#1 Neck Breaking Drill Move of All Time

Actually the corps in Purple who busted into finals 2002 from Div 2 had a pretty narly drill. I'm pretty sure a tenor player did a forward 360. Shook it off after a few seconds and hammered on. And a rifle did a slide out while trying to catch a wayward rifle drop in front of a charging snare line and barely got out of the way by the skin of his teeth.

Mom

2003 was much harder (and less effective, drill-wise) than 2002. He wasn't executing an overly difficult move; he was on the end of a form, and fell backwards after being tripped by a guard member.

My 3A high school marching band did that exact move. It's not that difficult.

Our director at the time had a thing about ripping off drill moves. lol.

You're right, it wasn't that difficult. But it sure did the trick leading up to the standing ovation before the show was done.

You're right, it wasn't that difficult. But it sure did the trick leading up to the standing ovation before the show was done.

i don't know, tekk.

i felt like i took my life into my hands every time we marched the end of the show. that might have had something to do with moving backward and to the left with a tuba, though.

as to the rest of the thread, its a shame that the 1998 videos don't show a high-cam view of the end of cadets' opener, but the only possible winner is the end of star 1991. that's the hallmark of fast drill.

i don't know, tekk.

i felt like i took my life into my hands every time we marched the end of the show. that might have had something to do with moving backward and to the left with a tuba, though.

as to the rest of the thread, its a shame that the 1998 videos don't show a high-cam view of the end of cadets' opener, but the only possible winner is the end of star 1991. that's the hallmark of fast drill.

I was being sarcastic Sam. We all know that move was pretty hard when we learned it. And I know you Tubas had it pretty bad. Everytime I watch that move I always look at the tubas. You guys amazed me sometimes.

Yeah, that show was awesome, that was back in the day before Cadets used amped vocals and were therefore infinitely better than they are now.

Best post in the history of DCP!!

Actually, we had this nasty pass-through thing front to back in the '94 PR show during the closer. We end the ballad (after the moon thing) kneeling down to re-collect our helmets. Took the folks moving backwards towards me a while to realize that then needed to leave enough room for me to pass through--go figure. Only took a couple near misses and one really good glancing blow to get the point across. Never knew one could fall and land on one knee and bounce so high--that'll hurt in 30 years!

Maybe not neck-breaking, but it could have been really ugly! Imagine getting tackled from behind by someone 6'5" and 250 lbs carrying a baritone being pile-driven into the back of your head. Like I said, leave a hole!

Star '91 or the Cavies ladder thing a couple years ago gets my nod for runner up. Actually, the Cavies have had at least one moment in each of the last three shows with rotating lines of fours and all the great circle stuff that is just mind-numbingly amazing. Too much to take in at once. Would love to see them on tour for a couple of weeks just to take this all in fully.

• Like 1

i don't know, tekk.

Actually, the thing in the middle of the '91 show where the insanely fast music and drill ends in a complete stop is pretty spectacular, too! What a mello book, BTW!!

Oh, got one more, Regiment 93 at the very end when the snare line comes running (and I mean running) to the front and has to pass thru the horn line which is moving side to side, both at full speed, up tempo. DCI week a judge got creamed on this move.

Always thought that was an impressive one.

We had the same basic ending in '94 and had the same basic drill to start the season with before adding the crab ending that we did in finals. Never seemed all that interesting or difficult. I was MUCH more happy with the crab ending. Would have LOVED to have added a similar crab to end the de Falla with. Would have fit at least as well--exposed quarter notes in driving pattern. Gotta love the crab step. I'm sure it bores the heck out of every drummer in the place, but we in the brass line like it fine, thanks!

Why is it a joke? While I won't say it was the most effective drill move I've ever been a part of, it was definitely the most scary. Everyone entered the ring of ladders blindly, and had drill moves every 4 counts. There were more than a few dings, busted lips, busted horns, knocked-over ladders, and knocked-over people during rehearsal.

What breakneck drill moves have you been a part of, Phitch?

If I remember correctly, there were only about four inches between feet and ladders when the contra/tubas entered the ring. Pretty scary if you're carrying 800 lbs of metal and trip. Yikes!

And gotta be honest, PP, if you never marched you need to use different terminology in this thread and give proper respect. Some of the simplest looking moves are the most difficult to pull off and the most amazingly difficult looking are boring on the field. Pass throughs, for example, look amazing because it looks like everybody is about to wipe out and then, voila--they don't! Amazing!! Bravo!! Yeah, yeah--they rehearse it 1200 times. Stuff like ladders or even marching near the color guard when they are working with silks (and FLAG POLES) wilts the heart of the manliest tuba/buick any day. A little too much wind and next thing you know it you're telling someone the Super Bowl is going to be in Ardmore, Oklahoma! (see if anybody catches that reference)