1988 .. an incredible year of change

It's too bad that we could not have tied in Semi-Finals! We never competed against you in 88 until Semi-Finals, and since we performed last that night, we didn't get to see your show at all. Once I got the albums and listened to your show, my jaw hit the florr. You guys were fantastic! 12th to 15th place in 88 has to be among the strongest ever. Freelancers were amazing, Crossmen had a hot show, and Dutch Boy - man what a sizzling show. I never saw the guard live, but the pics I saw :doh: - man were they lovely!

Sadly, I've never seen or heard Dutch Boy from 88. Like Tim said, we didn't have any opportunity all season. :( Although, the pics on the "Some Old Drum Corps Photos" thread look great. And I've heard nothing but good comments, so I'm sure I'd love the show.

actually I consider 87 a more significant year with regard to change.

Regiment to all white, Cadets with their still unbelievable show of Appalachian Spring and so on.

That being said, 88 was a wonderful year.

I would also say that Madison's win was FAR from a no-brainer.

NO one thought they were going to win and pretty much everyone thought SCV had it locked up.

SCVs 88 Phantom of the Opera show was superior to their 89 show in almost every way.

It always amazes me how many people go gaga over SCV 89 and then are left with jaws dropped once they see 88.

Actually, everyone, including I thought BD had it locked up. No one had beaten them all season. We got with 0.4 of SCV the Monday before finals. I knew that night that it was possible that we may beat SCV (the corps I idolized above all) at finals. That was an exciting thought to me. I remember watching them practice during finals week in 1987 and just being blown away. Same can be said with '85 and '86. To me, they were the epitome of great drum corps, regardless of their placement. Just a real class act. I have nothing but fond memories of SCV and even being on the same level as them was a true honor. It was ironic in '88 for me, because I was nearly heartbroken in '85-'87 when they finished 2nd place. I was thrilled to be on the field in 1989 when they won.

Edited by gellio

Sadly, I've never seen or heard Dutch Boy from 88. Like Tim said, we didn't have any opportunity all season. :( Although, the pics on the "Some Old Drum Corps Photos" thread look great. And I've heard nothing but good comments, so I'm sure I'd love the show.

Yeah, we didn't get to see a lot of corps from the stands. I never saw Phantom, Cavies, or Star from the stands either. We always seemed to perform after them, or just before them. It was crazy. I saw Garfield once from the stands and SCV once or twice.

I had a friend in Sky Ryders and according to him, they thought Dutch Boy was going to knock them out. He said the corps had dubbed themselves "The Score Divers" - pretty funny.

'88 was a great year. What I think really separated the top three from the rest of the pack was the energy of the performances. Us, SCV and BD really seemed to attack our shows. It's interesting how the caption scores came out. BD lost on visual and SCV on brass. I think any of the top three were deserving of the title. If we had done what we did in semis, there would have been no question, but we had the better show in semis. I love SCV that year, and I think the Cavies had the overall best package. It was such a great show.

I do agree that it was a special year in terms of the shows we saw, and who can forget Spirit doing classical?

Hey there SkyRyderFMM - I would so have loved a tie!! We should have both performed on Saturday night! I'm so glad to hear you liked our show. I have it on VHS and I still love to watch it. Your show looked like a lot of fun to perform. Lots of entertainment value.

Bradrick - if you would like to hear Dutch Boy almost any year go to Dutch Boy. Go to the media section and then click on the MP3s.

Something interesting about the 80's and prior....some corps would repeat all or part of a show from year to year. SCV with Phantom of the Opera, BD with T.O., PR with 1812, Madison with Ballet in Brass, VK with Magical Mystery Tour, etc.

I never remember anyone complaining about this - it was just the way things were which was cool. Anyone know why corps did this?

Edited by 2CoolVK

I think that one reason that music was repeated in the seventies and early eighties was that alot of members didn't read music - so it was easier for the vets to teach the rookies the music. We also didn't have "spring training" back then so getting the show together was always a mad dash!!!!

I just remember what a rush it was joining a corps and getting to play one of their signature songs.

Oh and Dutch Boy were phenomenal back then. Should have made finals in '88, '89 and '91 - and '86 and '87 were great too (but Neddy you already know what I think don't you :P )

Later,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Long time no talk! I hope you are doing well. Email me if you have time.

Neddy

88 was a great year overall. A very emotional year for Dutch Boy members - we worked so hard that year and had a great corps/ show, only to end up sitting and watching finals from the stands on Saturday night. It was very difficult to watch corps perform that you had beaten several times during the season. Oh well. Still a great year. Don't regret a minute.

We did win best colour guard at DCI semi finals. I don't know if DCI had ever presented that award before for corps 13 to 25 or if they ever gave it again following 1988 but we did win best guard at semis. That was cool.

I'll never forget the tears we all cried together in the stands on Friday night and in the parking lot in Kansas after the scores were announced after semis. I must say that many other corps were so classy that night consoling us and congratulating us a fine show and year and reminding us to be proud. 13th by 2 tenths was still something to be proud of.

Maybe it was no coincidence that we played " It was a very good year"!.

That was one of the best battles for 12th in DCI history! Crossmen, Dutch Boy, SKy Ryders and the Freelancers were swapping places all season long. We couldn;t believe Sky beat us at Nats' especially since we were kicking their tail at all of the DCI Regionals all season. One night they beat us by two points, the next night we beat them by 4. It was CRAZY!

All in all, I believe yhings ended up the way they were supposed to, although I would have loved to see Dutch and Sky tie. That would have been great. I remember hugging a few people from Dutch Saturday night. I didn't know any of them, but they were some of the nices people in the world. That was a great year... I can't believe it was 19 years ago.

Edited by Newseditor44

That was one of the best battles for 12th in DCI history! Crossmen, Dutch Boy, SKy Ryders and the Freelancers were swapping places all season long. We couldn;t believe Sky beat us at Nats' especially since we were kicking their tail at all of the DCI Regionals all season. One night they beat us by two points, the next night we beat them by 4. It was CRAZY!

I can see that happening pretty easily. Sky's entire show (IMO) was less about execution and more about emotion (meaning it didn't or couldn't work without laying it all out there). If they had a flat night on the EMOTOnometer ... the score could take a quick dump. It's risky to do that kind of show .. but man the payoffs...... I guess that's why we don't see things like that anymore :(

Edited by supersop