Rockin' Baritone Moments

Actually Mark, in 1991 the solo was split between two guys: Matt "Smiley" Chapman played the lower octave solo at the beginning, and Grant played the higher octave one mid-way through. And you are right...Grant was (and I suspect still is) a goober, and one of my best friends in drum corps.

Other great bari/euph solos:

1987 - 1989 PR : James Hosmer's tone quality is simply superb. Great solos all three years.

You can't go long without mentioning Clay and the 1988 Madison Scouts, during Malaguena.

James was an all around SICK player. Period!

Clay also had the ballad solo in Slaughter in 1989. I remember on several occasions the bari sections of the midwest corps (Cavies, Star, PR, Scouts) playing the solo's of other corps while they marched or walked back to their busses or in the lot after shows. There was a lot of respect floating around back then. I guess that was the nice thing about a DCM Tour before the DCI tour. Everyone in the Midwest knew each others shows intimately ... even down to the small corps.

Edit: I do remember seeing the lead bar line from PR in 89 marching back to the busses shoulder to shoulder playing (I believe) Scotland the Brave in FULL stride. That was AWESOME!!!! I think it was only 5 or 6 players the times I saw it.

Edited by supersop

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also just watched Star '93. What a hornline. You could nominate any section of that line for a "Best of" consideration... but I like the bari run up into the last hold at the very end of the show. Good stuff.

On a completely unrelated note: just listened to the drum judge's track from Star '93 and it gave me major chills to hear the corps screaming their brains off after the last note. That's what drum corps is all about. If you'd like to hear it, please DON'T PM so I can NOT give it to you. wink.

"Ok, Star, as I catch my breath, congratulations for a wonderful, wonderful program. Thanks for bringing so many, so manynew things to the activity. Your sense of taste and touch is impeccable. The way in which you insist on approaching each phrase is very much appreciated. And really a pleasure to evaluate and adjudicate. I wish I could've seen you ten times over the year. And, uh, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to enjoying watching a video tape so I can actually see what it looks from upstairs. Anyways, thank you so much for a great performance here, and best of luck to you. Congratulations."

Edited by TSRTS13

Also just watched Star '93. What a hornline. You could nominate any section of that line for a "Best of" consideration... but I like the bari run up into the last hold at the very end of the show. Good stuff.

On a completely unrelated note: just listened to the drum judge's track from Star '93 and it gave me major chills to hear the corps screaming their brains off after the last note. That's what drum corps is all about. If you'd like to hear it, please DON'T PM so I can NOT give it to you. Or something.

Thanks for the Star "props."

The thing that sucks about that bari lick is it was actually watered down. Originally, it started with the contras, then euphs about 2 or 3 beats before the lead baris come in. I guess we weren't quick enough on those huge a** king valves we had on those euphs. It really kicked arse. The arrangement of Medea that Blast used has the entire lick (I think).

Thanks for NOT offering a copy of the judges tape :P ...I love listening to judges tapes almost more than the show itself. It's funny when they start acting like a little kid in a candy store.

Edit: I do remember seeing the lead bar line from PR in 89 marching back to the busses shoulder to shoulder playing (I believe) Scotland the Brave in FULL stride. That was AWESOME!!!! I think it was only 5 or 6 players the times I saw it.

That tradition was carried on during my marching days as well...

Wow Nikk, thanks for the compliment... I'm honored that you think so highly of it after all these years!! :grouphug:

Heh...had no idea that you were on these boards.

Man, let me tell you...that solo made me want to be a better baritone/euphonium player. I strove to get that deep, rich, resonant sound you had, and must have listened to 1988 SCV a thousand times while I was in high school.

Better late than never: That solo kicked some serious tuckus.

James was an all around SICK player. Period!

Clay also had the ballad solo in Slaughter in 1989. I remember on several occasions the bari sections of the midwest corps (Cavies, Star, PR, Scouts) playing the solo's of other corps while they marched or walked back to their busses or in the lot after shows. There was a lot of respect floating around back then. I guess that was the nice thing about a DCM Tour before the DCI tour. Everyone in the Midwest knew each others shows intimately ... even down to the small corps.

Was that 1989? I remember doing that in 1991, and for some reason I thought it was the first time we were doing it, but I could definitely be wrong.

I loved the DCM tour...I remember in 1991 I got to know a lot of the Madison Scouts bari players because we all competed against each other at DCM I&E.

Two from 85...

Dave Lang, of the Colts. Outstanding.

And our bari line was superb, all (I think) vets. They had a sweet feature at the beginning of our second tune, "Everything's Alright."

I would have to agree on both counts.

When I was marching with the Colts, I was lucky enough to have Dave Lang as a low brass instructor for a few years. I remember one time when we were warming up for a parade in Dubuque, he walked over to one of the baritone players and asked to borrow his horn. He put it to his face and out came his '85 solo from Night in Tunisia, just like he had never left the field. Needless to say, everyone within earshot was astounded. An amazing player, and a great guy too.

Was that 1989? I remember doing that in 1991, and for some reason I thought it was the first time we were doing it, but I could definitely be wrong.

I loved the DCM tour...I remember in 1991 I got to know a lot of the Madison Scouts bari players because we all competed against each other at DCM I&E.

Hey Nikk, as I remember it was James that started playing that thing around 1986, it was something he would play at parade warm ups and stand stills. I believe it got going strong in 88-89, and as I remember it Dan hated it.