Where would you add the 15 additional membrs?

I know this is just for fun, so sorry to be a party pooper, but consider this. Top 6 with 128 members: 768 members. Top 6 with 150: 900. Difference: 132--goodbye to one corps entirely!

Now I realize that there have been many corps go away since the 128 limit went bye-bye, and the biz side of me says that fewer groups with more members equals more efficient operations, but basically you are weeding out the activity. The 'BIG' corps will always attract enough to fill out 150 in any voicing. Does D2/3 grow any larger in this arrangement? How does a corps in Wyoming or Iowa in D1 compete with the top corps for, 1.) members, and 2.) placement?

The 'rich' get richer, so to speak. Instead of adding to the already amazing top corps, why not enact some program to assist struggling corps? Crossmen, for example, (and I think this is accurate) wouldn't exist if Cadets didn't step in some time ago. How about Coats take over Capital Regiment? Just a contemporary example, I know there are many considerations and CR is planning on fielding a corps in '08. But what about the others???

Have fun, but just wanted to put a bug in your brain... :lol:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yaaaay everyones excited over 80+ brass, extra pit, extra drummers, extra gaurd.... BUUUT where is all of this going to fit on the equipment trailor?? ive seen quite a few div 1 trucks and theyre pretty maxed out right now...stuff the extra stuff in the food trailor??

where are you going to shove the extra 5 peoples luggage under the buses? food staff has to cook more..soo more food staff??..more staff in general??

either way you look at it, it has its perks and down sides to it.

more brass=mmmmmmm ..but where do you put the horns?

more luggage under and on a buss ..atleast youll have more people to do bus loading ?!?

showertime with only 3 shower heads ..always a pain no matter what, can always tripple up hah.

more food needs to be cooked ..more food staff/ longer meal prep, longer lunch lines, maybe running out of food.

the only upside is the special staff juice on the staff buss.. hmm good times

Edited by erictuba16

I know this is just for fun, so sorry to be a party pooper, but consider this. Top 6 with 128 members: 768 members. Top 6 with 150: 900. Difference: 132--goodbye to one corps entirely!

Now I realize that there have been many corps go away since the 128 limit went bye-bye, and the biz side of me says that fewer groups with more members equals more efficient operations, but basically you are weeding out the activity. The 'BIG' corps will always attract enough to fill out 150 in any voicing. Does D2/3 grow any larger in this arrangement? How does a corps in Wyoming or Iowa in D1 compete with the top corps for, 1.) members, and 2.) placement?

The 'rich' get richer, so to speak. Instead of adding to the already amazing top corps, why not enact some program to assist struggling corps? Crossmen, for example, (and I think this is accurate) wouldn't exist if Cadets didn't step in some time ago. How about Coats take over Capital Regiment? Just a contemporary example, I know there are many considerations and CR is planning on fielding a corps in '08. But what about the others???

Have fun, but just wanted to put a bug in your brain... :lol:

This discussion doesn't really belong here considering it's been beaten to death in multiple other threads. But, a brief recap.

Most people that get cut from a top corps do not move on to a lower corps anyway. I would estimate that of the 15 in the difference between 135 and 150 maybe 1 or 2 actually go on to march somewhere else so you really aren't talking about 90 people missing from lower corps because the top 6 has 15 more. You're talking about closer to 6-12. Looking at all of division 1 and you're talking about 24-48 people. Spread out of the entirety of Div II/III. A difference of maybe 1 or 2 people, not an entire corps.

know this is just for fun, so sorry to be a party pooper, but consider this. Top 6 with 128 members: 768 members. Top 6 with 150: 900. Difference: 132--goodbye to one corps entirely!

Based on what others have said about this debate I actually am concerned about lower tier Div I corps more than Div II/III corps in this respect.

I hope Cap Reg, Magic, and KK make a return but feel at least one of them won't. (I'm not predicting which will and will not.)

yaaaay everyones excited over 80+ brass, extra pit, extra drummers, extra gaurd.... BUUUT where is all of this going to fit on the equipment trailor?? ive seen quite a few div 1 trucks and theyre pretty maxed out right now...stuff the extra stuff in the food trailor??

where are you going to shove the extra 5 peoples luggage under the buses? food staff has to cook more..soo more food staff??..more staff in general??

either way you look at it, it has its perks and down sides to it.

more brass=mmmmmmm ..but where do you put the horns?

more luggage under and on a buss ..atleast youll have more people to do bus loading ?!?

showertime with only 3 shower heads ..always a pain no matter what, can always tripple up hah.

more food needs to be cooked ..more food staff/ longer meal prep, longer lunch lines, maybe running out of food.

On my comments to DCI this was my main concern with this proposal. The added expenses of the extra equipment etc. Many will say that they don't need to do this and they shouldn't if they can't afford it or don't have the room/money. We all know how that will play out.

I expect only a few corps will have additional members in 08, but it won't take long for everyone to at least try and fill all the spots. If you don't you will get hurt competatively, especially in GE visual.

While I'd like to see them, I'm not expecting many to add back cymbal lines. I don't expect battery sections to increase much if any because of cleaning issues.

But for now we can have fun thinking about your dream corps. :)

Most people that get cut from a top corps do not move on to a lower corps anyway. I would estimate that of the 15 in the difference between 135 and 150 maybe 1 or 2 actually go on to march somewhere else so you really aren't talking about 90 people missing from lower corps because the top 6 has 15 more. You're talking about closer to 6-12. Looking at all of division 1 and you're talking about 24-48 people. Spread out of the entirety of Div II/III. A difference of maybe 1 or 2 people, not an entire corps.

But which people. These additional 15 for the top corps are not all going to come from the street. Some (many?) are going to be the better players at some of the lower corps that did, in fact, go to another corps after getting cut at a top corps. So I see this as creating a "filter up" of talent and the lower Div I corps end up with the same problem -- trying to get folks who tried out for the top corps and didn't make it to give them a try -- only now, there will be less of the most talented and most willing to go around. It's not all one or the other, but I fear that this will be a net-minus for the lower 12. I would have preferred to see an emphasis on filling up the ranks of all the corps before this rule was introduced.

I know, I know .... off topic ..... sorry :)

Mine:

24 Sops (Trumpets)

14 Mellos

14 Baris

12 Euphs

14 Contras (Tubas)

78 Brass

9 Snares

5 Tenors

5 Basses

5 Cymbals

12 Pit