scv 2007 drumline

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong, but I believe that both BD and PR had female snare drummers in 1984. Don't know about since...

Dunno about Regiment, but BD DID have a lady n snare in 84...Carla Azar....but this is nothing new...Kelly Houpt -- the "chick who doesn't tick" according to Tom Float -- was in the 82 snare line (previous years as well? She'd have to clarify..and she DOES post here).

Earlier...you;d have to ask older BD alums....but there was nothing unusual about ladies in any section. if you have the video of 83, the first contra you see hoisting a K-90 contra above the head one handed was Sharon Rheinburger (sp?), and there was a lady on contra in 76...

Jerry Seawright believed in hiring the right people for staff jobs and then letting them DO their job...that same mindset applied to the members...if you could hang, you were in...in 82 there was a deaf lady on soprano...

What Jon said. I'd much rather have a talented 17-year-old for five years than have to recruit five rook-outs in five years. The youth of the line is a feature, not a bug. A big part of SCV's internal "mythology" is the 1984 hornline--five veterans (including Jeff Pearson), 12 nothings (including Rick Valenzuela), and a whopping 45 rookies. Oh, and by the way, SCV's first Jim Ott trophy (in a nutshell, we were too young and stupid to realize it was supposed to be a rebuilding year).

Waitaminnnit.....BD won the Ott....you guys and Gahfield just tied with us!! :P

Edited by 84BDsop

Wow, that was amazingly hot.

It's good thing they have a 16 year old. Last years center snare was local kid who rose through the ranks from the Cadet corps. He was first asked to march in the 2004 line and he decided himself he was not ready mentally for the challenge. I disagreed with that believing he would asymulate into line in a short while. Never the less his remaining years he marched the A line. I believe he was in the corps 5 plus years total before aging out. The traditions are most firmly engrained into the Cadets. That being said he was a perfect example of a leader within the organization. A mature, good natured, humble gentleman with monster chops and performed with massive intensity. A true JONEZ.

Point is hopefully this new 16 year old will have a long successful career in the corps.

Steve marched 2 years cadet corps, 2 years A corps. He truly was and still is a perfect example. Hes also teaching the cadet corps snare line this coming year.

The 16 year old already has 2 years of cadet corps under his belt. Come his age out year he'll be amazing, at what I believe will be a total of 7 years with the corps.

I think it Rocks that the center snare is female!

However, that line is VERY young, and down the line, that is going to hurt them. They'll be pretty darn good, but they won't be winning high drums.

Anyone else seem worried that SCV can't recruit like they used to (older more experienced members? If they don't have a good year in '07, I'm not sure where they will go. I think their management issues are really starting to show.

For the most part, SCV hasn't been able to recruit "older more experienced members" since like the 80's. '99 was probably the last year they had an older group. The '97-'99 group.

• 1 month later...
For the most part, SCV hasn't been able to recruit "older more experienced members" since like the 80's. '99 was probably the last year they had an older group. The '97-'99 group.

Much of the 03 and 04 lines had been around since 00. The 04 line saw 3 tenors, 5 snares, and 3 or 4 basses (?) age out. And the ones from 04 that didn't age out that year were all aged out after the next year. Part of what made 04 so good was the amount of people who had been around for a long time. That will help down the line, plus I saw the line yesterday...the snares are playing as clean as last years were around mid-july. Going to be an amazing year.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky