The Death of DCP

a rant about Gs vs. Bbs

Drum corps in this country can be traced back to the civil war and frankly, I'm glad the same instruments used back in the 1870s aren't still used today. I'm glad drum corps isn't just an activity for reinactors.

Funny - to me, you reference the argument you rant about.

Tom, if you want a cerebral discussion about drum corps, get some drum corps people - like those that have been around a while - and limit the discussion. As long as you can register with nothing more than an email account here, don't expect high end discussion all the time.

Besides, even though you may feel threads are coerced into topics of the day, they're still the hottest topics of the day. That's like saying, "talk about the news, except for what's on CNN."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a sec...in a show about Phantom Regiment 1989, I would be inclined to post, "Thank God we had this show without amps." I'm certain I've done this in threads about other shows. To me, one of the things that made that show great (which is the topic of the thread) was that it was performed acoustically and wasn't marred with cheesy narration or singing. Yet this is considered "hijacking"...

I'm confused...

Actually, I think that was one thing that people were saying was not hijacking, if I read it right.

I would consider it to be hijacking if it was like, "Thank God we had this show without amps. Amps suck and shouldn't be in Drum corps. Discuss." If it sounds like a new thread starter, and isn't a joke, then it might be hijacking.

I kinda preferred when we had that 150 page or so rant about amps so you pretty much always had that topic to debate about amps so you didn't have to debate about it anywhere else.

Man.. I wish some of those marimba lines could have been amped in that show. They were so well written but just don't cut...

That is an example of how even THIS thread COULD be hijacked.

Actually, thats right on topic. Amps are a part of drum corps and can be included, legitimately in any and all conversations pertaining to drum corps. Pro or con.

~G~

What do you guys think of the little blue guy with a pitch fork in G's avatar?

a rant about Gs vs. Bbs

George Hopkins and the evil empire

The Cadets, Cadets, Cadets of Bergen County, etc.

how no one can say anything negative about the Madison Scouts without getting green koolaid spewed all over you

drum corps don't play music anymore

WOODWINDS

how DCI is destroying drum corps

The Borg are offended they did not even get an honorable mention.

What do you guys think of the little blue guy with a pitch fork in G's avatar?

I'm sorry, I can't talk about it. It would be considered hijacking and some serious taboo. Or is that last sentence about me talking about not being able to talk about it actually in and of itself hijacking? What was the topic again?

Ah, yeah, the death of DCP.

I think DCP talks about the same stuff a lot, but no biggie. I know the title of the topic is kind of a play off of another topic, but I don't think it's going to die any time soon. I like DCP. I think it has it's merit. I think people would do better with some real drum corps action, like the drum corps season where there is plenty of substance to argue about instead of this long talk of theoreticals and dwelling on past shows to get us through. I think the conversation would flow better if more corps freely allowed their members to speak their minds. So, no, I don't think DCP is going to die any sooner or more than when drum corps died in 1972. Which is, clearly, not at all.

Edited by Stick Stack

Man.. I wish some of those marimba lines could have been amped in that show. They were so well written but just don't cut...

That is an example of how even THIS thread COULD be hijacked.

Hrothgar already beat you to it man... look above your original post...

a rant about Gs vs. Bbs

George Hopkins and the evil empire

The Cadets, Cadets, Cadets of Bergen County, etc.

how no one can say anything negative about the Madison Scouts without getting green koolaid spewed all over you

drum corps don't play music anymore

WOODWINDS

how DCI is destroying drum corps

All in all, I've enjoyed many different perspectives on DCP and I've learned from some wonderful people who took the time to set me straight when I wrote something in error, made a mistake, was flat out wrong.

I've developed some new friendships and reunited myself with people from my drum corps past. This is really a great tool and the people who provide it should be commended, BUT...

can we become a bit more original in our thoughts...our ideas...can we think a little harder before we post? Can we be more open to change of drum corps that has occurred in the past 20 year. Can some people just flt out develop some perspective.

Drum corps in this country can be traced back to the civil war and frankly, I'm glad the same instruments used back in the 1870s aren't still used today. I'm glad drum corps isn't just an activity for reinactors.

That's all I could think of right now.

Carry on.

People, I think what Tom is trying to say here is that we all need to get a bit more creative about threat topics, instead of rehashing the same negative threads again and again and again... Just a little creativity!

Oh wait, this is modern day drum corps... we're NOT allowed to be creative...

My bad.