Aimachi

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are more than a few problems holding the japanese corps back. one large one being that their shows are written and performed on a square metric grid... vastly confusingly different than a football field. also they mostly perform inside. these two factors alone pose a major hurdle. i wouldnt expect to see any corps from japan or europe here really grinding it out for some time to come.

ill tell you this though. there are more than a few japanese corps that can throw down. (i seen em)they take music and the activity in general very differently there. if there was some way to iron out major logistical problems in getting them over here to compete, i wouldnt be surprised if more than a few american corps found themselves furthur out than 12th place.

In reply to this, Yokahama Inspires competed twice in DCA -altered their drill and time of show to meet with DCA's criteria......You can check DCA's website and see how they finished........They kicked some major tail and were with a doubt a crowd favorite....I loved them.........

In reply to this, Yokahama Inspires competed twice in DCA -altered their drill and time of show to meet with DCA's criteria......You can check DCA's website and see how they finished........They kicked some major tail and were with a doubt a crowd favorite....I loved them.........

sorry for the mispelling - I meant to say 'without a doubt a crowd favorite'......duh - it's back to school for me....LOL

The reaction reminds me of the Cadets tenor feature from 2000. There are good clips of just the break, and the whole show on both of the major vid sites. Just google it.

I will say that I am impressed at how much they move. As for the grid, maybe I'm missing something, but I thought most indoor groups used a grid or floormat of their own design.

Also, I doubt they'd have much trouble adjusting to take part in DCI competition if they wanted to. I've heard the stories of DCI corps that went to Europe and either had to paint the entire field, or sucked it up and did the show with only a 50 yard-line (just like back in the olden days).

The amount of "stuff to watch" in that show was insane (as was the crowd reaction).

The most interesting part of the weekend for me (in relation to the Aimachi show) was in terms of "crowd dynamics".

In prelims they didn't play right before MCM and the MCM got a much better reception (b/c it was an awesome show).

It's amazing how much 'flatter' MCM's Finals perfomance was, mostly from the crowd reaction standpoint but it also seemed flatter from what the performers were able to give.

The place just seemed to 'deflate' after Aimachi and MCM's show suffered because of it.

The crowd just can't 'recover' that quickly after that big a reaction.

Toodles

-"GQ"

Well, there is an international division - or used to be - they could compete in that. If they went head to head with the div 1s...they would probably get a strong crowd reaction, and then have wonderful seats for semis.

well... I don't know... finals maybe is too far, but I think they can take semis. of course there's a bunch of things to change, but I'm pretty sure they can do it. I've heard them live a few times and they really sound great... a lot better than several quarterfinals corps, IMO.

there are more than a few problems holding the japanese corps back. one large one being that their shows are written and performed on a square metric grid... vastly confusingly different than a football field. also they mostly perform inside. these two factors alone pose a major hurdle. i wouldnt expect to see any corps from japan or europe here really grinding it out for some time to come.

Not as hard as you might think.

It has more to do with scheduling as summer vacation doesn't line-up with that of the U.S. Also, the marching season here is from October to January. But there is a line of Japanese corps that have participated in DCI/DCA events.

Phoenix Regiment - 1987 exhibition

Phoenix Regiment - 1991 A-60 Class, 5th

SOKA Renaissance Vanguard (SGI Fuji) - 1992 Division II, 9th

Phoenix Regiment -1993 Division III, 11th

Baymax - 1995 Division III, 15th

Phoenix Regiment - 1995 Division III, 16th

Yokohama Scouts - 1996 Division III, 12th

Pride of SOKA (Royal Kilties) - 1997 Division II, 6th

Yamato - 1997 Division III, 12th

Baymax - 1997 Division III, 15th

Yamato - 1998 Division III, 3rd

Yokohama Scouts - 1999 Division III, 5th

Pride of SOKA (Royal Kilties) - 2000 Division II, 11th

Yokohama Inspires - 2002 Open Class, 5th

Yokohama Inspires - 2004 Open Class, 7th

................................................................................

Yokohama Scouts - 2007

Edited by bari_benzo

that whole indoor show was amazing. they are doing some great indoor stuff in japan.

I wanted to add that Aimachi has thrown down some of the best Color Guards at WGI with some of the loudest crowd reactions EVER!