Drum Corps Survivor - 2006

siLk

Drum Corps Survivor - Round 3  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps do you want to vote off the island?

• Phantom Regiment
    • Blue Devils
    • Bluecoats
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Knights
    • Carolina Crown
    • Madison Scouts
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Glassmen
    • Spirit from JSU

What is it about the BK show that you love???

Clearly we have two camps here, and I am interested in hearing what you guys are hearing that is so great, because I just don't see it.

I dunno... it just really grew on me.

How many times did you see it? I ended up seeing it a good 4-5 times, but I didn't really "get" it the first time; I think you just had to see it a few times for it to "click." But that's just me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting you mention that.

I liked them a little better early in the season when I saw them at Westminster MD compared to A-town in August.

Perhaps it's because there were so many other good shows that grabbed my attention more.

They were also loud as balls at the Beverly show, which made it somewhat more exciting... Cadets, Phantom, and Crossmen were at that show, and Boston was by far the loudest corps there.

Cadets, Phantom, and Crossmen were at that show, and Boston was by far the loudest corps there.

seriously? I mean, seriously?

Edited by raphael18

As I recall, yes. Someone else that was at that show can correct me if they want, but I remember being really impressed at the sound Boston was putting out.

What is it about the BK show that you love???

Clearly we have two camps here, and I am interested in hearing what you guys are hearing that is so great, because I just don't see it.

That's a fair question. For me, it's several things.

First off, I was familiar with the source material, and I really enjoyed the "drum corps-ization" of it. It's sort of like a good remix, in certain ways, I suppose. Certain elements in the original are brought out in unexpected ways, certain phrases are tweaked for the medium, etc... For me, it was fun to hear the BK music design teams spin on it. Faithful to the original in many ways, but it was made feasible to put on a football field.

Also, I liked that it was so different from everything else on the field this year. It felt like a BK show, and was absolutely unique to everything around them. It was, at least to me, intellectually challenging for me to listen to, but also had a pay-off for being engaged.

Most importantly, though, I just really felt like the music was communicating something strongly. It's passionate and angry, but a smoldering, simmering, under the surface kind of angry. It's sinister, dark, and intense without being explosive or over the top. It's the musical equivalent of the worst dirty look in history.

It wasn't a "I'm going to punch you in the face during a fit of rage" show, but rather a "I'm gonna scheme and plot and get back at you with a nasty surprise" kinda show. I felt the subtlety and complexity of those emotions were really cool, performed well, and were just more engaging than if they had tried to "dumb down" their angry vibe.

As I recall, yes. Someone else that was at that show can correct me if they want, but I remember being really impressed at the sound Boston was putting out.

No, I was there too and I remember Boston being ridiculously loud.

as biased as i may be in respect to this part of the conversation, i couldnt put it any better keith and i marched the show lol. nice to know that it touched atleast a few people, seeing as how many of the people on this board, what small part of the drum corps community it is, didnt get it or did and just didnt like it.