Crossmen

This kind of idea musically/thematically is classic Aaron Guidry (and I mean that as a compliment). A lot of the shows he arranged for Ronald Reagan HS (get over it) were "classical" pieces like this but always with some musical twist or "hook" if you will. A great example of this is their "Beyond Perimeters" show. . .I think from 2003. You can find it on youtube.

I have not heard a note yet from the Crossmen, but I already feel good about this choice.

I thought the same thing. Something similar to "Beyond Perimeters", with familiar Bones melodies intertwined within the show, with Symphonic Metamorphasis tieing it all all together, is exactly what I'm anticipating.

I thought the same thing. Something similar to "Beyond Perimeters", with familiar Bones melodies intertwined within the show, with Symphonic Metamorphasis tieing it all all together, is exactly what I'm anticipating.

That's pretty much what the opener is like. I've liked what I heard at the last camp and am excited to see where it goes from here.

My H.S. Marching Band played that show. But we doubled it w/A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. :)

It was fun B)

umm... last time i checked BD was doing quite fine with jazz.

I miss the Jazz of the 70's and 80's. That was A LOT different that what we all call Jazz now. When we pushed the limits of BD Jazz in '91, people didn't care for it too much, however now it might be considered more mainstream.

I know I have said this before but for the record (again) I am a little worried about Bones changing direction a bit. I did not like their shift in 1995 or 1999 so as I said....I am worried.

Why can't we have an all-jazz corps/show win DCI ?? Are these days over ? I really hope not because to me, "MODERATION" is the key to everything.....including drum corps music. I enjoyed DCI a lot more when at least 3 or so of the top 12 corps played all-jazz shows.

Bones fan since 1987

Think back to Crossmen's beginnings....

1975 Overture to a New Era, Spanish Trip, Gospel John, Journey to the Center of the Earth

1976 Overture to a New Era, Spanish Trip, Let's Hear It For Me, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Tico, Tico, Colour My World, Make Me Smile

1977 Marche Slav, Let's Hear It For Me, Nadia's Theme, Bless The Beast And The Children, Russian Christmas Music

That's just in their first 3 years of existence....and how many tunes do you see that ARE JAZZ??? Sure, in the years to come they did add it to the program BUT they always threw SOMETHING else in that was not of JAZZ nature.

Russian Christmas Music is our corps song.....and that is not Jazz. :doh:

Check out Ronald Reagan's 2005 show, You Never Know...., on YouTube or Google Video. Their second movement was a combination of Leonard Bernstein's "Profonation" and Paul Hindemith's "Symphonic Metamorphosis"...it'll kind of give you a feel of what the music will sound like.

I LOVED how the piece grooved. It was fantastic!