1988 .. an incredible year of change

I remember that bat being passed around. It definitely made it's way through the Sky Ryder contra section (EDIT: or was it SCV? Geeze I'm getting old...) during retreat once. Spaz was one of the most entertaining, funny people I ever met in drum corps.

Here's a few pics of Spaz on the 1988 Drum Corps Midwest All Star Drum and Bugle Corps trip to the Orange Bowl. (I still ... to this day... can't even look at a bottle of El Toro tequila. ampssuck

spaz6.jpg

el toro??? brad that was quality stuff.... :worthy:

We definitely did Montreal in 89. I still have a menu from the beergartens :) That mass concert with BAC and Scouts (I thought) was out East? I thought Spaz played Contra in 89 .. .and won the record for the most days without a bowel movement .. poor guy was at 16 days last I remember :sshh: Didn't our entire bass line have batman stickers on the heads?

Sorry OT .. and I started the darn thread :worthy:

Edited by supersop

el toro??? brad that was quality stuff.... :worthy:

Oh..... the memories... that I can't seem to recall...

:worthy:

And BTW that is Kevin Vukosovic over Spaz's right shoulder in the "Censored" pic.

I was gonna say you can't see ME in that pic because I'm on the floor already... But I think I actually took the picture.

We definitely did Montreal in 89. I still have a menu from the beergartens :) That mass concert with BAC and Scouts (I thought) was out East? I thought Spaz played Contra in 89 .. .and won the record for the most days without a bowel movement .. poor guy was at 16 days last I remember :sshh:

Sorry OT .. and I started the darn thread :worthy:

OK, I guess it was 1989. For some reason I was thinking we went to Old Munich in 1990 (50th anniv.). I remember the concert being in Yspilanti (sp?) MI. I remember Spaz being a contra player. As far the bowel movements... :sshh: I can't help ya.

I remember watching you guys do basics in what I would call circular geometry. I had never seen it done. It was like a block but you were all in a circle and instead of a front, the center of the circle was your base. If you did a slide it was around the circumference of the circle. Forward was in towards the center to the radius would shrink or the opposite and you would all move away from center.

In '89 we got flugels and I wanted us to have french horns. Some of the flugels got to play with your french horn section. I remember them letting us borrow their horns and we kept buggin' Gerry Noonan (our horn instructor) to get some.

Dave

BAC '89 - '90

OK, I guess it was 1989. For some reason I was thinking we went to Old Munich in 1990 (50th anniv.). I remember the concert being in Yspilanti (sp?) MI. I remember Spaz being a contra player. As far the bowel movements... :sshh: I can't help ya.

I remember watching you guys do basics in what I would call circular geometry. I had never seen it done. It was like a block but you were all in a circle and instead of a front, the center of the circle was your base. If you did a slide it was around the circumference of the circle. Forward was in towards the center to the radius would shrink or the opposite and you would all move away from center.

In '89 we got flugels and I wanted us to have french horns. Some of the flugels got to play with your french horn section. I remember them letting us borrow their horns and we kept buggin' Gerry Noonan (our horn instructor) to get some.

Dave

BAC '89 - '90

Weird because Ypsi is just down the road from where I live. For some reason, I remember a lot of BAC alumns in the stands for the mass playing of Conquest and YNWA.

Super Sop (Is this DH by chance?) - Thanks for bringing back memories of 89 and Spaz!

I was sad that he didn't join us for the Madison Alumni project this past summer.

I mean jeez, the guy only lives an hour from Madison. Anyway. I remember the 16 day movement

thing. He was actually on a $$$$ strike - as he called it. He wouldn't allow himself a movement until

our scores improved. His complexion started turning green after awhile...but that could have

also been from frequent hangovers. He was certainly entertaining and I think the most notorious thing

was in 1990. While coming back from our California tour, we had a practice day in Battle Mtn. Nevada.

At some point, Spaz found a flattened dead Toad in the parking lot and decided to carry it around

for the rest of tour in a ziplock bag...until finals night, when he ground it up and attempted to

smoke it before we took the field for retreat. Oh, and I almost forgot about the dead bat in the

ziplock the year before. These days, the PETA people would have a field day with him!

By the way, this past summer in the Alumni Corps, Tholo brought back his baseball bat

with the Batman sticker....for some reason, it just wasn't as intimidating as it was in 89.

Edited by madalumni

Sop. I don't know what you're talking about in '89. Tell us more. That sounds funny. Spaz was a Eupho. You guys were incredible in 1989 BTW. Watch that show a lot.

No Spaz was in the Contra line. I was a Eupho and there were 6 of us: Me, Dave Tobias, Paul Bailey, Dave Maxwell, James Bechtold and Chris Patton. It was always fun in retreat though because we were the 2nd row from the back

with the Contras behind us. One of the first nights on tour, Spaz randomly yells out "Hey bartender, Jobu needs a refill!" :worthy:

No Spaz was in the Contra line. I was a Eupho and there were 6 of us: Me, Dave Tobias, Paul Bailey, Dave Maxwell, James Bechtold and Chris Patton. It was always fun in retreat though because we were the 2nd row from the back

with the Contras behind us. One of the first nights on tour, Spaz randomly yells out "Hey bartender, Jobu needs a refill!" :ph34r:

Ahhh the memories LOL

Does no one else remember Dan-o getting thrown in jail in montreal for trying to steal the city flag?

Not sure of the year but I swear I heard that happened.