Too Simple?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated the song after about 3 notes. I turned my head...muttered...a WTF and then let out a huge yawn. I felt so bad for the horn players. What a pile of goo that tune was. May it forever rest in peace.

Eh, I like Champion's Fanfare just as much as America O Canada. WHOAMG opinion.

Simple Gifts...eh

Had a not-so-great arrangement for marching band last season, if it were thought out better I probably would have liked the song more. Then this year we sightread through Holsinger's "American Faces", I really liked that song though. Go figure

I'm not sure I feel the same way about West Side Story. I guess I'm not sick of the music yet.

A piece I'd consider putting on that list maybe in the next few years would be either October or Sleep by Eric Whitacre(Water Night too). Lots of overuse recently...and quite frankly I don't think most of the arrangements live up to the originals.

"WHOAMG"...I don't think I've ever seen that one before. heh

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

whats WHOAMG ?

They're drum corps classics and should remain as such. How would you like it if Beethoven's 9th could never again be played by any symphony orchestra?

I don't think anyone would really complain. I can even recall a John Adams quote, basically saying that it would be great if we could just temporarily retire all of Beethoven's symphonies from Symphony Orchestra programs.

I don't think anyone would really complain. I can even recall a John Adams quote, basically saying that it would be great if we could just temporarily retire all of Beethoven's symphonies from Symphony Orchestra programs.

Wow. Disagree 100% with what Adams said. I want my great-great-grandchildren to be able to hear a performance of as many of Beethoven's Symphonies as possible...and I want them to hear a Division I DCI corps play Malagueña in full as part of their show, with no woodwinds or electronics or amplified vocals.

Wow. Disagree 100% with what Adams said. I want my great-great-grandchildren to be able to hear a performance of as many of Beethoven's Symphonies as possible...and I want them to hear a Division I DCI corps play Malagueña in full as part of their show, with no woodwinds or electronics or amplified vocals.

You can disagree until you're blue in the face, he's still right. His point for saying that they be "put away" for 10 years so that when we hear them again there's a revitalization and they're fresh to our ears...

actually based on the title of this topic, I thought you were proposing a Simple Gifts/WSS show...cause I'd actually like to see that

See Cadets 2002 closer...basically a WSS/SG medley.

Conversely, how would you like it if Beethoven's 9th was played at every concert? Too much of a good thing can be just that...too much.

Like Blue Shades??? It seems like every year someone does it. :worthy: it's the Malaguena/WWS of the 2000s.

Edited by sburstall