Blue Devils Jazz Show Themes

OK, how's this--put up or shut up. I'm a PR guy and I've got a good one--sort of. My definition of jazz is pretty broad having been at North Texas. Everything from Basie and Kenton (as in Kenton Hall, where the One O'Clock rehearses!) to Norah Jones, also of NT progeny, counts.

So here's my suggestion--not the whole show, but can you imagine the whole trumpet section wailing on this one?

Werle Trumpet Concerto #2. I used to play in the Metropolitan Winds, a Dallas area wind ensemble, and we've performed it twice. First time with Arturo Sandoval and in 2004 at TMEA with Adam Rapa, formerly of the Madison Scouts and Blast/Cyberjam. Holy snot! Kid can play!! Funny, too! Sandoval, on his performance, ends the cadenza at the end of the third movement with some little ditty that goes low in the register. Well, I used to be a bass trombonist, with quite a good low register, thank you! Believe me when I say I didn't know the trumpet could play as low as Adam went in the same place--FLAYED Arturo! Loud, too. Sounded like a piccolo trumpet with a Schilke 59 bass trombone mouthpiece on it!

:drool::music::doh::rock::huh2:

:huh::doh::drool::music::worthy:

:worthy::music::music::doh::drool:

Other suggestions???

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a Weather Report themed show would be awesome... actually, a Zawinul or Pastorius show would also be fantastic... Imagine Jaco's Liberty City done with the Blue Devils.... Other corps have already used Jaco/Pee Wee Ellis's The Chicken, so I think that would also be a good addition.

Or how about Maynard Ferguson? Conquistador as the opener... just a slow build, with a Sop solo at the beginning, and then BANG, it hits into the percussive blasts. *drools* Not to mention Primal Scream, his version of Birdland, MacArthur Park.... the list goes on and on.

Or how about Maynard Ferguson? Conquistador as the opener... just a slow build, with a Sop solo at the beginning, and then BANG, it hits into the percussive blasts. *drools* Not to mention Primal Scream, his version of Birdland, MacArthur Park.... the list goes on and on.

Empire Statesmen 2007 will take care of your MF jones.

How 'bout a Mingus show:

Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting - Slow build into an intense hit

Goodbye Porkpie Hat - Laid back ballad

Either "Moanin'" or "Haitin Fight Song" as the closer... or, knowing the Blue Devils habit of chopping up pieces, you could just mix them together.

I just have a name for one:

BD presents: "Yes, Another #### Jazz Show, Wanna Fight About It?"

:P

Edited by geluf

Machine: Our Way

Brass Machine

Wind Machine

Sex Machine

This is actually a really interesting idea.

RCR can help you out too.

Opener - Conquistador :)

2nd tune - Brass Machine B)

jafar I really like the "Burning for Buddy" idea. They are awesome CDs.

Machine: Our Way

Brass Machine

Wind Machine

Sex Machine

This reminds me of a couple of days ago when I was talking with my friend. She's a major show choir nut, and we were talking about interesting themes, and naturally, sex came up.

Opener: Like a Virgin

Ballad: Let's Get it on

Closer: Lets Talk About Sex

It was just a really funny conversation.

Nick