The Battle of the Bands sells out the Georgia Dome. Wish we did.

As I understand it, there was supposed to be some research (at least to listen to the Field Pass stuff) into how to tap into the Honda Bowl "mystique"...versus as it was termed, "sterility" of some corps productions.

That's not to say that we're should pine to see "DCI: Drumline Edition", but given how much those historically black university bands play for the crowds and make them a "member" of the band...it might be a lesson that could be benefited from in the marketing and mission plan for DCI.

Like it was said during the broadcast...we sell 16,000 seats...they sell 60,000.

...and, they also get their DVD in HD! http://www.hondabattleofthebands.com/

http://www.hbobmerch.com/

Maybe Honda should look into sponsoring DCI. :blink:

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If small corps are fine with being small...fine. If they cut kids without giving that kid an opportunity to march a horn, drum of flag spot, then in my estimation, they are doing the activity a disservice. It's a youth activity. If you have an open spot and you have a kid who wants it bad enough, he/she will earn the spot or cut themselves. I know...I've seen both sides of this.

This is what I don't buy. Small corps cut kids from their line so they can stay small? Has this ever happened? :grouphug: Small corps are small because they don't have the resources to attract kids (from the local community at least initially) to march in their corps not because they are turning kids away.

If you could perform with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, why would you choose to spend thousands of dollars to perform with a high school orchestra? It doesn't make sense, especially when you consider the cost of drum corps today.

And I HAVE heard of people not doing even the best drum corps because they were too good for it. There's nothing wrong with that. But usually the top drum corps offer something challenging to even the best.

But using your example, she COULDN'T perform with the CSO. But there are lots of opportunities between the CSO and a high school orchestra. Surely you see that. Are you telling me that if you couldn't get into CSO for whatever reason, you wouldn't even CONSIDER Boston Pops or London Symphony Orchestra or a hundred others out there?

Again, I'm not saying that just because you don't make Cadets, for example, that you MUST go somewhere else. What I'm saying is that, in my opinion, that's not enough reason for the rules of the game to be changed simply because you were the last one cut (for example). What about the 151st guy now? Do we raise it 175? Then what about the 176th? Everyone who wants to march Cadets should get to? No, I think that there are plenty of other opportunites under the previous member limits to accommodate you in DCI. IF YOU SO CHOOSE. If you don't, fine. That's your choice. I'm not saying you have to. All I was saying in all of my posts here what that to say there are no challenges in other corps because you're good enouogh to be in a top corps is a fallacy. They may not be challenges that you CHOOSE to undertake, granted. But it's not enough of a reason, in my opinion, to have changed the rule -- which was your original point.

(Used "you" here, of course, to mean the universal "you", not necessarily you specifically :) )

I agree. It might be a different tier (however you choose to define that). I understand it may be a disappointment. I understand that someone may not want to switch from being taught/pushed by what they consider to be the top staff out there. But there is a thread right now on Page 1 about holes in corps. I guarantee you corps will be filling holes for months. All I'm saying is that not everyone can be Top 6. No matter where you set the limit, someone is going to be the last one cut. If the rationale for increasing member limit is that it's not fair or unduly unfortunate for that last guy, then you can never have a limit. Then basically you would only have Top 6 corps and there would be no lower tier. Because you could never cut that last kid. Or the next to last. Etc, etc, etc. But then corps 4-6 would be the "lower tier". See what I'm getting at (hyperbole aside)? I feel for those kids that don't get to march with their favorite corps, but it's just not a reason to increase member size or the activity as a whole suffers over time.

As I understand it, there was supposed to be some research (at least to listen to the Field Pass stuff) into how to tap into the Honda Bowl "mystique"...versus as it was termed, "sterility" of some corps productions.

That's not to say that we're should pine to see "DCI: Drumline Edition", but given how much those historically black university bands play for the crowds and make them a "member" of the band...it might be a lesson that could be benefited from in the marketing and mission plan for DCI.

Like it was said during the broadcast...we sell 16,000 seats...they sell 60,000.

...and, they also get their DVD in HD! http://www.hondabattleofthebands.com/

http://www.hbobmerch.com/

Maybe Honda should look into sponsoring DCI. :grouphug:

I'm content with the numbers we have now. Jessica Simpson sells a lot more tickets that the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Does that mean that Jessica Simpson is better? No. It means there are more people in this country with bad taste than good taste. Same with the attendance discrepancy between the Honda Battle of the Bands and a DCI show. The fact that Drum Corps is a niche activity with a high degree of intelligence and sophistication is a good thing to me. I don't want to sell out the Georgia Dome, because the kinds of changes that Drum Corps would have to undergo to attract that many people would make it terrible.

I'm content with the numbers we have now. Jessica Simpson sells a lot more tickets that the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Does that mean that Jessica Simpson is better? No. It means there are more people in this country with bad taste than good taste. Same with the attendance discrepancy between the Honda Battle of the Bands and a DCI show. The fact that Drum Corps is a niche activity with a high degree of intelligence and sophistication is a good thing to me. I don't want to sell out the Georgia Dome, because the kinds of changes that Drum Corps would have to undergo to attract that many people would make it terrible.

Or MAYBE we all have different opinions of what good and bad are, and they are neither right or wrong....... :grouphug:

Well the cool thing is, we already have a DCI, a BOA, a WGI, AAAANNNDDDD even a Honda Battle of the Bands. So which ever one you dig, go for it. We don't need 4 of the same thing.

I have been itching for an opportunity to post this.

This is a quote from a good friend of mine (and yours, too, if memory serves).. his name is David Nichols and he aged out of Spirit a few years back. Here's what he had to say about this question a while back:

"If DCI is radically different (from a performance standpoint) in a few years, i'll be sad... but as long as people are getting what I got out of it, i'll still support the activity."

This is why the activity WE know and love WILL SURVIVE.

He's not alone, I assure you (general you, not specific you).

Stef

for the record, I don't think it won't survive.

I'm just saying that we shouldn't slam one another b/c of our respective opinions b/c we're "old" or "new" etc.

And I agree w/David completely. I was just trying to point out that the "oldies" who voice their opinions have valid points too b/c many people just give them the "you're old and resistant to change" junk all the time.

that's all.

This is what I don't buy. Small corps cut kids from their line so they can stay small? Has this ever happened? :grouphug: Small corps are small because they don't have the resources to attract kids (from the local community at least initially) to march in their corps not because they are turning kids away.

they don't just cut any kid to stay small. they cut kids who don't fit the classifications they want. what's the point in having 3 kids out there fumbling around having no clue what they're doing? those three kids won't boost GE, so cut em.

and yeah, correct me if i'm wrong but didn't blue stars intentionally stay below 60 a couple years back to stay div 3?

-christopher

Edited by L1STEN2311