Cadets struggling to find lead trumpets and mellos?

Yes I meant "They're" Corrected. Why do think it's absurd? You don't kids are attracted to various corps based on the type of programs they do? IMO, the narration and singing could definitely have an impact on recruiting.

Yup, and the impact is probably favorable for those who use it if there is any impact. Believe it or not, most of the shows these kids are marching in high school and even college use electronics, narration, etc.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think their vocal skills were good enough.

Yup, and the impact is probably favorable for those who use it if there is any impact. Believe it or not, most of the shows these kids are marching in high school and even college use electronics, narration, etc.

We can agree to disagree. IMO, the narration and singing would have far more of a negative effect than positive with regards to recruiting, even though you're correct about its use in high school. The Cavaliers don't use narration or sing and they always have a tremendous turnout. IMO, most marching age members are overwhelmingly opposed to narration and singing in drum corps.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Just because they are doing those types of shows in High School and College doesn't me we like it.

What type of shows corps do and the personality of group play a huge roll in which corps people go to. At least it did for me.

Personally, I wouldn't have been happy as a Cadets last year and probably wouldn't have gone back, cause that wasn't the type of show I grew up seeing them do and idolizing.

Everyone has that show, or shows that made them what to get into the activity and that show that made them want to join a certain corps. So it would be a huge mistake to say previous shows don't matter to kids going to try out.

We can agree to disagree. IMO, the narration and singing would have far more of a negative effect than positive with regards to recruiting, even though you're correct about its use in high school. The Cavaliers don't use narration or sing and they always have a tremendous turnout. IMO, most marching age members are overwhelmingly opposed to narration and singing in drum corps.

So you're speaking for all marching members now? That statement is very wrong by the way.

I know a lot of kids who wouldn't dare even try out for Cadets simply because they do not like their shows. I actually used to be one of them.

Now, that's not to say that every kid who wants to march in a corps has the same opinion. Obviously some kids will be drawn to Cadets for the shows they put out, and some kids will be drawn to the Cavaliers because of their incredible status, and some will be drawn to Madison Scouts because of their extensive history...yada yada yada

There is no set reason kids go out for corps; just relax, empty spots are around every season. Besides, if you haven't heard the recordings they've put up on their website, they sound great. If they really do need leads, maybe they'll just build up the strength of what they have by working their butts off B)

So you're speaking for all marching members now? That statement is very wrong by the way.

BTW, I'm not speaking for anyone. And once again, you want to put words in my mouth. I'm stating my opinion. You can disagree with my opinion all you want, that's fine. Based on all the polls conducted on here along with my first hand contact with many current marching members, I happen to feel I'm right in my OPINION.

i doubt the previous season's show dictates how many people come out.

half the kids @ a Div I tryout are just happy that they're there and def not complaining about last year's show.

People who want to be Cavs will go Cavs, Devils will go Devils, and Cadets will go Cadets, slim chance that's gonna change based on the show. This, for the most part, holds true for any of the corps out there.