Update from DCI Meetings

Adding saxophones to a barbershop quartet, for example, would completely change the GENRE, as it would to drum corps. The problem is marching band and drum corps are like first cousins, and we all know first cousins shouldn't marry. :D

I dunno, DCI does hold at least one show in Kentucky... :lol:

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, DCI does hold at least one show in Kentucky... :lol:

And it's about 10 minutes to Kentucky from the Huntington, WV show. :lol:

I still agree with the post over in the D II/III forum a while back. Do away with divisions. Everyone for himself. Payout is based on the headcount based on your declared size give or take +/- a few you might fluctuate. Then just give awards during prelims, quarters, semis, finals for size ranges. 30-60, 60-90, 90-max, etc.

But that might level the field.... if you are on the mountain you sure as hell don't want someone coming up to knock you off.

I still agree with the post over in the D II/III forum a while back. Do away with divisions. Everyone for himself. Payout is based on the headcount based on your declared size give or take +/- a few you might fluctuate. Then just give awards during prelims, quarters, semis, finals for size ranges. 30-60, 60-90, 90-max, etc.

But that might level the field.... if you are on the mountain you sure as hell don't want someone coming up to knock you off.

Would you then come out to see who comes in 53rd place? No?

Well, no one comes to 2/3 shows anyhow...

Would you then come out to see who comes in 53rd place? No?

Well, no one comes to 2/3 shows anyhow...

Well yeah actually I would. But I'm also hit every D II/III show withing driving distance. Ft. Smith, Frisco, etc. And went to II/III prelims this year. If nothing else to see the Southpark show. :P

But there is no one there now. Is it more impressive to be champ of a circuit no one sees or really cares about or be lumped together even if your 53rd and get paid the same?

Well yeah actually I would. But I'm also hit every D II/III show withing driving distance. Ft. Smith, Frisco, etc. And went to II/III prelims this year. If nothing else to see the Southpark show. :P

But there is no one there now. Is it more impressive to be champ of a circuit no one sees or really cares about or be lumped together even if your 53rd and get paid the same?

South Park was funny -- I would sing "What would Bryan Boitano do?" to my neighbors. We got a good laugh.

But I think you'd see the same problem. You'd be there, I'd be there, and 42 of our close friends would be... whether they're King of the Nobodies or Fiftiumpteenth place. The only thing that would happen is you'd DQ them out of quarters on Tuesday, and they'd be done. If for nothing else, Finals week would again suck for 2/3.

South Park was funny -- I would sing "What would Bryan Boitano do?" to my neighbors. We got a good laugh.

But I think you'd see the same problem. You'd be there, I'd be there, and 42 of our close friends would be... whether they're King of the Nobodies or Fiftiumpteenth place. The only thing that would happen is you'd DQ them out of quarters on Tuesday, and they'd be done. If for nothing else, Finals week would again suck for 2/3.

True. But the exposure issue/crowd size will probably always be there. So wouldn't change much. The main thing I was talking about was pay scale. People would ##### "well they don't tour as much why should they get paid as much". Well they would only get paid for the shows they preformed in. And hopefully they could stop eating PBJ's off a tailgate.

The real question on one is addressing, is how the hell are we going to fit 150 people on the jolesch bleachers?!?! for the love of god we can't even fit 135.

jebus, did anyone take time to consider the people at jolesch?!?

ok sorry, i guess i should've added some kind of stuipid face to show i was messing around... my b.

-christopher

Edited by L1STEN2311

The member corps would benefit greatly from a solid D2/3 system. Then they wouldn't have to feel so dependant on the mb world.

Now this, Dave, I will agree with you on.. but I think the only way for D2/3 to be able to fill that void would be to become even MORE localized and NOT TOUR (or be saddled with the burdens, thereof).. unfortunately (from personal experience), that's not the attitude you get when you get into the pool of DII/III.. the startups see it as a path to DI themselves with dreams of faroff championships in their heads and and they want to encourage kids to stay with an up and comer.. they don't see themselves as a valued asset in and of itself as a local group with local kids and local support.. They've got bigger fish to fry!!

That's where the dependance switched from our own DII/III (or A/AA/AAA or A/B/C) to the mb world... and likely why the two activities are becoming more homogenized. The "feeder corps" system died out a long time ago.. not because DI didn't want to utilize their feeders.. but because the feeders became competitive within their own ranks and it stopped being about one great organization with a whole program for the local kids. Was that what the DCI member corps intended? I doubt it.. but they probably saw the writing on the wall and the ORGANIZATION decided they needed to do what they needed to do to survive.. and thus the separation began.

I don't see the monster under the stairs (and I'm not saying you do, either).. but I do see your points.

Stef