Jaw dropping visuals in History

Ooops, so I missed that. Sorry, I will have to get out the tape and watch it this weekend. I'm sure it was difficult, but, I don't remember the crowds, jaws dropping at that. (maybe the guard seemed hidden) My mistake. 27th is still the best guard ever in my book, and will never be topped for their disipline and stamina. Just watch the faces on those DVD's and all will agree.

My words: "It's a shame that one of the most difficult moves (IMO) - in 1980 may have not been noticed. Right after OTL ends the rifles and flags go back field together and one line of flags is in front of us, the other is in back."

Yep, that's why I mentioned that it went unnoticed When rehearsing on tour the onlookers would do a jaw drop or 2 but on the field we were so far back, it was so fast that it may have been missed. Also, it may have been lost by having the 2 uniforms in such close proximity.

undefinedAt prelims in 80 a gust of wind took my rifle backwards, it came down flush on the flag lady behind me so she was uninjured. I believe she caught it........that's some quick thinking!

Also, what I thought was jaw dropping was the rifle exchange in On The 20th Century. Because the flags were in a straight line on the front sideline doing an exchange it may have not been seen. In 81, from the video I have, their is much noise for it. It was in the OTL and done over the contra section.

comment -sometimes I feel that the flagline doesn't get as much credit as they are due. Their flag book I feel was more difficult than the rifles. The whole guard had to do the show on flag and I can tell you that not only is it a different set of muscles, but to execute some of the stuff was really unbelievable. I believe it was much more difficult to be a Lancer flag than rifle.

Anyway, none of what we did was all that jaw dropping. Many of the other things mentioned in this thread were more so IMO. :grouphug:

just my 27 cents.

Edited by LancerFi

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I first saw that at a show in Malden, MA. I still can't get over it. To me the difficulty of that whole move is beyond belief and it was done so beautifully I might add!

Did the Kilties also do something like that?

:grouphug:

I'm thinking the Kilts did a handspring at the end of their show and wound up in the PR leg wedge/salute.

IIRC, they just did a handspring w/o tossing a rifle, tho.

But I've been wrong before.

Didn't one of those guys pop his knee out in Denver?

One of my favorite '73 Madison moves was when they were in a tight company front facing backfield with horns up and then, one at a time down the line, every half count, they would do a quick "about face", flipping their horns over... BoomBoomBoomBoom... till the end. Hard to describe, but definitely a jaw dropper.

Not really a "drill" move, but I swear, that the first time I saw SCV in '88 at Semis do the "disappearing" act with the Phantom face parachute, my brain thought that they had actually sunk down, via a trap door, into the field. It was sooo cool. '88 is STILL my favorite version of "Phantom" :blink: .

1985 Vanguard. RUNNING into the tunnel with green pants, coming out with white ones.

I agree, it blew me away the first time I saw it...wasn't sure of the year though, thanks for the post!

also...BD guard wings a classic, Bridgemen strut and 27th rifles spinning while laying down

Great call on that Jerome.

Everyone was watching and rooting for him to make it.

Zingali was a MAD genius!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Smith starting the show up the ramp in 1985 Garfield and making it to the first set perfectly(I know its a drill move,but its f in awesome) :ph34r:
Edited by dckid80

My words: "It's a shame that one of the most difficult moves (IMO) - in 1980 may have not been noticed. Right after OTL ends the rifles and flags go back field together and one line of flags is in front of us, the other is in back."

Yep, that's why I mentioned that it went unnoticed When rehearsing on tour the onlookers would do a jaw drop or 2 but on the field we were so far back, it was so fast that it may have been missed. Also, it may have been lost by having the 2 uniforms in such close proximity.

undefinedAt prelims in 80 a gust of wind took my rifle backwards, it came down flush on the flag lady behind me so she was uninjured. I believe she caught it........that's some quick thinking!

Also, what I thought was jaw dropping was the rifle exchange in On The 20th Century. Because the flags were in a straight line on the front sideline doing an exchange it may have not been seen. In 81, from the video I have, their is much noise for it. It was in the OTL and done over the contra section.

comment -sometimes I feel that the flagline doesn't get as much credit as they are due. Their flag book I feel was more difficult than the rifles. The whole guard had to do the show on flag and I can tell you that not only is it a different set of muscles, but to execute some of the stuff was really unbelievable. I believe it was much more difficult to be a Lancer flag than rifle.

Anyway, none of what we did was all that jaw dropping. Many of the other things mentioned in this thread were more so IMO. :ph34r:

just my 27 cents.

You are too humble. Let's face it-that was one VERY clean guard!

Gary Stoodley

Schaumburg Guardsmen

Edited by stoods59

Those flags, especially when both 'silks' were out, were darn heavy! If you watch the 1980 video, pay attention to the two handed spins the flag line does. The strength and control required were amazing! (Watch, especially, the spins in "On the Twentieth Century").

To physically maneuver that weight was hard enough, but doing it with perfect timing was :laugh:

Those flags, especially when both 'silks' were out, were darn heavy! If you watch the 1980 video, pay attention to the two handed spins the flag line does. The strength and control required were amazing! (Watch, especially, the spins in "On the Twentieth Century").

To physically maneuver that weight was hard enough, but doing it with perfect timing was :ph34r:

Jimmy, we really do think alike. I said to my husband way back when while watching the DVD: look at the innersia (sp) while they'e moving doing that spinning in that exact place.

I'm not even sure that that word means what I was saying to him, but he understood!

Jimmy, we really do think alike. I said to my husband way back when while watching the DVD: look at the innersia (sp) while they'e moving doing that spinning in that exact place.

I'm not even sure that that word means what I was saying to him, but he understood!

As great as the guard work in "New Country" (drum solo) was, and yes, IMHO it was Jaw Dropping b**bs - the work in "Twentieth Century" was much more difficult. The rifles had some difficult catches and body movement, the flag AND rifle exchanges, and the above mentioned fast spinning. For its time, (yes, I know it doesn't compare with today's tempos, BUT) for its time, "Twentieth Century" had some very fast tempos. The flag toss at the end of the intro always floored me, and the rifle catches while bending over, whoooey!

By the way, kudos to that contra line for coming up with those awesome - well, whimsical is the only word that fits - visuals!! :ph34r:

Disclaimer: I neither taught nor marched 27th in 1980. I was teaching Avant Garde, and was "just a fan" like everybody else. :)

Edited by A27Lancer

1974(ish) Phantom's "Are you ready to take the field" acceptance salute.

The drum major walks through the 2 rifle lines with rifles being tossed in front and behind.

Great way to start your show....It got my attention.

SCV Bottle dance......any year

Dave