Is DCA dead?

So your suggestion is... what???

These things are broke, and/or highly sensitive to "fair weather". SO FIX IT. Because it shouldn't have been an issue to start with. And I shouldn't have had to make every other post about things DCA could/should have done better. Since it shouldn't have been done wrong to start with. It's not like a hurricane or it's resulting weather patterns suddenly sneak up on you. Unless of course you're still doing business by pony express and telegraph. Which might explain a few things.

-----

As far as the other travel expense stuff. Most "local" corps (within 200 miles of where I live) that travel to non-local shows (any and every show except their home show, minimum of 4 per season) end up costing each and every member $100 per member per non-local show. That's a rough estimate. But if you distrubute the dues for a season over the number of shows that's what it comes close to, and/or exceeds. Especially if you factor in other costs like fuel, lodging, etc... Granted that most corps close to me are over 200 miles away from each other, and most are at least that much away from me. And that guestimate doesn't even factor in the costs of the mandatory fund raisers/buy out options.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the other travel expense stuff. Most "local" corps (within 200 miles of where I live) that travel to non-local shows (any and every show except their home show, minimum of 4 per season) end up costing each and every member $100 per member per non-local show. That's a rough estimate.

This is an indicator that your corps really is not in the spot that I talked about, where the corps infrastructure needs to be strong enough to give the corps member a great experience and keep the dues down when they travel to support the corps, the region and the national association. This is a short term answer, not a long term solution to a strong corps. This has nothing to do with competing, it has to do with long term viability, philosophy, and attitude.

These things are broke, and/or highly sensitive to "fair weather". SO FIX IT. Because it shouldn't have been an issue to start with. And I shouldn't have had to make every other post about things DCA could/should have done better. Since it shouldn't have been done wrong to start with. It's not like a hurricane or it's resulting weather patterns suddenly sneak up on you. Unless of course you're still doing business by pony express and telegraph. Which might explain a few things.

#### easy to point a finger and say "You screwed up! FIX IT!". Lot harder to actually come up with viable ideas. I'd love to hear some ideas on how to handle a hurricane that was predicted a week or two ahead of time to maybe hit. Especially since travel/hotel/bus/etc plans had been made months ahead of time. DCA was between a rock and a hard place and actually lucked out that the whole weekend wasn't like Saturday.

As background I work for IT for Dept of Defense. If something breaks, the last thing the people with gold braid want to hear is complaints and who was at fault. First thing they want to hear is how to fix the problem and keep it from biting them in the ### again. I don't see any difference in improving DCA.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

"Not really?" I referenced two years of my drum corps experience in which being the better corps and losing sucked. Nobody I marched with enjoyed being the better corps and losing. You're the first person I've ever heard say they would prefer it. Wow. I have all the friends and memories that you are speaking of. I've even got a championship ring, so that's not the point. The point is that being better and losing sucks.
Well, make me the second person, then.

I was also part of the "boo heard around the world" (in which a penalty dropped us 2 spots, mind you), I also experienced the standing ovations and I too would take that over any trophy. I marched to have fun. I didn't go into the Renegades thinking "I'm going to be a champion". I joined because I wanted to experience the field, rekindle old friendships and make some new ones. And although I have great memories from my junior years, none of them compare to what I felt when I marched with the Renagades at DCA. From singing Ave Maria with the hornline right before we took the field. From screams so loud we couldn't hear any count-offs. To the standing o's and cries of "thanks for coming" throughout the show and as we left the field.

So, you can keep your ring. Thanks to my Rengade family (and I'll add Dream, RCR, Kilties, Govies, MBI and Corpvets to that as well), I already have my areward.

Edited by skajerk

Well, make me the second person, then.

I was also part of the "boo heard around the world" (in which a penalty dropped us 2 spots, mind you), I also experienced the standing ovations and I too would take that over any trophy. I marched to have fun. I didn't go into the Renegades thinking "I'm going to be a champion". I joined because I wanted to experience the field, rekindle old friendships and make some new ones. And although I have great memories from my junior years, none of them compare to what I felt when I marched with the Renagades at DCA. From singing Ave Maria with the hornline right before we took the field. From screams so loud we couldn't hear any count-offs. To the standing o's and cries of "thanks for coming" throughout the show and as we left the field.

So, you can keep your ring. Thanks to my Rengade family (and I'll add Dream, RCR, Kilties, Govies, MBI and Corpvets to that as well), I already have my areward.

Read it again. I don't count either of the two years I referenced as a loss or a waste of time. I have all the happy memories, the friendships similar to anyone else that marched drum corps. If you think I joined in Carolina Crown, in it's third year of existence, to take the world by storm and win trophies, then you are being obtuse. I had fun in '92 and it was a great summer. I merely stated that it sucked to lose in finals to a corps that we were better than. It's my opinion....deal with it.

Oh...and if you think you wouldn't have had some extra happy memories if you had have won, then you are again being obtuse. It doesn't mean (and I didn't say) that by not winning everything you did means nothing. It doesn't even take anything away from what you did do. However, winning DOES add something. I'm sure the entire Renegade corps would have left their championship medals on the field had they won.....please.

There's a lot of talk about "going national", isn't there? I think we need to define what "going national" means for DCA. Some seem to think it means getting every all-age corps from coast to coast to go to Scranton Rochester every year. Worse yet, others are now suggesting more travel. Time for a wake-up call.

DCA is a weekend-only circuit.

IMO the above is the prime reason DCA can never be like DCI...nor should it even try.

IMO the above is the prime reason DCA can never be like DCI...nor should it even try.

Yep - DCA = "We're Weekend Warriors 'cause a lot of us have jobs".

And I'm including summer and part time jobs for the marchers still in school.

Been there, done that.. a loooong time ago. :rolleyes:

DCA should never be like DCI unless it works for weekend warriors. Large Regional weekend shows can work for weekend warriors and help DCA prosper.