Okay than...

Trooper's sunburst...any frigg'n year!!! :drool:

Okay, how about 1969 at the World Open?

1969_WorldOpen_1.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, now that's a fantastic picture of the Troopers!! And that was actually jaw dropping to see that for the first time, back in the 60's.

Another jaw dropper, was Phantoms crab walk, and yes, SCV's uniform change in the tunnel. 27th's blind flag toss.

Garfields Z-pull, and most of Cavies drills were awesome. I've seen the crowd 'jaw-dropping' very few times, but these were the big moves that DID get everyone.

Lots of corps had thrilling moments, but they were NOT all JAW-DROPPING like these few that have been mentioned.

Good thread.

WOW, now that's a fantastic picture of the Troopers!! And that was actually jaw dropping to see that for the first time, back in the 60's.

Another jaw dropper, was Phantoms crab walk, and yes, SCV's uniform change in the tunnel. 27th's blind flag toss.

Garfields Z-pull, and most of Cavies drills were awesome. I've seen the crowd 'jaw-dropping' very few times, but these were the big moves that DID get everyone.

Lots of corps had thrilling moments, but they were NOT all JAW-DROPPING like these few that have been mentioned.

Good thread.

It's a shame that one of the most difficult moves (IMO) - in 1980 may have not been noticed. Right after OTL ends the rifles and flags go back field together and one line of flags is in front of us, the other is in back.

The first toss we do the front flags do a blind throw over our heads but in between our rifles. We then throw another toss and the back flags throw over our heads and we catch it kneeling on 1 leg.

It can actually be seen quite clearly on the DVD however it's taped on the echelon so to speak and I guess maybe we were so far back it was lost on the field.

The first show we lost in 1980 was in Malden MA - there were torrential downpours and 40 to 50 mile an hour winds. I ask if we could forego the flip which was a 5 - NOPE...needless to say .09 penalty on just that toss. We lost to Madison.

Being a drummer I love drum visuals. Some that come to mind were the Anaheim stick flip circa 72-73 can't remember exactly. The Bridgemen blindfold drum solo. Cavaliers around 76 I believe snares playing a roll with the sticks coming up to their ears and playing clean!

Do you mean the stick toss in Blue Meanies? That was bad a@@ed!!!! Or the counter revolving cymbal ride? The snare line split, faced each other and tossed them across to one another. Frigg'n awesome!!!! :drool:

Okay, how about 1969 at the World Open?

1969_WorldOpen_1.jpg

Mmmmm, yesssss....Good Choice!!!! :drool:

It's a shame that one of the most difficult moves (IMO) - in 1980 may have not been noticed. Right after OTL ends the rifles and flags go back field together and one line of flags is in front of us, the other is in back.

The first toss we do the front flags do a blind throw over our heads but in between our rifles. We then throw another toss and the back flags throw over our heads and we catch it kneeling on 1 leg.

It can actually be seen quite clearly on the DVD however it's taped on the echelon so to speak and I guess maybe we were so far back it was lost on the field.

The first show we lost in 1980 was in Malden MA - there were torrential downpours and 40 to 50 mile an hour winds. I ask if we could forego the flip which was a 5 - NOPE...needless to say .09 penalty on just that toss. We lost to Madison.

Ooops, so I missed that. Sorry, I will have to get out the tape and watch it this weekend. I'm sure it was difficult, but, I don't remember the crowds, jaws dropping at that. (maybe the guard seemed hidden) My mistake. 27th is still the best guard ever in my book, and will never be topped for their disipline and stamina. Just watch the faces on those DVD's and all will agree.

I like watching the Guardsman rifles doing the blind toss over the contra's. That was really cool, if not untidy

I like the toss our rifles did over the corps in 1980.

The rifle toss, roll over and catch in 1982's ending. Still have bruises from that one.

The rifle toss over the prop in 1984.

The many flag and rifle exchanges in 1987

The flag exchange over the corps at the ending of both the 1990 and 1991.

The moving cross of Star of Indiana.

The visuals during the drum solo's of 27th 1979 and 1980 shows. Nancy I remember the move you are speaking of.

The 16 rifles the Phantom Regimate guard had on the field in 1980. Awesome :huh:

Guards that used double silks in 1980 all created great visuals on the field.

The rifle exchange the Skyryders did in 1982. Wasn't clean, but it was a awe moment.

I have too many jaw dropping visuals I could name, but my mouth is getting dry from having it open too much.

And the company front with the Pirate King and the sword in front of the corps. Cool!

awwww!! Justin!! That moment gave me marmot-bumps (like goosebumps, but the size of marmots) at the time.. and just thinking about it gives me a little chill.. Love that..

The first time I saw Cavaliers' Diamond Cutter really knocked me off my seat.. I think it was 99?

Vanguard's pants change in 85 (I think.. it was my first live show.. lots of things are jumbled about that memory)..

My first flying Z on video.. and then live 6 years later when they wound it back up..

96 Regiment's laser light show poles..

Disappearing/reappearing cross.. what year was that? 90?

92 Cadets silent drill..

Vanguard's disappearing corps.. (88 and 89, I think.. it was replaced at finals).. also the magic switch at the end of Red Poppy.. I think that was 96?

:) I love thinking these up because they're all such great memories for me..

Sky Ryders rifles did many very hard things and rarely stopped doing them. We introduced a few moves and had a few jaw droppers. Main thing that comes to mind was the leap frog rifle toss at the end of the opener each year for about four years running. I first remember seeing that move in 1981 and the last time was in 1985, but it was changed/simplified. 1984 was the last year that I remember it being the full, traditional trick.

Edited by Periphery

The rifle toss, roll over and catch in 1982's ending. Still have bruises from that one.

I believe I first saw that at a show in Malden, MA. I still can't get over it. To me the difficulty of that whole move is beyond belief and it was done so beautifully I might add!

Did the Kilties also do something like that?

:grouphug: