Cadets struggling to find lead trumpets and mellos?

Part of the reason people will be atracted to The Cadets are the shows they put on...it's part of their "thing"...ditto Cavies, Scouts...Crown, BD....etc for those corps proponents.

But...it's only PART of what makes them attractive to whatever segment of potential members find them a corps worth joining. The total corps culture plays a large role, IMO.

I also don't really think any one year is going top have much, if any, impact...The Cadets and Crossmen have been like this forever.

I do agree that the culture of the corps has a big impact. Some kids will be drawn to certain instructors they know. One ex Lancer marched with Star's first year to be able to march with Zingali one last time before aging out. However, I do believe that most kids are not going to go to a corps who's show designs they generally don't like, year after year. As you say, one year isn't going to make a big difference, but several would, IMO.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I would guess that those who did not agree with your petition would in general not have bothered to stop and talk to you about it, I would say that yes, most of those you spoke with who signed your petition were against amps. The rest kept on walking right past you.

We need a "sticks head in sand" emoticon for Mike. :P

OK thanks, that's the impression I am starting to get from this thread, so I don't see the fall of Rome here. Still, I thought these corps had alternative or back-up members in case something happened, like an injury or someone quitting. Are those not established at this time of the year?

not usually, for several reasons:

-there just isn''t room on the bus for loads of alternates

-a guy who hangs out all spring, hoping to fill a spot could have a guaranteed spot somewhere else

-it isn't fair to string people along for six months.

when tour starts, there might be one or two alternates who, if needed, would carry a horn and march regardless of what kind of horn is needed. if someone goes down in the middle of the summer, and there are no alternates, staff guys might call members of their bands to come fill spots, or alternatively the drill gets changed to close a spot.

the point: right now, the search for the "right" person is ongoing. in july, any warm body who can march with straight legs and stand up straight will do the trick.

-a guy who hangs out all spring, hoping to fill a spot could have a guaranteed spot somewhere else

when tour starts, there might be one or two alternates who, if needed, would carry a horn and march regardless of what kind of horn is needed. if someone goes down in the middle of the summer, and there are no alternates, staff guys might call members of their bands to come fill spots, or alternatively the drill gets changed to close a spot.

the point: right now, the search for the "right" person is ongoing. in july, any warm body who can march with straight legs and stand up straight will do the trick.

OK, thanks for the explanation. B)

This topic bores me. Is anyone up for a game of basketball?

Assemble your crew. You and your friends versus me, and the REVOLUTION.

_Dave_Chappelle_As_Prince.jpg

I'm guessing the clamor is over the fact that The Cadets announced these holes in January and are still trying to fill them 2-3 camps after. I say nothing to worry about, I mean there's usually some vets that they can convince to come back, and there will be kids that are still getting cut at other corps. If the Cadets place 5th again, I'm pretty sure we're not going to point to now and say that's where their downfall was.

It wouldn't surprise me that Hop wants to go into Spring training in May with a few extra trumpets and mellophones. So far all the kids have done is play music and some basic drill. Come spring training they will really need to march...and if history servers out...there will be injuries and potential cuts once the visual staff sees what they are working with. My son went as an mellophone alternate in 2005 just after spring training due to a bunch of injuries once serious drill work started. I think since then Hop has been more pro-active about conditioning. My son also became a trumpet alternate learning 3 spots (but members healed) and finally made it into the show marching a contra about half way through tour. Last year, after vowing to take the year off, he was asked to come back with just over 2 weeks till finals to fill another contra injury hole.

This must mean the Cadets are folding.

The top 2 upper leads and the top 2nd that have been there for years aged out this past summer.

Two other leads that marched in the past can't come back due to personal issues.

This doesn't mean that the rest of the section isn't extremely talented. I believe they are bumping up to 14 and don't just want to fill the spots with warm bodies...and with the kind of mello book that Jay writes, how could you not want to wait for the best to show up?

A lot of people are just afraid or intimidated to audition, or they don't have $2,000 plus plane tickets to shell out.

This must mean the Cadets are folding.

The top 2 upper leads and the top 2nd that have been there for years aged out this past summer.

Two other leads that marched in the past can't come back due to personal issues.

This doesn't mean that the rest of the section isn't extremely talented. I believe they are bumping up to 14 and don't just want to fill the spots with warm bodies...and with the kind of mello book that Jay writes, how could you not want to wait for the best to show up?

A lot of people are just afraid or intimidated to audition, or they don't have $2,000 plus plane tickets to shell out.

What is this...first you use logic, then you back it up with very relavent firsthand knowledge about the hornline and the arranger, and THEN make a reasonable assumption based on said knowledge??? I think the thread should be shut down immediately ^0^

:)

fun topic

Edited by raphael18