1988 .. an incredible year of change

That was one of the best battles for 12th in DCI history! Crossmen, Dutch Boy, SKy Ryders and the Freelancers were swapping places all season long. We couldn;t believe Sky beat us at Nats' especially since we were kicking their tail at all of the DCI Regionals all season. One night they beat us by two points, the next night we beat them by 4. It was CRAZY!

All in all, I believe yhings ended up the way they were supposed to, although I would have loved to see Dutch and Sky tie. That would have been great. I remember hugging a few people from Dutch Saturday night. I didn't know any of them, but they were some of the nices people in the world. That was a great year... I can't believe it was 19 years ago.

All the corps in 12th to 15th place were awesome in 1988. We all came to play and play we did. I imagine that any of the corps in 12th to 15th would have made finals any other year. Everyone is still so shocked at what happened at finals that year that the amazing battle for 12th gets overlooked. ( I absolutely loved BD that year and incidentally I really like Star)

Newseditor, if you were one of the people that gave me a hug on Saturday night I'd like to thank you. It was much needed and well appreciated. By the way, I loved your show.

No offence to Sky Ryders but we didn't expected them to be our fight for 12th spot based on what the prior scores were in 88 as you had pointed out above. We truly believed it would either be you guys or Crossman to beat us for 12th and then when we heard the announcer say Freelancers were 15th and Crossmen were 14th were ready to celebrate. We just didn't expect to hear our name announced in 13th.

I can admit that despite my foul mood on Saturday night I really did enjoy Sky Ryders show.

Actually we (Cavies) were just happy to be top 5 that year. we had a very rookie heavy corps and were beat by Bluecoats early in the summer!!!!

Believe me 5th was just fine!

Later,

Mike

Don't feel bad.

I saw the Bluecoats surprise a lot of people when they took first place at the Whitewater show at the beginning of the summer.

I hope you don't mind my saying so....but it was one of the most memorable nights of my drum corps career. I mean that as a compliment. You know that you are a great drum corps with an amazing legacy, when somebody will remember for the rest of their lives, the only time they ever beat you.

who can forget Spirit doing classical?

As much as I try I can't. I can listen to that show anytime, but watching it hurts.

I do agree that it was a special year in terms of the shows we saw, and who can forget Spirit doing classical?

My poor younger brother marched spirit that year, and I felt bad because I was partly responsible LOL

I had started marching Regiment in 86, and after watching me march 86 and 87, he wanted to march but wasn't sure if it was for him. He was living in Atlanta at the time so I told him to march Spirit in 88 as they were local and if he didn't like it he could just bail.

Well, he liked corps, but Spirit, especially the classical Spirit. The next year (89) he joined me at Regiment and we got to march 89 and 90 together. Was a lot of fun getting to march with one of my brothers.

I can see that happening pretty easily. Sky's entire show (IMO) was less about execution and more about emotion (meaning it didn't or couldn't work without laying it all out there). If they had a flat night on the EMOTOnometer ... the score could take a quick dump. It's risky to do that kind of show .. but man the payoffs...... I guess that's why we don't see things like that anymore :(

That's the truth. And we were ON in Semi-Finals. The corps knew we were on the bubble, and many of us were doubtful we would make Finals. We started hyping before we arrived in the parking lot by rocking the bus back and forth as we drove up to the stadium. I remember watching both Suncoast and Phantom's horn lines stop their warm up to look at our busses pulling in as they rocked back and forth. Warm-up was unhinged, then once we were on the field, everyone was just letting loose. The result? We had THE most emotional performance of the year in Semi-Finals. Without the massive hyping building up to our performance, I am certain we would have been on the outside looking in on Saturday night.

Hi Mike,

Long time no talk! I hope you are doing well. Email me if you have time.

Neddy

Hey Annette - e-mailed you this morning :)

Later,

Mike

Don't feel bad.

I saw the Bluecoats surprise a lot of people when they took first place at the Whitewater show at the beginning of the summer.

Actually, the placements at Whitewater were:

1) Scouts

2) Bluecoats

3) Cavies

4) Star

5) Phantom

Two days later in Normal:

1) Scouts

1) Phantom

3) Star

4) Cavies

5) Bluecoats

Don't remember the exact scores, but they can be verified at corpsreps.com or scorpsboard.com. Bluecoats never beat us in '88 and Whitewater was the only show they beat Phantom and Star.