1. 1. Allow marching Sousaphones

• Yes
    • No; keep them out.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people with ears? And eyes also.

I remember the YEA! tryouts that I was at a few years ago with some sousaphones in use. It looked soooo wrong and so bad!

I vote no...and i've marched the instrument and marched contra. I just don't think it's impressive musically or physically. Anyone can throw one over their shoulder and do fine. Shoot...I marched next to somone that was 4'10" and it worked out just great for them.

I'd rather watch a group of people throw around a "marching tuba" or contra, and honestly, with today's musical developments of instruments, I would rather listen to anything but a sousaphone.

That's just me.

It is very true in hot weather the F will become sharp. The rest of the horn will also become sharp, prompting the main tuning slide to be pulled out, thus bringing the other partials into tune (or closer to) while flatening the F. This also an interesting fact you may not know. I've been in touch with Dynasty's Dan Getzen about their products and he informed me that all their horns are developed in side at a constant 70F in their Texas facility. The horns don't hit the field 'till the corps use them.

My only intent was to share my initial impressions of the Dynasty horn. It is a good horn that does have flaws. All horns have their own little quirks, that's why I also included the flaws of the 20K.

Could you please expand on this, I'm having trouble following you:

"The upper register in the Dynasty will open up as you learn to relax your air through the horn instead of force it through."

I do very much realize that as you pull out your main tuning slide out this will flatten all partials, however my experience on that same horn has taught me that the horn itself plays much more in tune as the temperature gets higher.

Dynasty Tubas are not made in Texas. Just FYI... Try Brazil, WI, or if you are a Blue Devil, England.

as for relaxing your air, don't smile as you play higher and pinch it off, simply pucker up as if you were kissing your mommy goodnight and let it flow.

I vote no...and i've marched the instrument and marched contra. I just don't think it's impressive musically or physically. Anyone can throw one over their shoulder and do fine. Shoot...I marched next to somone that was 4'10" and it worked out just great for them.

I'd rather watch a group of people throw around a "marching tuba" or contra, and honestly, with today's musical developments of instruments, I would rather listen to anything but a sousaphone.

That's just me.

That's true...they'e not impressive physically and I think that point gets played down too often. Sousaphones have long been the butt of marching band jokes and we don't need/want that in drum corps. Furthermore, we've got a real good thing going in corps with all of the bell-front brass bugles...a similiar, parallel look instrument-to-instrument, if you know what I mean. It's a neat, clean and balanced look which allows the viewer to focus on the drill in ways that sousaphones do not allow (their bulk and awkward shape interupts the drill lines, etc.). No sousaphones in drum corps, please. Even as a joke or a parody. No sousaphones.

You're not a dinosaur, I definitely agree with this :blink:

Even if you are a dinosaur, you're still right. :) The self-indulgent, laid-back style was cool in Bridgemen and VK, but even there it pushed the envelope. Discipline is central to drum corps and standing at attention is part of that tradition. When done properly, it not only looks great...impressive...but can also instill in the marcher a sense of strength, pride and power that they'll never get by standing around scratching their ##### and yacking it up.

The contra/marching tuba looks so much sweeter because of the MAD horn pops that can be made with the instrument. You can't do horn pops with a sousaphone. At all.

Seriously, why are we even discussing this?

Also one more thing....HAMBONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MISS YOU DUUUUDE!

Sousaphones have long been the butt of marching band jokes and we don't need/want that in drum corps.

But people seriously state that we need to allow everything else that is routinely allowed onto the marching band field. As if woodwinds weren't made fun of either. Watch some BOA videos to see some clarinet players jump around after a solos and tell me that doesn't scream "band geek."

Edited by Tekneek