Too Simple?

1998 Delta Brigade

1999 Crossmen

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

2005 Dutch Boy

2006 Spirit

this qualifies as every year? more on topic is Aaron Copland music...this will be the first time since 1989 (and only the third year since 1965 [1966 is the other one]) that no junior corps is playing his music (though not everyone has announced yet)...I love his music though so I don't mind

Edited by tubawarrior

Back in the day before I-tunes and the Internet, before cable TV or Walkmans (a primitive form of portable media) when I was a kid, the only time I could hear a corps play West Side Story or Simple Gifts was when I actually heard a corps play West Side Story or Simple Gifts.

There were drum corps records (a primitive non-portable media), to be sure. But who could buy one? They weren’t in stores. There was no URL for online shopping. And who had the money anyway?

Back in the day, many fans were happy to hear favorites repeated because it was their only chance to hear the tune again year to year.

My point is the problem isn’t so much corps playing old favorites again. The problem is us playing old favorites on CD, DVD, MP3 – you name the acronym – over and over. Technology and affordability have given us the means of our own disaffection. Can’t get enough until we’ve had too much.

The solution is abstinence – not the corps, us. I lost my 2003 DVD for a while. Coincidentally, I misplaced my 2003 CD. When I found them (a miracle, found both the same day in different places), I rediscovered what I’d been taking for granted. After not listening for two years, I heard Canon, Malaguena and parts of West Side Story with a fresh ear. Loved it all over again. Thinking of locking other years away now too.

HH

Personally I think Simple Gift is done justice not with an orchestra, but with a Drum Corps. Such a melodic song with that aura of an anthem of pride is best expressed with brass in a company front. At least this is all within my opinion.

I agree that Appalachian Spring is a wonderful piece of music for drum corps...the 1987 Garfield Cadets is one of my all time favorite shows...but I disagree that it is better for drum corps than it is for the medium for which it was written.

I wonder if John Adams really wanted Beethoven taken out of the repertoire. I can see where he might be coming from - a modern composer championing the idea of more performance opportunities for modern music - but there's a reason Beethoven is performed as much as it is - those nine symphonies are all absolutely fantastic.

Sorry to get off topic. I can't think of any drum corps show that should be "retired" - as long as it was performed well, I'd LOVE to hear a great drum corps play West Side Story (or Appalachian Spring, or Malag(uen)a, etc.) again.

Edited by I Like Drum Corps

Also, "Ride" falls into this category, especially if you include marching bands.

Well I don't listen to marching bands so I couldn't comment on that. "Ride" has only been done twice (in the D1 ranks) in the drum corps idiom so it's far from retireable. I can't see a reason to do it again anyways.

So far...

I say Simple Gifts and WSS need a few years off.

Others say...

Championship Fanfare needs to go. (I think it's already gone.)

Whitacre music (October in particular)

and Ride...although there is some disagreement.

Again...this thread is not intended to be a platform to debate someone else's choices for songs they are tired of. The question remains....what are yours?

What songs have been overperformed?

I still stand by the WSS and SG as two I would not like to see again soon. The Norman Rockwell Boston show took care of the SG thing for me by the way. Straight from the pages of marching band shows. It was lackluster and showed zero creativitiy from the design team. The narration added NOTHING to the show and was, in fact to the shows detriment. And...too much singing. But, hey....that's why Simple Gifts is now on my list.

Sorry to rag so much on Boston's show...but they have sort of been at the forefront of translating marching band kind of shows onto the field. I know that's a very loose description, but their shows always feel marching bandy. Not good or bad...just marching bandy.

I go on all the time about how sick I am of WSS; it's one of the great musicals, but it would take a very special show to make me want to see/hear it again (and yours wasn't it, BLUE DEVILS. What was that?).

SG is ubiquitous, to be sure, but not as egregious as WSS, in my opinion. Go to corpsreps.com and look up "Children of Sanchez"-1979 must have been a fun year...

I go on all the time about how sick I am of WSS; it's one of the great musicals, but it would take a very special show to make me want to see/hear it again (and yours wasn't it, BLUE DEVILS. What was that?).

SG is ubiquitous, to be sure, but not as egregious as WSS, in my opinion. Go to corpsreps.com and look up "Children of Sanchez"-1979 must have been a fun year...

There was a year in the late 90s/early 2000s, where like five Div. II/III corps did Carmen in the same year. Talk about hot dog after hot dog.