#1 Neck Breaking Drill Move of All Time

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but almost none of the drill moves listed in this thread are anywhere near as complicated as they look.

They are difficult, but the effect is that they look way harder than they actually are. This is the mark of a good drill designer.

Its like using contrary motion to give the illusion of speed.

Two lines march past each other in opposite directions parallel to the stands.

The effect is that each line appears to be going twice as fast as it really is.

Now, that being said. The cavies drill move with the ladder is an impressive one.

As is Star 91 with the cross. The most impressive part of the cross to cross drill is Zingali made it up and taught it on the spot, right out of his head. (or so I have been told by several friends who marched that year)

Also the Cadets had some killer drill moves thru the 80s, but the stuff they do now can't compare to then.

Their drill now is not nearly as hard as it was then. That being said, in many ways it IS more effective.

The first z-pull and so on. Drill was much crazier in the mid to late 80s because the tic system was dead and drill writers were finally free to explore. Some of them (zingali comes to mind) took great delight in pushing the boundaries of what the members could physically achieve. Eventually drill writers found the limits, backed off a bit to make it all achievable, and thats where we are now.

The craziest drill move I was ever a part of was in Regiments closer in 90 (Bacchanale) just before the big push, the baritones form a wedge near the back hash on side 2 and run across the field at a 3 to 5 step size. (we had to actually grab a girl with short legs under the arms to get her there) then after the gallop, we snapped 90 degrees into an 8 to 5 step. had a few wipe outs on rainy nights.

In Regiments 96 closer after the solo, the horns move from side 1 to side 2 transitioning between forms while the flags march the opposite way holding their form doing crazy work. always liked that one, but it does fall into the "looks harder than it is" category.

As far as neck breaking I always liked it when Madison did the full horn line rotation where they lined up on the 50 then rotated it to a company front. That guy on the end of line had to HAUL ###!

Oh, got one more, Regiment 93 at the very end when the snare line comes running (and I mean running) to the front and has to pass thru the horn line which is moving side to side, both at full speed, up tempo. DCI week a judge got creamed on this move.

Always thought that was an impressive one.

• Like 1

I'd say, these two from one year.... 2006.

both are Cav's moves.

1. Onion Slicer ( I like the sound of it ) at the end of Wired, the tuba and mellophone lines form circles and work their way down the line and everyone is running around inside the circles as they move then get spit out. Just watching one person and look where they go is crazy.

2. The two triangles, moving in and out of position while turning around. I'm bad at explaining this one, but it looks like there could have been multiple bang ups out of that move.

Regiment 2001 - the drumline is in a straight line rotating on what the audience would perceive as the left side of the field - that bottom bass was MOVING

well if your talking neck breaking as in, very dangerous. then in my experience it HAS to be the circle of death from cavs in 05.... so dangerous. the snareline actually had to move backwards through that mess. it was pretty much a human blender. so many kids got banged up in that.

that move was like those old kung fu training rituals where they do their moves on poles, if you mess up you fall on broken glass or spikes or something.

but if you mean neckbreaking as in, just plain crazy. the cadets have moves every year where i see not point other than to make the players run their legs off.

The danger factor in the 05 move you describe puts it high on my list as neck breaking for sure.

You guys have guts for pulling that off!

By the way Karl E. Hungus....did you end up fixing the cable? :drool:

It WAS at 208bpm, AND, I bet the ladders were rarely in the same place twice.

In my experience any time a corps uses a prop they try to make sure that everything is placed at the same place every night. Now it might be a step or two off and that can be very difficult and painfull in some cases. The effect would never come across if it is put out there randomly.

Now crazy moves. Check out 99 glassmen mello's going through the pit at the end. That had many many many wipe outs from rehearsal to performances. if somebody was off by an inch the whole line goes down.

I can't believe no one has said the Cadets 95 bass drum line. I saw them early in the season and there were some good wipe outs there. But awesome by championships.

Shannon

gotta be Star doing the cross to cross at the end of their show

Just my opinion.

Mom

I have watched this drill move over and over again, and I still don't fully comprehend how they pulled it off. It's amazing! :drool:

It makes me laugh how people attempt to describe the drill moves that don't have names.

• Like 1

The danger factor in the 05 move you describe puts it high on my list as neck breaking for sure.

You guys have guts for pulling that off!

By the way Karl E. Hungus....did you end up fixing the cable? :drool:

Of course he did. He is ein expert. You can imagine what happens next.

1991 Star

End of 1993 Star

1997 Cadets

1993 Cadets

1999 Cadets

(Notice a trend)

The only way we can really know is for someone to create drill that actually breaks a persons neck. :) This could be bad for recruiting, but it would give us some samples to work with and assess.

I know, I am not very funny. I try.