Marching Styles

Whats the point of the elbows anyway? I've always wondered...

if you are moving straight across the field, using backward technique, raising the elbow to parallel makes you march in a straight line for some reason. no drifting toward the sideline.

plus it looks cool.

I like watching Cadets best, mostly because of the cream pants...I just find dark pants almost unwatchable in terms of admiring marching technique...that works fine for Cavies because they want you to see forms and whiplash moves, but not so much with BD because they're usually not as interesting in the drill design (to me, of course).

i would say that the blue devils have by far been the best marching group, and had the best, most practical technique since todd ryan started teaching there. (a couple exceptions: 1998 and 2005 and maybe 2002.)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just like how a lot of groups have distinctive styles that seem to fit their identities... Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavies, SCV and Blue Knights just seem to have signature movement techniques, and it's hard for me to picture any of those groups with a different technique.

Speaking of BK, what's the story behind their technique? How did it start? Why do they do it? Pros/cons? Anyone want to share the details?

To me, it seems very similar to Cavies technique .. other than the knee pop out to the 45 as a 1 beat prep.

To me, it seems very similar to Cavies technique .. other than the knee pop out to the 45 as a 1 beat prep.

BK is very similar to cavaliers moving forward. Backwards is similar but the heel does not roll all the way down, as done with the cavaliers style. Also, the cavaliers do not prep directions changes like many straight leg styles do. i.e. no diagonal foot placement when changing from forward to slide.

I don't really have a favorite...BD is good, mostly just because they do it extremely well not that their philosophy is better or worse than anyone else. The only thing I hate is any style that does not re-articulate on count 1 of a phrase, like going from backward to forward.

BK is very similar to cavaliers moving forward. Backwards is similar but the heel does not roll all the way down, as done with the cavaliers style. Also, the cavaliers do not prep directions changes like many straight leg styles do. i.e. no diagonal foot placement when changing from forward to slide.

I don't really have a favorite...BD is good, mostly just because they do it extremely well not that their philosophy is better or worse than anyone else. The only thing I hate is any style that does not re-articulate on count 1 of a phrase, like going from backward to forward.

Rearticulate? YOu mean you don't like stop and goes / tondue? That's something that has pretty much gone out that window the I LOVED!!!!!!! There is so much "blowing through" sets these days in order to maintain velocity that clarity suffers a good percentage of the time. With tondue stop and goes, there was no question about when sets hit .. or if they were clean or dirty. I'm not saying it should be used on every set, but only as warranted when the technique calls for it .. or for effect.

Edited by supersop

Prep, Step, Push, Pass, Reach.

These are the 5 basic parts of the Blue Knights technique. You first prep on count 4 to a full coupe, then you extend the foot forward to a tondue before rolling through at the last possible moment and placing the heel on the ground. You then roll through the foot until it is flat on the ground and the back leg and foot are extended in tondue. The back leg is then brought forward until the foot is parallel to the opposit leg in coupe. Then the foot is again extended forward in a tondue before rolling through again. The only time both legs are straight is on the beat. The backwards step is exactly the same as the forward step. the technique was developed by Rob Billings, the visual designer/artistic director. He told us that this is the same way he teaches people how taught people walk again after serious accidents as a physical therapist. It is an exaggeration of how we naturally walk, fully pushing forward with the back leg.

Hope that helps.

People will trash me for this, but here goes.....

I did not enjoy BK's show last year, but I must admit I found it hard to watch and appreciate due to the distracting nature of their marching technique.

It made me think of the Royal Lipizzaner Stallions.......or prancing "My Little Pony". And, its "jerky" motion doesn't seem to jive with slow, legato music.

Only my opinion.

Didn't read the other pages--someone else may have already pointed out...

It's awfully hard to hide ticks when you wear white top to bottom! Yes, I'm biased--cut me and I bleed Phantom. And the fourth position thing and attention with heel in small is pretty cool.

Gotta point out that nobody--NOBODY!!--used to beat Regiment in marching. Nobody. For like 7 years in a row, including '92 I think! Hard to hide ticks, so you have to be better. That went out the window in '93 if I remember.

All white--who came up with that? How cool?