Gold vs. Silver

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just popped into my head. Why do corps use silver horns instead of gold? Does silver sound better?

Back in late 70's/early 80's Colts, Bridgemen and Memphis Brass has brass finished hoens. And Crossmen had silver horns w/ brass inside bell.

Also in the old days there were 3 vesions of 'silver' - real silver plate, chrome, and satin. I know we had all three, sometimes on the same horn (gotta love interchangable parts)

I am GUESSING that the Chrome horns were less expensive than the silver horns... and it was for a different look... silver horns weren't too big back then.. TOO expensive...

Hmmmm..I played on both kinds of horns and it played/sounded different to me.

Hmmmm..I played on both kinds of horns and it played/sounded different to me.

I know that it was often said that the brass-finished horns produces a 'mellower' sound, whatever that is, than the chrome or silver horns. However, to really tell I think you would have to have the same line playing identical arrangements on the same brand of horns where the only difference was the finish on the horn.

Easier said than done.

I think brass is harder to keep clean…(even if lacquered)

My thoughts exactly.

Chrome does look better under the lights, and yes it is another thing that differentiates us from most bands.