Rockin' Baritone Moments

I mention Scott "Hood Ornament" Rankin of Sky and BD fame occassionally ($1 to medeabrass for the nickname!). Figured maybe I should mention his solos in 91/92 shows.

91 Camelot "If Ever I Should Love Him" (Love?Leave?)

92 Brigadoon (song's name escapes me but I can still sing it!) Played this one from the DM stand, no less.

I think several of you already mentioned the 93 solos with BD. Love the pizza story!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99 SCV bari/euph line. Great people!!! The end of the second tune and the closer wedge thing and the end of the ballad were great to listen to every day. I was very proud of them!

James Gerard had a great solo too in 99.

Eric Hand

90-99 SCV in one way or another...

oooh, somebody resurrected this.

I've already chimed in once, but that was before the 07 season started.

Gotta add Cadets 07 onto this list...that bari blast at the end of the opener was one of the musical hilights of the year for me. I'm usually a big stickler on musicality, especially blend and balance...but boy did the bari overbalance just work really well in that moment. Wow.

I have to mention BD 2006, the Bari/Euph section right after the air drumming in the closer. Sounded great, and they turned front and back while playing that syncopated passage! I was impressed every single time I saw them do it (after they figured it out and could actually do it, that is :))

I've never really listened to low brass too much, or at least haven't commited the moments to memory since I'm a high brass guy... So I'll return after I've listened to some more drum corps with that in mind :)

1989 Phantom Regiment - Right before the end and the double forte when the baritones get louder

1999 SCV - Blue Shades Park and Blow Section

2000 Cadets - Baritones downward run in the final drill move

2006 Phantom Regiment - Ave Maria Ballad :wub:

2007 Cadets - Baritone Re-entrance at the end of the opener (DAAA DAAA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA) :wub::wub::doh::lol:

A few of the bari lines that were worshiped and revered when I was marching were the 87 and 90 BD bari lines. The end of Fanfare for the New just about rips your face off, and the soli in Pinball Wizard is just genious. They've had a few outstanding soloists through the years. 83 has been mentioned and that guy is in a league of his own. Barry Tag from 91 fame was an incredible player as was Stu Whitman from 92. Jim Rogers and Scott Rankin were amazing in 93 and Jim was just as good on soprano in 96.

A few personal favorites include 84 SCV, 99 SCV, 92 and 00 Cavies, 91 and 96 PR, pretty much any 90's Madison line, 84 Garfield, and many others.

The baritone soloists from 96 Cavies and Magic were excellent as well.

There's been a lot of love for the 93 BD bari line which makes me smile. I always figured that would be one of the forgotten BD shows even if it was the one I am most proud to have marched. That was an amazing horn line, and the bari line really distinguished itself that year. We only marched 8 baritones and 8 Euphoniums, so everyone had to pull their weight. It was a fun show and a great group of guys to march with, and I'm glad so many people still enjoy that show.

I mention Scott "Hood Ornament" Rankin of Sky and BD fame occassionally ($1 to medeabrass for the nickname!). Figured maybe I should mention his solos in 91/92 shows.

91 Camelot "If Ever I Should Would Love Leave Him You" (Love?Leave?)

92 Brigadoon (song's name escapes me but I can still sing it!) Played this one from the DM stand, no less.

I think several of you already mentioned the 93 solos with BD. Love the pizza story!

Fixed :)

Edited by year1buick

I've got to add the Cavies 92 Bari line to this conversation. Though they won that year, this was a time when the Cavies weren't really known for producing great hornlines...but the baris in this year were really very good, IMO. Especially in Gavorkna Fanfare.