What innovations are left?

For years, I've been saying that I want a full corps kazoo line. All pink kazoos, too.

didn't VK or Bridgemen do this in the early 80's for part of a song during a company front push?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I had seen nearly everything, and then I saw Westfield HS put a piano on the field:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OaFGnxB070

didn't VK or Bridgemen do this in the early 80's for part of a song during a company front push?

I know my memory isn't that great any more, but I sure don't remember that ever happening!

I know my memory isn't that great any more, but I sure don't remember that ever happening!

I don't think Bridgemen ever did - I have all their shows from the legacy series. During one year of Requiem (79 or 80, don't recall which) the horns were on their knees for the Battle Hymn company front, but no kazoos.

Can't speak as to VK, but I kind of doubt it, because back then the rules were much stricter on allowable equipment and instrumentation.

Well, there goes my ace-in-the-hole, but does everybody here realize the piano is techincally a percussion instrument? Wouldn't that make it legal?

We've actually debated that on here. (Shock, huh.) There are those of us who consider it a non-traditional percussive/sting instrument, and specifically I'm not in favor of it because it isn't played with sticks. Wipe the image of a marimbist smacking keys with a small mallet out of your mind now.

As for the Westfield show, it's a great MB show, obviously. It reminds me of Boston 2000, where there were soloists or singing, save 5 1/2 minutes. Same here; it's one kid getting highlighted. That's using what you have in high school. The big gliss at the end is cute, too.

Now when it comes to sampling, it would actually seem stupid to me to cart a piano around all summer. In the Westfield show, it's an obvious showpiece, but frankly, the biggest problem I had was that the pit orchestration was sparse. So, should it be included in a normal pit voicing? Should you have to play piano samples via a malletkat? A piano/keyboard you play with your fingers is actually a lot easier to play chords with, as you likely are aware... vibes don't just drop a CEGCEG.

So I don't think it's legal now, but if it is, it has to be a real piano. Imagine rolling that pig to rehearsal... :rock: