Rockin' Baritone Moments

Hey Nikk, as I remember it was James that started playing that thing around 1986, it was something he would play at parade warm ups and stand stills. I believe it got going strong in 88-89, and as I remember it Dan hated it.

Well, in that case...

Dan's hating of it hadn't stopped by 1991. :P

T'was fun, though, t'was...

Were you guys doing the "air guitar" thing at the gate prior to shows in 1989?

Someone should start a thread to see just how many Regiment baritones/Buicks we have here.

Edited by The Tsar

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know James won individuals one year playing Carnival of Venice.

As far as Scotland the Brave, we got REALLY obnoxious with it in 89.

It was the entire Baritone line, and Dan was definitely not thrilled with it.

I will never forget in Cincinatti when the Cavies beat us for the only time that summer their baris did Scotland the Brave back to their busses. It was a little rough, but can't blame them after having to listen to us play it all summer LOL

and Nikk, How could I forget about Smiley LOL

hasnt been said for a couple of pages so

spirit 06 bari solos ( i liked all four)

Most have already been mentioned, but I will add one soloist that had one of my favorite bari (could have been euph.) solos ever -- 2000 Cincinnati Glory soloist during the Willow Song. Truly unforgetable!

Also, as a section, I distinctly remember seeing Blue Devils live in 1994 and as the opener kept building, I remember being absolutely floored by what I heard -- the demand and the execution were simply unbelievable.

And maybe I'm a little biased as a former bari player, but I have always maintained that the quality of a hornline is measured by how strong the bari section is -- if it isn't strong enough to add the full lower/middle voice, then the balance and overall warmth of the sound just isn't there. In particular, in my opinion, a corps like Madison's best years (overall soundwise) have always been when they've had a strong bari line.

Even though the mellophones stole the show I seem to recall 91 Star having a good Bari line

After getting to play some of the '91 music for Brass Theater, I came to realize that some of the parts that I thought were good mello licks, were actually played by the baris. Those pea shooter kings that the leads played sounded a lot like the mellos.

Two from 85...

Dave Lang, of the Colts. Outstanding.

And our bari line was superb, all (I think) vets. They had a sweet feature at the beginning of our second tune, "Everything's Alright."

Also Bill Durst in '85 Suncoast was pretty good too!

Anything done by Dave Lang of the Colts. :laugh::blink:

'nuff said.

"David Lang":

Yes, we wholeheartedly agree. We also wish to mention several other "Noteable" baritone players, junior corps soloists from back in the day: Billy Hightower of St Catherine's Queensmen, Bobby Gaff of St Kevins Emerald Knights, "Baby John" Chalmus of Blessed Sacrament, Ruben Arieola St Rita's Brassmen, and Cliff Richmond of St Rapahels Buccaneers. These five, and the great John Simpson (Who called Hutchinson Kansas "Home") were the first "Baritones" inducted into the Bugler's Hall of Fame.

A few other "Noteables" from "Way Back When" include Mike Ramelli, Chcago Royal Airs, the late Tim O'Brien of Blessed Sacrament, the late "Rugi" Rogoletti of Cambridge Caballeros, and Brian Aller of the Racine Kilties.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Well, in that case...

Dan's hating of it hadn't stopped by 1991. :P

T'was fun, though, t'was...

Were you guys doing the "air guitar" thing at the gate prior to shows in 1989?

Someone should start a thread to see just how many Regiment baritones/Buicks we have here.

Yah, that was a Waldo thing, it was very oganized, and every night someone new would have a "solo". Man I forgot all about the air guitar thing.