2004 Phantom Ballad

That is correct - however, it also happened to be the exact day of finals that year. Just turns out it was one of those bizarre coincidences.

Maybe the style of the music was a little different than what people have come to expect from PR - but that hornline was vintage Regiment. Tons of power, esspecially from the low brass.

As for 2001 - I'm pretty comfortable saying that it was THE most popular show of 01 on the DCM tour, and definately up there by the time they got to championships. Just a GREAT show overall.

You can definitely hear it on the ToC DVD during their standstill....that was a hell of a euph line, one of their best that I've heard in years.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very relieved to learn I'm not the only one who thought this was way better than fifth. Probably not better than 007, but still very good. I haven't seen any other '04 shows, but they had all better be amazing if Apasionada 874 got fifth. I usually don't fall in love with shows just from seeing them on Google Video once (naughty, but I bought the DVD, so whatever), but this one struck me as soon as it got to the first accelerando in the opening with the shrinking block drill... the pit was also very well done and the battery sounded great and there was some nice drill, as well as the Phantom horn sound that's been mentioned before. Sounded especially challenging.

Also, is this grouping of "movements" correct with correct titles? (I've ripped the concert recording from the DVD and want to cut it into the three movements for the sake of ease of use... and as for correct titles, the absence of any characters with accents is suspicious) "Buenos Aires Hora Cero ~ La Muerte del Angel" "Oblivion" "Imagenes 676 ~ Adios Nonino ~ Tres Minutos con la Realidad"

[edit: fifth, not first]

[edit2: Amazon was part of the corpsreps title...wooops.]

Edited by Stryfe

That is correct - however, it also happened to be the exact day of finals that year. Just turns out it was one of those bizarre coincidences.

I remember an interview on Semifinals night between Dan Potter and the Regiment DM and Dan asked what the 874 stood for. The Regiment DM smirked and just said it was an important date in Regiment history. August 1974 was Regiment's first year in finals and 2004 marked their 30th consecutive year of appearing on Finals night. Whether that is the true reason for the 874 who knows.

Edited by BadgerTan

Whoever mentioned area codes was close.

Although it was a huge coincidence that 874 was the "date" of finals that year, the design staff was pretty forthcoming with the fact that the three numbers really didn't mean anything. They wanted the show to be called "Appasionata", but felt that the word alone wasn't enough. They were at a design meeting at a hotel hear Chicago's O'Hare airport and decided that the local area code (847) would work. After realizing that some people might associate that with the Cavaliers (847 is Rosemont's area code), they switched the two numbers and got 874.

Fin.

I'm a big fan of Regiment's '04 show. I thought it was musically wonderful & very exciting. Their Semis performance in Denver rocked the house. Unfortunately Guard was an absolute killer weakness, both in design & execution. There was no way they were moving up with a weakness that glaring.

However, in comes Adam Sage in '05, and tuh-da! Just reimagine that '04 show with a Sage color guard and that show would have been nipping at SCV's heals, fighting for 3rd.

Just my humble opinion,

Harvey