Where would you add the 15 additional membrs?

24 Trumpets

16 mellos

24 baris/euphs

16 contras

10 snares

5 bass

5 tenors

35 guard

13 pit

2 dms

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that no one has considered the awesomeness of the 81 member brass line (9x9 block).

23 trumpets

16 mellos

18 baris

10 euphs

14 tubas

------------

81 brass

9 sn

5 quads

5 basses

10 pit

------------

29 percussion

36 guard

2 dm

2 dcp nerds to sit at home and flame the other corps :P

--------

150 members

-jonomaphone

I'm surprised that no one has considered the awesomeness of the 81 member brass line (9x9 block).

23 trumpets

16 mellos

18 baris

10 euphs

14 tubas

------------

81 brass

9 sn

5 quads

5 basses

10 pit

------------

29 percussion

36 guard

2 dm

2 dcp nerds to sit at home and flame the other corps :P

--------

150 members

-jonomaphone

I like the 81 man horn line idea, but then to get a good balance between brass and percussion, you need about 40 percussion. That does not leave much for guard.

I like the 81 man horn line idea, but then to get a good balance between brass and percussion, you need about 40 percussion. That does not leave much for guard.

I see where you're coming from, but I've got to point out that the pit balance won't be one bit of a problem, what with amps (for the pit instruments) and all. In fact, with proper part writing and good amping, the pit could probably be reduced by 2 people. Also, the drum line balance shouldn't be much of a problem, with relatively good staging and a will written part that corresponds to the horn book. I figure that if star 91 could win w/5 snares that could be heard 99% of the time while staying out of the horn line's way during hits, a 9 man line could do just fine with 81 horns.

If you really wanted to balance the line though, you could take the 2 dcp nerds and those 2 displaced pit folks and have an 11-6-6 line, or just add 4 cymbals, all while still preserving the 36 member guard (I think guard blocks are a terribly under-used idea).

-jonomaphone

I'm hoping we will see an emergance of cymbal lines again. They have almost gone extinct. I want to see cymbals back at Madison and Spirit, but also at a lot of other corps.

-jonomaphone

I guess most of are use to thinking in terms of even numbers for drill.

But yes squares work really well. I think that's why most horn lines have been at 64 for several years. So 81 is deffinately a good option.